6.) :AUS - 5240 (CC)

7.) :CAN - 4870 (CC)

8.) :USA - 4830 (CC)

9.) :IRL - 5125

10.) :JPN - 3970 (CC)

--------------------------

11.) :POL - 4075

12.) :CHN - 3470 (CC)

For the outstanding Continental Champs, as with the men, it will be close between New Zealand and Australia. I'll just assume that last year's result is replicated giving Australia 900 points and New Zealand 810. In Asia, Japan should win and gain 900 points whilst China will get 810. Finally I expect Canada to take top spot for the Americas ahead of USA. 

Adjusted points total would therefore be:

1.) :GBR - 7590

2.) :NZL - 7360

3.) :FRA - 6655

4.) :ITA - 6200

5.) :AUS - 6140 

5.) :GER - 5960

7.) :CAN - 5770

8.) :USA - 5640

9.) :IRL - 5125

10.) :JPN - 4870

--------------------------

11.) :CHN - 4280

12.) :POL - 4075

Am I right in thinking that means GBR are now mathematically as they can't be passed by both of china and japan?

31 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Am I right in thinking that means GBR are now mathematically as they can't be passed by both of china and japan?

I think so - there are only 2400 points available from Nations Cup so not enough points left for them to be able to overtake GB. 

4 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I think so - there are only 2400 points available from Nations Cup so not enough points left for them to be able to overtake GB. 

Should that not be 3200 as there are four riders counting? 

13 minutes ago, Oldira said:

Should that not be 3200 as there are four riders counting? 

Apologies you are right - each Nations Cup event is worth a maximum of 1600. I was looking at the column for continental champs which are only worth 1200. 

The men's sprint squad are fast becoming the weak link in an otherwise pretty impressive :GBRCycling team.

I think there is a strong chance that the women's sprint squad will bring back 2 medals from Paris - likely silver in team sprint but with a decent chance of gold in individual sprint. I don't think Finucane will medal in the Keirin but the event is always a bit of a lottery and can easily throw up a surprise medalist.

The women's endurance squad are probably marginal favourites for gold in the team pursuit. I am guessing Archibald will be selected for the Omnium and if she is, she should be in the mix for a medal but probably wouldn't go in as favourite. The squad will have plenty of options when it comes to the madison - I think Neah Evans is likely to be picked and probably with Elinor Barker in a repeat of the pairing from Glasgow. They would go into the competition as serious medal contenders but again the event often owes more to tactics and luck than form.

On the men's side, the team pursuiters are back on track to qualify for Paris after crashing out in Glasgow and all things being equal, they should come back with a medal. I certainly don't think we will see a repeat of Tokyo where they were caught and crashed. The biggest issue for them is likely to be the fact that they will probably be quite early in the starting order so wont be able to react to the performances of :ITA and :DEN. For both the omnium and the madison, :GBRwill have strong team to select from and will be medal contenders in both events but not necessarily favourites.

Then we come to the men's sprint team, and at the moment, you would have to say it does not look likely that :GBRwill win any medal across the men's team sprint, individual sprint or keirin - that is something that has not happened since Athens in 2004. In the team sprint, realistically the best they could hope for is a bronze but to do that they will likely need to overcome France. They have one of the best lead out riders in Ali Fielding and Hamish Turnbull is able to hold his own as second man. The question will then be whether they stick with Jack Carlin as the 3rd man or opt for Jo Truman.  Neither Carlin or Truman were anywhere close to medaling in the individual sprint at this week's Euros and we've seen nothing to suggest they will perform any better in the keirin.

At this stage, the only unknown is going to be the impact that the new tech will have. I don't think the new bikes are being used in Apeldoorn this week so the only outing it had was in qualifying for team pursuit in Glasgow and it ended up in a heap on the floor after the crash.  

From what I have seen Finucane will go to Paris as a strong gold fav in the individual sprint and GB will push Ger for gold in the team sprint. The Keirin will be quite open and up for grabs I think.

the men’s spring side however for GB does not look competitive, I don’t see any medals from those 3 events.

for the endurance events, GB should be competitive across all formats.

the team pursuit teams look really strong, especially with Barker and Archibald coming back into the team. Possible Laura Kenny making the team. On the men’s side, can they overhaul the Danes and the Italians? I’m not sure but they appear closer than 2023.

The individual pursuit also look promising with Bigham riding strongly. Ganna I assume will start fav. On the women’s side, I don’t know what the plan is for the GB representatives. Possibly an entry for Kenny if she makes team?

i think Katie will ride the omnium and not the Madison (unless Laura does make it back onto the team), and Neah will ride Madison or the Points race.

On the Men’s side there are a variety of options to go with including Vernon, Hayter, Wood, Tidwell. It should be interesting to see how the team begins to take shape in the coming months. 

1 hour ago, RussB said:

From what I have seen Finucane will go to Paris as a strong gold fav in the individual sprint and GB will push Ger for gold in the team sprint. The Keirin will be quite open and up for grabs I think.

the men’s spring side however for GB does not look competitive, I don’t see any medals from those 3 events.

for the endurance events, GB should be competitive across all formats.

the team pursuit teams look really strong, especially with Barker and Archibald coming back into the team. Possible Laura Kenny making the team. On the men’s side, can they overhaul the Danes and the Italians? I’m not sure but they appear closer than 2023.

The individual pursuit also look promising with Bigham riding strongly. Ganna I assume will start fav. On the women’s side, I don’t know what the plan is for the GB representatives. Possibly an entry for Kenny if she makes team?

i think Katie will ride the omnium and not the Madison (unless Laura does make it back onto the team), and Neah will ride Madison or the Points race.

On the Men’s side there are a variety of options to go with including Vernon, Hayter, Wood, Tidwell. It should be interesting to see how the team begins to take shape in the coming months. 

There are no individual pursuit or stand alone points races at the games, only the Omnium and the madison.

Full track program : Team sprint, sprint, keirin, Team pursuit, omnium, madison, all x 2 (men and women)

FWIW : It's nigh on impossible to draw much from the women's team pursuit here in the absence of Archibald, Barker and Kenny; for some years Archibald in the madison has been in the Redgrave position - i.e. they used to ask what was the best Coxless pair in the world, the answer was Steve Redgrave and whoever he chose to row with. Archibald is in almost that position with Madison, the best team is Archibald and whoever comes with her. The 'superstar' team is Archibald and Kenny, obviously, but I suspect the best team is Archibald and Elinor Barker at this point. Nonetheless the depth for GBR is excellent, with Neah Evans possibly only fourth choice for an individual race, yet capabale of medalling is he does.

The men's pursuit team have done what they needed to do, and I'm reasonably confident now they're gonna make it - It wil be interesting to see if the rumours about Josh Tarling are true, if so, you could be looking at a team of 5 including Bigham, Tanfield, Hayter, Vernon and Tarling that will be extremely competitive - I don't know at this stage if reigning Omnium champ Matt Walls is likely to be in a position to compete this time, or if Tarling gives room to possibly take Mark Stewart for Madison only.

Women's team sprint have, I believe, booked a spot definitively. Safe to say the emergance of Emma Finucane as the boss of match sprint is very good news, though I do not expect the Germans to give up without a fight. GBR will, however, be very happy with how the land lies at the moment, and will hope that the returning Marchant can come through too.

The men's team sprint is a shambles in historic terms. Carlin has not kicked on, though he remains a threat in Kierin. The reality is the Dutch sprinters look more or less unstoppable, certainly in team sprint and sprint.

Completely left field, in the spirit of the Tarling rumours, we maybe shouldn't rule out Zoe Backstedt as a back up option in team pursuit

AS for My :IRL hate, I was very pleased with Laura Gillespies run in the Omnium. If we add that to Ben Healy and Eddie Dunbar on the road, I'm pretty happy.

Edited by mpjmcevoy

That is my mistake - I had forgotten that the Points race and IP are not included as Olympic events.

Tarling certainly has high hopes in the ITT, rumours of him doubling up on the track TP are intriguing and can only help GBR. It would surprise me, some think he has a genuine chance at the Olympic title in the time trial given his development.

I’ve been assuming Hayter doubles up and rides the Omnium instead of Walls given his pedigree in the event? I don’t have an inkling on what the preferred Madison pairing is on the men’s side. Possibly they take Stewart like you say, will leave to the more informed posters to speculate. 

On the Irish note, Lara was brilliant today in the Omnium and was very unlucky to lose out on a medal on the final sprint by 1 pt. Really attacked the points race.

I still think Archibald goes for Omnium and TP, not Madison but just guessing at this point. Barker riding the Madison and TP makes sense. I figure the potential of Laura Kenny coming back means plans are subject to change.

At this point the Dutch are not being beaten in the men’s individual sprint or team sprint, maybe the Keirin is a chance another nation takes the title.

The female Keirin for me is the most open, it will be interesting if Emma can improve her race craft and be a force in this discipline, building on the silver she won last year. 

On 1/13/2024 at 12:41 AM, Rafa Maciel said:

The men's sprint squad are fast becoming the weak link in an otherwise pretty impressive :GBRCycling team.

I think there is a strong chance that the women's sprint squad will bring back 2 medals from Paris - likely silver in team sprint but with a decent chance of gold in individual sprint. I don't think Finucane will medal in the Keirin but the event is always a bit of a lottery and can easily throw up a surprise medalist.

The women's endurance squad are probably marginal favourites for gold in the team pursuit. I am guessing Archibald will be selected for the Omnium and if she is, she should be in the mix for a medal but probably wouldn't go in as favourite. The squad will have plenty of options when it comes to the madison - I think Neah Evans is likely to be picked and probably with Elinor Barker in a repeat of the pairing from Glasgow. They would go into the competition as serious medal contenders but again the event often owes more to tactics and luck than form.

On the men's side, the team pursuiters are back on track to qualify for Paris after crashing out in Glasgow and all things being equal, they should come back with a medal. I certainly don't think we will see a repeat of Tokyo where they were caught and crashed. The biggest issue for them is likely to be the fact that they will probably be quite early in the starting order so wont be able to react to the performances of :ITA and :DEN. For both the omnium and the madison, :GBRwill have strong team to select from and will be medal contenders in both events but not necessarily favourites.

Then we come to the men's sprint team, and at the moment, you would have to say it does not look likely that :GBRwill win any medal across the men's team sprint, individual sprint or keirin - that is something that has not happened since Athens in 2004. In the team sprint, realistically the best they could hope for is a bronze but to do that they will likely need to overcome France. They have one of the best lead out riders in Ali Fielding and Hamish Turnbull is able to hold his own as second man. The question will then be whether they stick with Jack Carlin as the 3rd man or opt for Jo Truman.  Neither Carlin or Truman were anywhere close to medaling in the individual sprint at this week's Euros and we've seen nothing to suggest they will perform any better in the keirin.

At this stage, the only unknown is going to be the impact that the new tech will have. I don't think the new bikes are being used in Apeldoorn this week so the only outing it had was in qualifying for team pursuit in Glasgow and it ended up in a heap on the floor after the crash.  

The Olympic sprint programme has changed since 2004 and the men's squad did medal in the kilo that year as they had four years earlier. It would be fairer to say that it would be the first blank since 1996 if they don't pul something out of the hat in Paris.

Josie Knight beating Franziska Brausse in the individual pursuit final by 0,003 seconds after an absolutely perfectly timed last half kilometer :hyper: 

What a race!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!