website statistics

Best Sports Moments of The (Correct) Decade From 2010-2019

Olympian1010

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Excluding Year 0 is not a mistake. 0 is literally zero so nothing. No wonder Year 0 never existed :p

But there is a point at which nothing existed, so there is actually a year zero. The first time the Earth revolves around the sun is 1, but the time before that is 0. 0 is both something and nothing at the same time.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

But there is a point at which nothing existed, so there is actually a year zero. The first time the Earth revolves around the sun is 1, but the time before that is 0. 0 is both something and nothing at the same time.

But we (as we - the humans) made the calendar timeline set at BC/AD. You're counting geological years which are of no use for modern time measurement. You can't measure the exact date (day & month) of the Big Bang which technically started the Earth timeline :dunno:

My personal top 3:

• Katie Taylor - winning Olympic gold in London 2012
  • Ireland rugby team completing the Grand Slam in 2018
  • Donegal winning the All-Ireland in 2012  (only the second time ever that Donegal won Gaelic football's most prestigious title)

It's easy to remember those special moments as they made me feel really happy. I'll need more time to think about a best moment in the general sporting world.

38 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I just know either your or @dcro would say this :lol:. Technically that decade would have been 2006-2016 using the method everyone seems to think is correct.

1) 2006-2016 is eleven years. Do I need to count again? :p

2) 2006-2015 would be an arbitrary decade, just like 1916-2015 would be an arbitrary century. But nobody really means arbitrary decades and centuries, they mean calendar decades and centuries. And since there is no Year 0, all decades start at 1 and end at 10 (0). Method you used in the title of the thread suggests that the first decade had only 9 years.

End of discussion.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Iceland beating England at the Euro’s. Probably the greatest sports achievement in Iceland’s history. 2018 World Cup qualification was also a big achievement. 

Bjorndalen winning the sprint in 2014 to claim the biathlon medal record was pretty great too.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The 2010 and 2014 World Cups go a long way here. Netherlands beating Brazil on a comeback and then winning a nailbiter semi final against Uruguay to qualify for a World Cup final, I never thought I'd live to see the day :yikes: Then in 2014, beating Spain 5-1 in the opening match, oh boy :hyper: 

In terms of things I've witnessed in person, my highlight might be the epic, epic, epic Champions League comeback of Füchse Berlin (handball) against Ademar Leon in 2012. Füchse had lost 34-23 in Spain so needed something absolutely huge in Berlin...where they went on full-attack from the very first minute, won 29-18 and qualified for the Final Four. That was completely, totally nuts. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

2) 2006-2015 would be an arbitrary decade, just like 1916-2015 would be an arbitrary century. But nobody really means arbitrary decades and centuries, they mean calendar decades and centuries. And since there is no Year 0, all decades start at 1 and end at 10 (0). Method you used in the title of the thread suggests that the first decade had only 9 years.

End of discussion.

So you count music from 1990 as part of the eighties? What the hell.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

End of discussion.

16-6 = 10. That was the logic everyone went after me for earlier. 
The first decade was technically 0-9, with the second being 10-19, and so on. Also the first decade of the established calendar is like 40,000,000-39,000,009

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Iceland beating England at the Euro’s. Probably the greatest sports achievement in Iceland’s history. 2018 World Cup qualification was also a big achievement. 

Bjorndalen winning the sprint in 2014 to claim the biathlon medal record was pretty great too.

I suspect Iceland winning an Olympic medal in handball was a bigger achievement. Obviously football (soccer) is the most popular sport in most of Europe so that gets the bonus points.

Just now, Monzanator said:

I suspect Iceland winning an Olympic medal in handball was a bigger achievement. Obviously football (soccer) is the most popular sport in most of Europe so that gets the bonus points.

Ah forgot about Handball, especially since they’re ass now...