website statistics

Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2024

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Just to make sure, there is no loophole that allows a song released on 30 December 2022, right?

I just came to the realization that one of my very favourite songs is from a Dutch artist, of which I had no idea, but is released literally 2 days before the cut-off date :( 

There's this one:

1. (a) All songs must be ORIGINAL, NEW MATERIAL, released on or after January 1st, 2023. Exceptions will be made in the following circumstances:

• (i) A song released as a single no more than 6 months before the cut-off date may ONLY be chosen if that song was subsequently released on an album for the first time during the official period of eligibility. For example, a song which was released as a single on July 1st, 2022 may be chosen if that song was later included in an album released on January 1st, 2023 or thereafter.

But if the album was also released in 2022, the song can't be eligible.

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Just to make sure, there is no loophole that allows a song released on 30 December 2022, right?

I just came to the realization that one of my very favourite songs is from a Dutch artist, of which I had no idea, but is released literally 2 days before the cut-off date :( 

If the song was released in an album in 2023 then it’s eligible. Also if it’s just 2 days before the cut off point we can make a rational decision to allow it. Essentially the song will have become known in 2023 and so it seems right it should be allowed. For the annual contest we will always have this weird situation with songs released at the very end of the year but in reality they became known to their audience throughout the months after that.

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

If the song was released in an album in 2023 then it’s eligible. Also if it’s just 2 days before the cut off point we can make a rational decision to allow it. Essentially the song will have become known in 2023 and so it seems right it should be allowed. For the annual contest we will always have this weird situation with songs released at the very end of the year but in reality they became known to their audience throughout the months after that.

Oddly the song itself was released on 30 December 2022, just like it's 'album' (four songs), which seems to have a 2023 copyright (© 2023 Universal International Music B.V.). For what it's worth, it first appeared in the Dutch top-40 in week 6 of 2023, so somewhere in February:

Spoiler

upZnuKk.png

I'm not sure if it's the organizers who decide about these things, or the Committee, but I'll leave it in the hands of the authorities for now and meanwhile go on the hunt for a plan B. Obviously I'd be happy if it's allowed, but just as obviously I'll accept whichever ruling is made (especially since personally I would understand both allowing it and not allowing it) :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Oddly the song itself was released on 30 December 2022, just like it's 'album' (four songs), which seems to have a 2023 copyright (© 2023 Universal International Music B.V.). For what it's worth, it first appeared in the Dutch top-40 in week 6 of 2023, so somewhere in February:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not sure if it's the organizers who decide about these things, or the Committee, but I'll leave it in the hands of the authorities for now and meanwhile go on the hunt for a plan B. Obviously I'd be happy if it's allowed, but just as obviously I'll accept whichever ruling is made (especially since personally I would understand both allowing it and not allowing it) :p 

You can select the song, we have had similar instances in the past for other nations and it absolutely makes sense that this song should be allowed. There really wasn’t enough time for this song to have been selected for last year’s edition so in my mind it belongs in this year’s edition.

Its also the reason I added the loophole about the album to help get some of these types of songs qualified by a rule. For others we have always used a little discretion. The fact that this song charted in 2023 is another indicator it belongs in this edition :) 

Edited by OlympicIRL

2 hours ago, NikolaB said:

This song is more than 10 years old 😉

:mumble: The release date result 16.06.2023 (Label Number 19687120686 Columbia/Sony), at least for this version of the song.

If there is an old version but isn't with both singers, this new version song entry seems allowed.

@Erigert can you confirm this fact?