website statistics

Taekwondo ATU Asian Olympic Qualifier 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

yes the field is weak because of the obvious reason of limiting countries 

I agree with your general idea , but I would drop the Grand Slam completely. it's a waste of time. also 4 Wild Cards are too much. no room for charity with only 16 athletes per weight. (it's not like Judo with millions of quotas)

from what I head WT is going to change its ranking system, it will be 2 years period (which makes more sense than 4 years) and if my memory serves me well they are thinking about a new qualification system, something like Judo, awarding all quotas by the ranking. at least that's a proposal they are thinking about.

btw if some people here are happy about the restrictions in this sport (which is already developed in all continents), what would they say about the same idea in athletics or swimming ? I mean you can enter just one swimmer in all freestyle events, that sounds terrible, right ?

I am not in favor of GS but somehow I have the feeling they will not give it up. 
and I read somewhere that the period 2025-2026 although not relevant for Olympic qualification it is still important as it would be crucial for GS qualification. 

and honestly no one happier than me if they move it to full ranking qualification similar to judo. As the number per category is really very low it would be really important to have the best athletes at the Olympic tournament. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Taekwondo needs to remove the 2 men/2 women limit and just make it 1 athlete per event. You shouldn't be competing against athletes from different events in order to qualify to the Olympics. It's the same thing for weightlifting.

And Freestyle Skiing needs to remove it's 32 athlete per country limit :whistle:

It's at least possible now for a country to qualify in every taekwondo event, which imo was one of the big improvement over the old (pre-Rio) qualification system.

Edited by NearPup

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MHSN said:

btw if some people here are happy about the restrictions in this sport (which is already developed in all continents), what would they say about the same idea in athletics or swimming ? I mean you can enter just one swimmer in all freestyle events, that sounds terrible, right ?

Any individual sport where only one athlete per nation can compete in an event is terrible, indeed :p 

kind of understand it when the entire field of participants is only 16 athletes (which is of course not the case in swimming for example), but then the solution would be to simply have a more grown up tournament instead of only 16 participants...but then we get to the athlete limit which apparently can't be touched.

It's all not great, of course we all want to see at least the entire world's top-15 or so compete....are there many countries with multiple athletes in the top-15 in taekwondo? I would assume South Korea and Iran, but that's really not more than a guess :d 

Edit: oh wait, it's not even '1 athlete per weight class', but 'X athletes in total, where X is lower than the number of weight classes'? :yikes: 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

23 minutes ago, NearPup said:

And Freestyle Skiing needs to remove it's 32 athlete per country limit :whistle:

It's at least possible now for a country to qualify in every taekwondo event, which imo was one of the big improvement over the old (pre-Rio) qualification system.

It's a step in the right direction, but needing to be in the top 6 is quite a high bar.

Of course, if I had my way, I'd bump taekwondo (and boxing and wrestling for that matter) to 24 athletes per event.

15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Edit: oh wait, it's not even '1 athlete per weight class', but 'X athletes in total, where X is lower than the number of weight classes'? :yikes: 

Yeah, that's the problem. I understand and agree with 1 athlete per weight class rule. the current format says 2 (out of 4) per gender. you can have a full team only if all of them finish in top 5 (or in some cases 6) of the world ranking which is really hard. lots of athletes in top 10 of World ranking will miss the Olympic because their NOCs already qualified 2. 

Taekwondo entered the Olympics back in 2000, at the time it was all Korea, IOC made this rule to prevent Korea from winning easy 8 gold medals. but this is not the same anymore. Korea struggles to even qualify lots of athletes. 

17 minutes ago, Pasolini said:

Surprised that :UZBNikita RAFALOVICH was not chosen here

that was expected actually. Rafalovich has a good rank mostly because of his old results, their 80kg guys (both Jaysunov and Salaev) had more success recently, Jaysunov was only few seconds away from qualifying through the Grand Slam. 

beside that 80kg will be much easier for then to earn the quota.