website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Championships 2020

Totallympics

Says a lot about the potential in the event when Danish commentators talk about that it could be an event that Denmark could take part in (spoiler alert: not gonna happen any time soon :p )

'

Personally I enjoy it. Like @phelps I'm not a supporter of it taking the place of other Olympic events (if anything, it should be the normal mixed relay), but I absolutely don't mind the close racing that it creates.

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Single mixed relays don't allow any new nations on the podium. It's just the cliche excuse. They only allow the rich to get richer, as do all other team events...

Estonia would probably disagree with you :p

But it could be an exception from the rule. Any team event favors the big nations by default :wacko:

Just now, Monzanator said:

Estonia would probably disagree with you :p

But it could be an exception from the rule. Any team event favors the big nations by default :wacko:

Though I guess they would only disagree during those WC days when both mixed relays are held on the same day for some reason. :p

#banbestmen

The chance of this event (and the point that bothers me most with biathlon at the Olympics) is that it doesn't require any additional quota... 

With a good communication on how It could open the podium to more nations we could well see it at the Games in the future. But we know that 6 countries will battle for the podium in the end :)

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

So I gave it another chance...but I can not help myself, I can not find any sympathy or excitement for this single mixed relay. This is The most useless and ridiculous biathlon event, this should definitely stay on the auf schalke exhibitions gala or so

I pretty much hate it. I fear that the many others do not, and it'll feature more and more.

5 minutes ago, Kirkpatrick said:

I pretty much hate it. I fear that the many others do not, and it'll feature more and more.

It's not a question how many like it but if the big nations like it. If they do then it's a wrap and the single mixed relay is here to stay. I don't think it happens at the WOG, two relays is too much tbh.

23 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's not a question how many like it but if the big nations like it. If they do then it's a wrap and the single mixed relay is here to stay. I don't think it happens at the WOG, two relays is too much tbh.

I’m certain it will be on the program in 2026.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m certain it will be on the program in 2026.

Only if they remove the individual alltogether. Again, it's down to the leverage by the big nations. If single mixed relay becomes a Germany/Norway/France/Italy/Russia/Sweden playground then it doesn't make any sense other than rich getting richer. Poland once won a WC medal in the defunct team event and it hasn't translated to any success for our relay over the long run either.