website statistics

Triathlon at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

If the triathlons do not go ahead on Wednesday, Friday remains a back-up date for both events.

If the water quality is still not good enough by Friday, organisers have said the event could be contested as a duathlon - just the cycling and running legs - as a last resort.

The triathlon made its Olympic debut in Sydney in 2000. The event features 1500m of swimming, a 40km bike ride and a 10km run to finish.

While a mixed relay was added in Tokyo three years ago, there has never been a duathlon in the Olympics. Ordinarily that would consist of a 40km cycle and a 10km run.

However, at the Paris Test Event in 2023, a duathlon format was trialled, with the swim replaced by an additional 5km run.

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

If tomorrow doesn't work, 2 August is the backup with 8 different scenarions, some of which include a duathlon option. That's what the coaches have been told, at least.

A duathlon is completely stupid to me. Is there any precedence for it? 

Can they just fly the athletes to Tahiti and do it there? It looks nice. 

10 minutes ago, Robertino said:

Wow. Did not think that would happen. I might have to stay up to watch that first swim leg.

7 hours ago, orangeman said:

A duathlon is completely stupid to me. Is there any precedence for it? 

Can they just fly the athletes to Tahiti and do it there? It looks nice. 

There have been duathlons at World Cup level, but not important at important meets