website statistics

Team GB Selection Policies for Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Athletics - Track & Field

With the Road To Paris tool now live, it is as good a time as any to look at what will probably be the most controversial selection policy of the lot.

Policy Document:

2024-Olympic-Games-Track-and-Field-Selection-Policy-July2023_Final.pdf (uka.org.uk)

Key Points:

• They have decided to stick with the same basic selection policy used for this year's world Champs.
  • The selection event for 10000m will be on 18-May whilst the wider UK Athletics trials are scheduled for 28-30th June.
  • In order to be considered for selection, athletes must meet 3 criteria - 1.) Meet eligibility criteria (age, passport etc.); 2.) Have achieved the World Athletics qualification standard or, where available, the UKA Selection standard; and 3.) Show current form.
  • The selection process will be managed in 5 tranches:
  1. The top 2 finishers at the trials will be automatically selected if they have the world Athletics qualifying standard. 
  2. Any individual medalist from Budapest World Championship will be selected in the corresponding event.
  3. Eligible athletes with the World Athletics qualifying standards 
  4. World Athletics ranking invites for athletes with UKA selection standard - NB there are no UKA selection standards for any events between 200m - 5000m, the 400m hurdles and the women's 3000m steeplechase. UK Athletics will not accept any WA ranking invites in these events.
  5. Relay selection.

Additional Factors:

• Attendance at the trials is described as "compulsory" but as always it will be more compulsory for some than others :d
  • The requirement to show current form will relate to performances between 1-Apr - 30-Jun 2024.

So Zharnel Hughes in M100, Matt Hudson Smith in M 400 Ben Pattison in M800, josh Kerr in M1500, Keely Hodgkinson in W800 are basically preselected unless injured or collapse of form. The Men's 800 (nd 1500 trials races are going to be something else in that case, especially 1500 - depth is lunatic in that race - Kerr, Wightman, Mills, Heywood, Giles, Gourley and I'm sure I'm missing several out. To a slightly lesser extent the women's 800 and men's 100 could be juicy too - I think Reekie will lock up spot 2 barring injury, but after that its a bloodbath.

Big question now is where Trials take place - and who pays for them. Birmingham council and UK Athletics both being fundamentally broke does not lean toward the Alexander or the Olympic Stadium, but Manchester and Gateshead, while great stadia in some ways, are rather prone to interference from the elements.

It is peculiar and sad to see UKA in such difficulties at a moment where the competitive depth in many events has never been better. There's a product there, but they don't really know how to sell it any more.

• 3 months later...

Equestrian - Eventing

Policy Document:

BEF_BE_Eventing_Olympic_Selection_Policy_2024 Final.pdf (britishequestrian.org.uk)

Key Points:

• Primary objective for GB Equestrian is to win the Eventing Team Gold. Winning an individual medal is secondary. 
  • GB Equestrian will select 4 riders to the squad with 1 being designated as reserve pairing - I am reading this as traveling reserve but could be wrong.
  • Further reserve combinations may also be announced by selectors including the use of ranking order. 
  • In selecting the combinations, regard will be given to results from 4* and 5* events from January 2023 to the end of qualifying period. 
  • 1st phase of selection to take place on or around 19th February - so we may see an initial long list of contenders published by British Equestrian. Only athletes in the A+/A/B+/B funding category can be considered for selection at this time. 
  • Another selection meeting will take place in May where 12 athlete/horse combinations will be selected of which 3 will be reserves.
  • Final selection of team to take place around 19th June. 

Additional Factors:

• Any rider interested in competing for GB has until 7th May to complete the register of interest but the 1st phase of selection is scheduled for 19th February.
  • Selectors reserve the right to choose a combinations with "outstanding talent" in 1 or 2 of the disciplines.

• 3 weeks later...

In theory, UK Athletics should have held their first selection meeting for marathon team yesterday.

I am assuming that no athlete was selected in Round 1 by virtue of the fact that they did not finish in the top 8 at last year's World Championships but would have expected they would have made selection of 1-2 athletes under round 2 criteria. 

33 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

In theory, UK Athletics should have held their first selection meeting for marathon team yesterday.

I am assuming that no athlete was selected in Round 1 by virtue of the fact that they did not finish in the top 8 at last year's World Championships but would have expected they would have made selection of 1-2 athletes under round 2 criteria. 

Is London Marathon the trials event?

23 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Is London Marathon the trials event?

Yes is it, but from what was said on commentary for the Seville Marathon those who already have the time beforehand are safe. This only applies to the men though as more than 3 women have got the qualification time. 

So as things stand, I would assume that Emile Cairess and Phill Sesemann should be in a position to have their selection confirmed after this week's selection meeting. 

A 3rd spot isn't out of the question if things can come together in London. Unfortunately I can't find a provisional entry list but perhaps best hope will be Mahamed Mahamed (2:08.40 Valencia '23) as I am assuming that Jonathan Mellor wont be doing another spring marathon after Seville. 

On the women's side, I think there are 8 athletes with the standard - Charlotte Purdue, Calli Thackery, Rose Harvey, Clara Evans, Lily Partridge, Samantha Harrison, Natasha Wilson and Georgina Schwiening.

Assuming they are injury free, Purdue and Thackery will likely get the nod for early selection given they are about 3 minutes faster than the rest of the qualifiers.  

Not sure if Jess Piasecki is looking to run the London marathon but she was another 2:22.25 in 2022 so is possibly another athlete who could challenge for a spot is she has recovered from injury. 

On 2/20/2024 at 11:45 PM, Rafa Maciel said:

So as things stand, I would assume that Emile Cairess and Phill Sesemann should be in a position to have their selection confirmed after this week's selection meeting. 

A 3rd spot isn't out of the question if things can come together in London. Unfortunately I can't find a provisional entry list but perhaps best hope will be Mahamed Mahamed (2:08.40 Valencia '23) as I am assuming that Jonathan Mellor wont be doing another spring marathon after Seville. 

On the women's side, I think there are 8 athletes with the standard - Charlotte Purdue, Calli Thackery, Rose Harvey, Clara Evans, Lily Partridge, Samantha Harrison, Natasha Wilson and Georgina Schwiening.

Assuming they are injury free, Purdue and Thackery will likely get the nod for early selection given they are about 3 minutes faster than the rest of the qualifiers.  

Not sure if Jess Piasecki is looking to run the London marathon but she was another 2:22.25 in 2022 so is possibly another athlete who could challenge for a spot is she has recovered from injury. 

1st marathon runners confirmed - Phil Sesemann, Charlotte Purdue and Calli Hauger-Thackery. No real surprised except perhaps for exclusion of Emile Cairess. Given he ran a 60 minute half marathon at the weekend, he's obviously fit and he is the only other British man to have the standard so can't see an obvious reason no to select him now. 

5 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

1st marathon runners confirmed - Phil Sesemann, Charlotte Purdue and Calli Hauger-Thackery. No real surprised except perhaps for exclusion of Emile Cairess. Given he ran a 60 minute half marathon at the weekend, he's obviously fit and he is the only other British man to have the standard so can't see an obvious reason no to select him now. 

I can only assume Emile himself has not absolutely decided which event to target, marathon or 10,000...