website statistics

Team Canada at the Paris Summer Olympic Games 2024 News Road to Paris 2024

Posted (edited)

Here’s a simulation of my qualifying projections for Canada (in sports where the qualification period isn’t yet over, or we have a chance at reallocation)

As a reminder we’ve already qualified 251 athletes. Since I have all of our qualifications on first page, I’ll focus on where we can add to our numbers in the upcoming months. 

Athletics

We’ve already qualified 27 athletes, so I’ll go with another 25.

Surfing

Cody Young is 2nd on the reserves list in men’s shortboard for Paris. 

Fencing

If all eight host nation quotas don’t get awarded to tripartite NOCs, Ruien Xiao is 2nd on the reserves list (women’s epee) through Olympic Ranking points. 

Weightlifting

Boady Santavy is 2nd on the reserves list in men’s 89kg for Paris. 

Boxing

McKenzie Wright (women’s 50kg), and Scarlett Delgado (women’s 54kg) both have chances to qualify through the second Olympic Qualifying Tournament. 

BMX Racing

Likely that Molly Simpson has done enough to secure a quota for Canada through the Olympic Rankings. 

Volleyball

Canada is 22 world ranking points behind the Netherlands for the final Olympic quota heading into VNL. 

Mountain Biking

Canada should get men’s and women’s quotas through the Olympic Rankings. 

Table Tennis

Mo Zhang will be the favourite at the North American Qualification Tournament, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see her lose to Yadira Silva. 

3x3 Basketball

Women’s and men’s teams will both have chances in Debrecen at the Olympic Qualifying Tournament. Hopefully the women can get it done this time around. 

Triathlon

Two men’s, and one women’s quota look safe through the Olympic Ranking. Jamnicky and Kretz will try to move up on points in order to have Canada qualify for the mixed team event. 

Golf

Should be two men and two women through the Olympic Rankings. 

Tennis

One quota in men’s singles (FAA), one quota in women’s singles (Fernandez), and one quota in doubles (Dabrowski) through the Olympic Rankings. 

Maybe a couple of Raonic/Shapo/Andresscu will join them through PR?

Skateboarding

Hopefully three men’s street quotas, and one women’s park quota through the Olympic Qualifier Series. 

Breaking

One or two women’s quotas (I don’t follow breaking sorry) through the Olympic Qualifier Series. 

Rowing

Men’s eight and women’s four both have chances through the Final Qualification Regatta. 

Wrestling

Chance for quotas in women’s 53/68kg through the Final Qualification Tournament. 

Swimming

Somewhere between 25-30 athletes through the Canadian Olympic Swim Trials. 

Judo

5-6 judoka are in qualifying positions in the Olympic Rankings currently. 

Rugby 7s

I’d give them like a 5% chance at best, but our men’s team might be able to spring a surprise at the Final Qualifcation Tournament. 

Sport Climbing

Oscar Bautrand finished 10th in men’s boulder the World Cup in Salt Lake City last week. And of course, Tokyo 2020 Olympians Alannah Yip and Sean McColl will also be at the Olympic Qualifier Series. But we could just as easily see none qualify.

Edited by Josh