website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Just my personal opinion: the most 'neutral' and fact-based journalists usually don't put so much emphasis on their 'ethics and integrity' standards, simply because it's obvious from their work and they don't need to press it :p 

Not meant as some sort of negative criticism or something, to be clear, just something I've noticed over the years.

The problem is - in 2020 anyone with a IG or twitter account can call themselves "freelance journalist". Time is money. Right now NOBODY has to wait until the morning to see what's been written in newspapers to find out what's going on. In 5 minutes you have 1,500 retweets and EVERYONE knows what's going on. Fact-checking has been massively devalued because nobody is willing to wait even two hours to deliver a news bomb. Welcome to XXI century!

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

The problem is - in 2020 anyone with a IG or twitter account can call themselves "freelance journalist". Time is money. Right now NOBODY has to wait until the morning to see what's been written in newspapers to find out what's going on. In 5 minutes you have 1,500 retweets and EVERYONE knows what's going on. Fact-checking has been massively devalued because nobody is willing to wait even two hours to deliver a news bomb. Welcome to XXI century!

Which I think is alright in some cases, and bad in others. For example in the case of a terrorist attack or some disaster or anything truly 'breaking' like that, the first thing I do is turn on CNN on TV and open a forum where people gather all kinds of tweets and such on my laptop. Social media has it's value, even though some people like to see it as all bad.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Which I think is alright in some cases, and bad in others. For example in the case of a terrorist attack or some disaster or anything truly 'breaking' like that, the first thing I do is turn on CNN on TV and open a forum where people gather all kinds of tweets and such on my laptop. Social media has it's value, even though some people like to see it as all bad.

Terrorism itself has changed. The methods of IRA, ETA and Muslim fanatics of planting car bombs looks like kindergarten stuff nowadays. Moreover the very same social media has enabled these terrorists to improve their modus operandi. Facebook is massively powerful to the point it's been accused of rigging elections but it's only a matter of time before it collapses under it's own weight IMO.

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Terrorism itself has changed. The methods of IRA, ETA and Muslim fanatics of planting car bombs looks like kindergarten stuff nowadays. Moreover the very same social media has enabled these terrorists to improve their modus operandi. Facebook is massively powerful to the point it's been accused of rigging elections but it's only a matter of time before it collapses under it's own weight IMO.

Who even still uses Facebook? Young people used it, then their parents and grandparents started using it so the young people moved to somewhere else, until the parents and grandparents start using that as well and so on :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

25 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Just my personal opinion: the most 'neutral' and fact-based journalists usually don't put so much emphasis on their 'ethics and integrity' standards, simply because it's obvious from their work and they don't need to press it :p 

Not meant as some sort of negative criticism or something, to be clear, just something I've noticed over the years.

Again, fair.

I shouldn’t feel the need to justify myself as a reporter. I took an hour to write that post because I kept correcting it, and I’m still unhappy I posted it. I would obviously hope my writing speaks for itself, but I felt the need to say that.

I don’t care if people want to debate my political views, argue my opinions on international sport, etc. I do care when people question my ability or ethics as a reporter. I don’t think that was your intention, but I choose to respond anyway. You’ve read my reporting you can be the judge I guess. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Who even still uses Facebook? Young people used it, then their parents and grandparents started using it so the young people moved to somewhere else, until the parents and grandparents start using that as well and so on :p 

When US Congress calls Zuckerberg to tesity you know Facebook still moves the needle. And which social media will be the new evil empire once TokTok gets blocked in half of the world? Who remembers the time when MySpace was king? Names will change but social media will keep ruling the world. Just the owners will change...

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Again, fair.

I shouldn’t feel the need to justify myself as a reporter. I took an hour to write that post because I kept correcting it, and I’m still unhappy I posted it. I would obviously hope my writing speaks for itself, but I felt the need to say that.

I don’t care if people want to debate my political views, argue my opinions on international sport, etc. I do care when people question my ability or ethics as a reporter. I don’t think that was your intention, but I choose to respond anyway. You’ve read my reporting you can be the judge I guess. 

If you really are ethical and have a good standard of integrity in whatever you write and such, people will notice and you won't need to put any emphasis on it. Just trust on that.

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

If you really are ethical and have a good standard of integrity in whatever you write and such, people will notice and you won't need to put any emphasis on it. Just trust on that.

I know that. I’m just flustered right now.

There’s just so much going on in my country and personal life at the moment, and it’s wearing me down. I know I don’t need to defend my reporting, but I’m just tired and mentally drained. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

19 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I know that. I’m just flustered right now.

There’s just so much going on in my country and personal life at the moment, and it’s wearing me down. I know I don’t need to defend my reporting, but I’m just tired and mentally drained. 

You're barely 21-22 yo? If you think life is tough at this age then sorry for the bad news, but life gets tougher once you get older. I wish I was in my early 20s again, those were some fun times :evil:

7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

You're barely 21-22 yo? If you think life is tough at this age then sorry for the bad news, but life gets tougher once you get older. I wish I was in my early 20s again, those were some fun times :evil:

How do think telling this to someone is helpful? I get your cynic, and that you don’t like me, but how is this comment constructive or helpful? Do you think it’s possible that there might be events in my life that I find incredibly depressing, tragic, and challenging at the moment? If someone says “Gee, my mental health isn’t great right now,” that the best response is “If you think your life is bad now; you should just wait a couple of years.” I really hope you understand what a useless, idiotic, and harmful statement that is.