website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

32 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Oh man, Netflix are getting a lot of backlash now online. They released a show of little girls twerking and finding their sexuality it seems. Probably won't lead to any big subscriber loss, but it's a rare mistake for their image. They have been releasing major garbage these last 2-3 years, but this seems next level misfire. 

I know a little about this controversy because it started in the US last week. From what I’ve read, “Cuties” is a French film that explores a young girl (tween, early teen) finding herself and connecting to a different culture through hip hop. According to the Director, the film is an attack on the hyper-sexualization of young girls. It did very well at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival from what I understand.  

Netflix has marketed it poorly (understatement), and has been excused of trying to sexualize the young girls.

This article does a really good job of summarizing and explaining the controversy around the film: https://www.bustle.com/entertainment/netflix-cuties-controversy-explained

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Sex always sells. Even when the 'sex' is focused on underage Muslim lolitas ;)

Vladimir Nabokov would be proud of this stunt!

:nopompom:Nabokov's book aged well, i'm not so sure that those girls will too...

On 09/09/2020 at 20:02, Olympian1010 said:

I know people will be upset about this, but our public health situation isn’t suitable to celebrating a holiday like this. I’ll just have to buy a big bag of candy for myself this year (at least now I can justify that purchase :p).

Long past time that someone pushed by against these Satanic practices, so well done the fine Christians of Our Lady, Queen of the Angels.  :pope:.

On 09/09/2020 at 20:24, heywoodu said:

Visited the south of the country yesterday and today, the city of Maastricht and some surroundings. So much history in Maastricht, I love seeing a basilica/church they started building around the year 1000...awesome to think a thousand years ago people were building what's still standing strong today. Impressive little walk inside as well, almost every item makes me wonder what history there is connected to it and which things it has 'seen'.

Also home to the Netherlands’ only vineyard.  (About 5km to the East of town on the road to Aachen.)

46 minutes ago, dcro said:

Speaking of Aachen... Why not just visit Aachen intead of the whole South Holland?

Aachen is one of those German towns which suffered from some over-enthusiastic urban planning attempts by the Royal Air Force during the 1939-1945 Police Action, so there is not much of it left.

Well, there was quite a lot left, just not many things still attached to any other things.

6 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Aachen is one of those German towns which suffered from some over-enthusiastic urban planning attempts by the Royal Air Force during the 1939-1945 Police Action, so there is not much of it left.

Well, there was quite a lot left, just not many things still attached to any other things.

season 3 homer GIFAachen buildings:

On 11/09/2020 at 17:27, dcro said:

Speaking of Aachen... Why not just visit Aachen intead of the whole South Holland?

I much prefer the 800-1000 year old things one can easily see in Maastricht, from old defense walls to a millenium old church that was built where there already had been a church for centuries. I find that interesting :p 

Plus in Limburg one eats vlaai, not in Aachen.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!