website statistics

Sport Events Cancelled due to Coronavirus Outbreak

up and down

10 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah...I have a sneaking suspicion they’re not worried about that...

If CG were cancelled alltogether I bet nobody would notice it's gone. Totally irrelevant event and one of the last relics of the colonial era.

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

If CG were cancelled alltogether I bet nobody would notice it's gone. Totally irrelevant event and one of the last relics of the colonial era.

Agreed! Don't know what kind of pride the athletes have competing in this. 2-3 big nations dominating small islands and african nations. 

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

I think more people watch the Commonwealth Games then you realize...

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

15 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Agreed! Don't know what kind of pride the athletes have competing in this. 2-3 big nations dominating small islands and african nations. 

Those smaller nations also get to send many more athletes here than the Olympics. It’s a development event for many of these nations. It also gives the home nations athletes a chance to truly represent their countries. Plus, something like 25 of the CGAs that compete, are ineligible to participate at the Olympics.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

16 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I agree at 100%, it's one of the few oddments of the British Empire. CG are just an '800 events :p

16 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I disagree.  The Commonwealths are a big thing for the small African & Carib nations who have intense local rivalries.  Also a source of great pride for the small nations that make up the UK like the Isle of Man, Jersey etc.  Even large nations like India still love the chance to beat up on England at hockey, archery, shooting etc.  And Australia / New Zealand / England is still one of the greatest rivalries in World Sport in many events.

People outside the UK generally do not understand how intense & how alive our little historic internal sporting battles still are, especially in areas where outsiders see absolutely no difference - like small villages only about four miles apart, or neighbouring islands with populations of about 500 each, or two towns whose regional accents differ only by a single vowel sound.  :evil:

25 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

I disagree.  The Commonwealths are a big thing for the small African & Carib nations who have intense local rivalries.  Also a source of great pride for the small nations that make up the UK like the Isle of Man, Jersey etc.  Even large nations like India still love the chance to beat up on England at hockey, archery, shooting etc.  And Australia / New Zealand / England is still one of the greatest rivalries in World Sport in many events.

People outside the UK generally do not understand how intense & how alive our little historic internal sporting battles still are, especially in areas where outsiders see absolutely no difference - like small villages only about four miles apart, or neighbouring islands with populations of about 500 each, or two towns whose regional accents differ only by a single vowel sound.  :evil:

Oh, I can understand how the former colonies absolutely hate England and rightfully so. But I see no point in keeping relics like Commonwealth Games alive.

Let's see if Birmingham doesn't go bankrupt over this next edition :lol:

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Oh, I can understand how the former colonies absolutely hate England and rightfully so. But I see no point in keeping relics like Commonwealth Games alive.

Let's see if Birmingham doesn't go bankrupt over this next edition :lol:

As long as participating nations do, that's all that's needed.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I notice that everyone who has no time for the Commonwealth Games comes from non Commonwealth countries 

The surprising thing is why on earth you have an opinion on something you have nothing to do with at all 

Personally I have no interest in European only events but I certainly wouldn't bother telling the world about it 

PS I also have no interest in Eurovision which may explain why I have never commented on it