website statistics

Great Britain at the 2023 World Aquatics Championships

So not sure what this means, but possibly BBC will be covering some of the championships after all:

"Key sessions from the World Aquatic Championships will be available either on 5 Live Sports Extra, the BBC Sport website & App, and BBC Sounds"

On 7/16/2023 at 5:05 PM, Rafa Maciel said:

So not sure what this means, but possibly BBC will be covering some of the championships after all:

"Key sessions from the World Aquatic Championships will be available either on 5 Live Sports Extra, the BBC Sport website & App, and BBC Sounds"

5 Live Sports Extra are providing about 2 hours radio commentary of the finals most days.

So :GBR finish diving qualification with:

Men's 3m springboard synchro

Women's 3m springboard synchro

Women's 10m platform synchro

1x Men's individual 3m springboard 

2x Men's individual 10m platform

1x Women's individual 3m springboard

1x Women's individual 10m platform

This is a pretty good haul although I would suggest that we probably would have expected to qualify in the men's 10m platform synchro and for Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix to have taken a second quota for women's platform (but this doesn't really matter given Eden Cheng's performance at EG) 

Compared to the 2019 World Champs - the corresponding qualification competition for Tokyo - GB secured exactly the same individual quotas, held on to their men's 3m synchro, gained both of the women's synchro events but lost their men's 10m platform quota. 

On 7/21/2023 at 9:54 AM, Rafa Maciel said:

So :GBR finish diving qualification with:

Men's 3m springboard synchro

Women's 3m springboard synchro

Women's 10m platform synchro

1x Men's individual 3m springboard 

2x Men's individual 10m platform

1x Women's individual 3m springboard

1x Women's individual 10m platform

This is a pretty good haul although I would suggest that we probably would have expected to qualify in the men's 10m platform synchro and for Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix to have taken a second quota for women's platform (but this doesn't really matter given Eden Cheng's performance at EG) 

Compared to the 2019 World Champs - the corresponding qualification competition for Tokyo - GB secured exactly the same individual quotas, held on to their men's 3m synchro, gained both of the women's synchro events but lost their men's 10m platform quota. 

Second only to China, reinforcing GB's position as the second global diving power - admittedly a very long way after China - which, for those of us with memories is about as likely as GBR being a global power in Sumo.

This result, remember achieved with no Daley, and no individual Laugher. Big positive for me is that Goodfellow, Williams and Kothari clearly positioned themselves as potentially world class. Big disappointment, obviously was Andrea, though Toulson did a fab recovery job that will keep her in the conversation for the spot along with the brilliant EG performance by Cheng. Andreas ceiling is much higher, and she's going, Equally, A fit Laugher is going, Houldon not quite having his 2022 form. Haslam probably comes back into the conversation given Houldon's struggles, but Laugher/Goodfellow are big favourites for the two spots, if the second spot is achieved.

I suspect a full house will be achieved in Doha, which, again, in historic terms remains astounding.

4 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Second only to China, reinforcing GB's position as the second global diving power - admittedly a very long way after China - which, for those of us with memories is about as likely as GBR being a global power in Sumo.

This result, remember achieved with no Daley, and no individual Laugher. Big positive for me is that Goodfellow, Williams and Kothari clearly positioned themselves as potentially world class. Big disappointment, obviously was Andrea, though Toulson did a fab recovery job that will keep her in the conversation for the spot along with the brilliant EG performance by Cheng. Andreas ceiling is much higher, and she's going, Equally, A fit Laugher is going, Houldon not quite having his 2022 form. Haslam probably comes back into the conversation given Houldon's struggles, but Laugher/Goodfellow are big favourites for the two spots, if the second spot is achieved.

I suspect a full house will be achieved in Doha, which, again, in historic terms remains astounding.

Part of me is kind of glad that Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix didn't have a stellar performance here. Had she got to the final then the pressure on her to perform in Paris from the UK media would have been immense. I'd much rather see her making steady progression increasing her scores and her consistency as we head into the Olympics.

Toulson will be going to Paris - if only as part of the 10m synchro team, but she's going to have a real fight with Eden Cheng for that second individual spot behind Spendolini-Sirieix. 

My only concern going into Doha next year is how early it is in the season. The guys were stoked getting the early qualifications done because it meant that they could have an uninterrupted training block through Jan-Feb next year but for some athletes, were going to need them to step up and secure those additional qualifying spots in Doha.

If the squad can keep this kind of form up going into Paris though, we could be looking at our largest haul of diving medals at an Olympics for a very long time.