website statistics

Table Tennis ITTF Team World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

5 hours ago, Dolby said:

So, new PSR should be :USA:IND:AUT:SWE:HKG:POR 

So, :IND with SR 13 would get 784 points (Total points: 2106), :SWE with SR 15 would get 672 (2030) and :POR with SR 17 would get 574 (2024)

Infact Poland would be at 2114 (assuming same SR). So, by my calculations :POR is the one who will miss out. 

Why would the SR get renewed. There is a calculation of how team points are distributed among individual players, but I don't understand it. Have you taken this into account and can you show the actual calculations 

what a pity :( our guys did good in general but beating World #2 Germany was too much to ask. I really hope they don't end up #1 among non-qualified teams in the ranking. that would be really hard to swallow, being this close.

the key match was vs Portugal in the group round, If they had taken their chances, they would be in a different path, far from tier 1 teams. 

these guys made lots of fans here by beating Japan at the Asian Games few months ago. that was a miracle, unfortunately they couldn't repeat it here. 

30 minutes ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Why would the SR get renewed

Because it was mentioned by the ITTF that this WChs will affect the ranking in singles via converting points using some formula, but I don't give a damn how it works. But singles ranking will be changed 

Appalling from :ENG, I know Pitchford was injured but Drinkhall should've won his game from 2-0 up and Jarvis should've done better in his too. Given the position we were in coming into this, missing out on the quota is a major disappointment and sums up GB table tennis down to a T - the best we can hope/aim for now is 3-4 quotas from the singles qualifiers. 

3 hours ago, Illya said:

I think it's the wrong context, because they are (probably) talking about entering the top-8 and direct quota

If not directly, then we should be qualified by ranking, right?

11 hours ago, Illya said:

Because it was mentioned by the ITTF that this WChs will affect the ranking in singles via converting points using some formula, but I don't give a damn how it works. But singles ranking will be changed 

Documentation of how ranking points of team tournaments are assigned to individual players. Look at 3.1.2.
https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/ITTF-Table-Tennis-World-Ranking-Regulations-20240202.pdf

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 9.28.17 AM.png

Ok let me clarify.

World Team Ranking has the component of Singles Ranking. How is this component calculated? With help of a list having the top 3 players score. For example, China's score would be 8800 (Sun) + 4505 (Wang) + 4325 (Chen) = 17630. Similarly all nations score is calculated and a list is formed. Now, the top nation in the list gets 2000 points. 2nd placed nation gets 1850 and so on. 

Now, why would this ranking change from what we are seeing at ITTF website at present? Because Singles Ranking of players will change not only because of World Championships (minor change) but also because of points dropped from Feb 2023 and other points earned in Feb 2024. For example, if you check HKG has a Singles Total of 1163 (including 580 of DOO Hoi Kem) but in the WR published on 20 Feb, DOO has only 315 points. So, HKG's score would see a drop in the next update. 

Since, March Team Ranking would be used for Olympic Qualification, it is safe to assume that March Singles Ranking would be used to calculate that Team Ranking. 

https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/ITTF-World-Team-Ranking-Regulation-20230524.pdf

Since, I have done my calculations on the fly with the main aim of finding out if India has qualified or not, there is a good chance that there might be some errors in the calculations. It would be great if someone can do proper calculations to find out the correct scores. 

In the Men's section, since the gap between India (last qualified) and Iran (Reserve 1) is decent according to calculations of @Siddhartha Talukdar I have not bothered to check it. Would appreciate if someone did similar calculations for Men's section as well. 

Did a superficial analysis on Men's Team including Singles rankings, obviously rankings changes for 40 x 3 players would be a mammoth exercise. So this is my rankings scenario

Rank NOC Feb pts WTT 2022 Singles Feb Mar pts WTT 2024 Singles Mar
1 Slovenia 2420 1072 848 2356 1072 784
2 Croatia 2316 1072 622 2316 1072 622
3 India 1942 1072 492 1870 1072 470
4 Iran 936 226 332 1810 1072 360
5 Hong Kong 2660 1464 574 1770 574 574

Edited by Siddhartha Talukdar