website statistics

Men's Field Hockey FIH Olympic Qualification Tournaments 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

36 minutes ago, Josh said:

@thepharoah why are you disappointed with ties against Spain and South Korea? Aren’t those good results from an Egyptian perspective?

We didn't tie with Spain , we haven't played them yet , a tie with Korea and loss to Austria , I was disappointed with the tie with Korea because we were leading until last 2 minutes that's it and ofc a loss to Austria reminded me that this team always ruin it whenever they are close to some achievement. 

We got robbed in African Olympic Qualifucations against SA where 2 goals were cancelled by video review , but still this team always choke in the last stages of a big competition for them 

I think the popularity ranking of olympic team sports is as follows:

Football

Basketball

Ice hockey

Rugby/Handball/Volleyball

Water polo/Field hockey

Would be interesting to compare where swimming/athletics/tennis/golf/road cycling/biathlon/alpine skiing/snowboard rank in comparison.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I view the summer team sports as:

Football > Basketball > Volleyball > Handball > Rugby Sevens > Field Hockey > Water Polo

Rugby Sevens and Field Hockey are close IMO. Rugby Sevens does better with men while Field Hockey does better with women. Rugby Sevens also has a better global distribution IMO.

Ice Hockey (and winter sports in general) is difficult to compare. If we hold Ice Hockey to Summer Olympics standards it would rank just above Water Polo at best because so few nations participate, but fewer nations take part in winter sports so is it a fair comparison?

Well, since Argentina is kinda a good parameter to compare these particular sports :p....  

On IG: 

Los Pumas (union team): 491K followers

Pumas 7s: 235K 

Hockey Federation: 135K 

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think the popularity ranking of olympic team sports is as follows:

Football

Basketball

Ice hockey

Rugby/Handball/Volleyball

Water polo/Field hockey

Would be interesting to compare where swimming/athletics/tennis/golf/road cycling/biathlon/alpine skiing/snowboard rank in comparison.

I think you have Ice Hockey way to high.

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I view the summer team sports as:

Football > Basketball > Volleyball > Handball > Rugby Sevens > Field Hockey > Water Polo

Rugby Sevens and Field Hockey are close IMO. Rugby Sevens does better with men while Field Hockey does better with women. Rugby Sevens also has a better global distribution IMO.

Ice Hockey (and winter sports in general) is difficult to compare. If we hold Ice Hockey to Summer Olympics standards it would rank just above Water Polo at best because so few nations participate, but fewer nations take part in winter sports so is it a fair comparison?

Depends where you are. In 2012 hockey was second only to football in terms of crowd attendances among the team sports.

6 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

You'd be surprised at the popularity of hockey. Primarily because of the NHL. If there wasn't a league as such, it would probably be at the bottom with water polo

14 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

You must excuse me, gentlemen; not being English, I sometimes find your sense of humor rather difficult to follow !

Movie the Moonraker. my fav quote from that movie, work everytime