website statistics

Athletics 2020 Discussion Thread

Wumo

17 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Amazing achievement by Duplantis. Seeing clips of when he was a little kid, the record was inevitable.

And it's again indoors. Wonder what is the highest mark cleared outdoors?

Outdoor record only 6:14 to Sergey Bubka, 31/07/1994.  Think this is the only major WR where the indoor mark is better than the outdoor.  I suppose because 1) no wind & 2) much shorter competitions - fresher athletes.

Edited by Grassmarket

It is worth noticing that there is only one world record in pole vaults nowadays.It doesn´t matter if the record height is cleared outdoors or indoors.

Renaud Lavillenie had the previous WR.Now it is all Armand DuPlantis.

Highest jump outdoors is 6,14 by Sergei Bubka.

I definetly thinks that DuPlantis could clear 6,20 at Tokyo olympics providing the weather is decent.

Sam Kendricks broke the american indoor record the same day when DuPlantis cleared 6,17.

Kendricks managed 6,01

8 minutes ago, Blue Swede said:

It is worth noticing that there is only one world record in pole vaults nowadays.It doesn´t matter if the record height is cleared outdoors or indoors

I definetly thinks that DuPlantis could clear 6,20 at Tokyo olympics providing the weather is decent.

I doubt it: the Olympic PV will probably take about four hours and he might have to jump 7-8 times before he can go for a WR.  

Both DuPlantis & Lavillenie set their records off pretty artificially short competitions.  Dunno how many jumps he did in total - 2 or 3?

Edited by Grassmarket

WR jump was Duplantis sixth jump in the competition.

More time to recoup in an olympic event,so I do not see the lenght as a big problem since Armand will start late(or perhaps having one warm up jump at say 5,60 and then jump again at say 5,80).

Problem is that gold medal height won´t recuire WR height.Winning the gold medal is nowadays normally enough for the athlete to stop the competition.

That DuPlantis will jump higher than 6,17 is very likely though..if it happens at the Olympic games is I agree debatable.