website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Shoko Miyata, the captain of the :JPN women’s team will miss out on the Olympics due to underage smoking.  

According to the Japanese law, the legal smoking age is 20 and Miyata is 19. 

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2024/07/2dd5cb6e4b9f-gymnastics-japan-womens-captain-miyata-to-leave-france-over-smoking.html

Hmmm...was there an issue with Phelps and weed in his career...though its hard to see the USA sending home someone who took a drink underage for example.

9 hours ago, NearPup said:

:IRI and :ISR in the same men's mixed group and :ALG  and :ISR in the same women's mixed group :popcorn:

If I'm not mistaken, the issue is generally when athletes from these nations have to compete head-to-head (as in, sports like tennis, combat sports and so on), not necessarily when they compete in the same 'group' (say, road cycling or athletics). Surely @MHSN can say that with more certainty, but I believe that's what I've understood on here :p 

If that's the case, this shouldn't be an issue I think, since they don't compete head-to-head here, but just happen to be in the same group. At least I sincerely hope they'll all compete.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

If I'm not mistaken, the issue is generally when athletes from these nations have to compete head-to-head (as in, sports like tennis, combat sports and so on), not necessarily when they compete in the same 'group' (say, road cycling or athletics). Surely @MHSN can say that with more certainty, but I believe that's what I've understood on here :p 

If that's the case, this shouldn't be an issue I think, since they don't compete head-to-head here, but just happen to be in the same group. At least I sincerely hope they'll all compete.

another victim of flagbearer curse before even the start of the games? :d

but no I highly doubt that will be a problem, as you said that's more an issue for head-to-head sports. but you never can be sure, the previous government and their guys are still at office. back in 2008 they withdrew a swimmer last minute (for the first time in a non-head-to-head sport) which wasn't supposed to happen 

and they probably won't be competing in the same apparatus anyway. just have to sit next to each other for an hour or more.

I'm more worried about the fact that :IRI Olfati is drawn in subdivision 1 and has to be the flagbearer only few hours before his competition :facepalm:. that was a dumb pick anyway :thumbdown:  

Edited by MHSN

:NED Vera van Pol is out with a foot injury sustained in training, Tisha Volleman will replace her.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Biles will attempt a skill on uneven bars that no one's done yet, the International Gymnastics Federation said Friday. If successful, it would be the sixth skill named for Biles and would give her one on every event. She has two skills each on vault and floor exercise, and one on balance beam.

Skills are named for the first gymnast who does them successfully at a major international meet. Biles begins competition at the Paris Olympics on Sunday with qualifications, but she could do it at any point during the Games to have it named for her.

20240726_203953.jpg

1 hour ago, BruT06 said:

There are just 18 athletes that will perform 2 vaults in men's qualifications, so the others are not eligible for the finals. That is a bit weird for me...

So what happens to the 🥉?

2 hours ago, BruT06 said:

There are just 18 athletes that will perform 2 vaults in men's qualifications, so the others are not eligible for the finals. That is a bit weird for me...

Probably not worth it for all-arounders to perform two vaults, since it's very of hard to qualify to final if you don't have two very difficult vaults.