website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

:GBR outperforming :USA in qualifying (both individually all-around and in the team standings) seems like quite a surprise?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

:GBR outperforming :USA in qualifying (both individually all-around and in the team standings) seems like quite a surprise?

Not hugely surprising - GB outscored the US at 2022 Worlds qualifying but then the position was reversed in Antwerp last year. The teams seem pretty well matched. 

What I would say was surprising was the size of the gap - normally the two teams are within 1 point of each other so for GB to be over 3 points ahead was probably not expected. 

3 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Not hugely surprising - GB outscored the US at 2022 Worlds qualifying but then the position was reversed in Antwerp last year. The teams seem pretty well matched. 

What I would say was surprising was the size of the gap - normally the two teams are within 1 point of each other so for GB to be over 3 points ahead was probably not expected. 

The return of Joe Fraser to the team after his injury problems is a big plus given his all round abilities. I think it just gives them an edge over the Americans but as always it'll come down to who makes the fewest mistakes in what I guess will be the battle for bronze. You used to be able to count on the US having problems on the pommel horse but they've upped their game on this piece of apparatus now.

31 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

The return of Joe Fraser to the team after his injury problems is a big plus given his all round abilities. I think it just gives them an edge over the Americans but as always it'll come down to who makes the fewest mistakes in what I guess will be the battle for bronze. You used to be able to count on the US having problems on the pommel horse but they've upped their game on this piece of apparatus now.

I don't think Fraser has quite managed to find the form that he had pre injury but he definitely brings a stability to the squad and barring disasters, you know you're going to have 6 safe routines but not necessarily the kind of scores that will get him into the individual apparatus finals.

Totally agree with you that it will come down to who makes the fewest mistakes - as a basic measure, you'd want to be confident that in the final, you're not going to be counting any 12.x scores.

Today Brody Malone a supposed experienced gymnast had a nightmare of a competition and I think that hurt the americans to in the end trail the brits by a huge margin and even getting behind Ukraine.

But with 3 up 3 count in the final and with Malone maybe shaking off the nerves and considering will be hist last show at the Games since he wont compete AA or apparatus finals, could come strong as he has plenty of difficulty and experience.

Remember, USA used to do it well in the qualifying rounds in previous Games and even getting 3rd but when 3 up 3 count came they just couldn't match and always ended short of a team medal. So maybe this time could be different.

Still I think Khoi Young not getting in to the team is a big mistake. 

12 minutes ago, Braulio said:

Today Brody Malone a supposed experienced gymnast had a nightmare of a competition and I think that hurt the americans to in the end trail the brits by a huge margin and even getting behind Ukraine.

But with 3 up 3 count in the final and with Malone maybe shaking off the nerves and considering will be hist last show at the Games since he wont compete AA or apparatus finals, could come strong as he has plenty of difficulty and experience.

Remember, USA used to do it well in the qualifying rounds in previous Games and even getting 3rd but when 3 up 3 count came they just couldn't match and always ended short of a team medal. So maybe this time could be different.

Still I think Khoi Young not getting in to the team is a big mistake. 

I would add that we lost a lot of points too today