website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Would love to say I am surprised but :GBR Samuel Hall no longer appears on the entry list. It's becoming so common to now be a bit of joke - he's been listed as an entry on pretty much every GP and GS only to be withdrawn in the days before competition. Hall hasn't competed at 60Kg since September but his last bout at -66Kg was in March so difficult to put it down to an injury.

At the start of the qualification period, you would have Hall down as one of the few men GBR would be targeting for Olympic Qualification but if he's going to make it on the team, he's going to need a stellar 2nd qualification period. 

GB Judo is another one of our national federations who are abysmal at promoting the sport domestically and providing updates to let fans know what is going on.

I'd like to see them call someone else up, a certain Mr Eric Ham, if it's not too late of course.  

17 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

I'd like to see them call someone else up, a certain Mr Eric Ham, if it's not too late of course.  

Unfortunately I think the deadline for entries has already passed so the only way he would have been eligible to compete was if he had been named as a traveling reserve. Of course he shouldn't have been left off the team in the first place, as he had met British Judo's qualification criteria.

:USA Team USA :USA

Men

Ari Berliner (-66kg)

Isaiah Ramirez (-66kg)

Dominic Rodriguez (-73kg)

Jack Yonezuka (-73kg)

Kell Berliner (-81kg)

Nicolas Yonezuka (-81kg)

John Jayne (-90kg)

L.A. Smith (-100kg)

Christian Konoval (+100kg)

Women

Maria Laborde (-48kg)

Angelica Delgado (-52kg)

Tasha Cancela (-57kg)

Mariah Holguin (-57kg)

Sara Golden (-63kg)

Hannah Martin (-63kg)

Chantal Wright (-70kg)

Nicole Stout (-78kg)

Mackenzie Williams (+78kg)

1 hour ago, owenp_23 said:

:USA Team USA :USA

Men

L.A. Smith (-100kg)

Perfect guy to represent the host country in 2028. It’s meant to be clearly :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Could someone refresh my memory in terms of the rounds that are in which competition blocks?

I believe everything up to and including the quarter finals is in the 'preliminaries' block, and the 'finals block' from 18:00 local time every day has the semi finals, the bronze medal matches and the finals?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

27 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Could someone refresh my memory in terms of the rounds that are in which competition blocks?

I believe everything up to and including the quarter finals is in the 'preliminaries' block, and the 'finals block' from 18:00 local time every day has the semi finals, the bronze medal matches and the finals?

no, the final block at the World Champs only counts on the medal matches.

everything else is in the preliminary session.

at least, in the last World Tournament (Taskent 2022) that was the daily schedule...in the past, it was a different story.

Edited by phelps

1 minute ago, phelps said:

at the Olympics, instead, they have semis, last repechage round and medal matches in the Final Block.

20 minutes ago, phelps said:

at least, in the last World Tournament (Taskent 2022) that was the daily schedule...in the past, it was a different story.

Thanks. Makes it harder to expect when things get interested, so more likely to miss things, but that's alright. Good to know what I can see in the final blocks :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Decent draws for a few of the Brits 

Charlie Young unfortunately drawn against Tal Flicker and if he makes it through that then would be competing against top seed Denis Vieru. Prediction - Out in the 1st round.

Lachlan Moordhead should be able to overcome Bearach Gleeson for a round of 32 match up against Demourtsidis of Greece which could go either way. Prediction - out in last 32 or last 16.

Jamal Petgrave is drawn against Tselidis of Greece in round one and will probably end his competition there. Prediction - Out in the 1st round.

Harry Lovell-Hewitt is against Cuba's Liester Cardona. Any Cuban judoka is a threat and I think Liester will be too strong for Lovell-Hewitt. Prediction - Out in the 1st round.

Lele Nairne is up against Italy's Capanni Dias. Could go either way but hopefully Nairne will be able to carry the day. If successful would be against Kosovo' s Gjakova in the round of 32. Prediction - Out in the round of 32

Nekoda Smythe-Davis is up against "neutral" athlete Kurbonmamadova. If she gets through that, then would potentially have one of the easier round of 32 matches against Qatar's Al-Badi. Prediction - Out in the round of 16

Lucy Renshall - Top seed so would like to think that she would be able to medal. Most dangerous risk in her section of the draw is probably Miku Takaichi of Japan. Prediction - Nasty feeling she will be out in the round of 16.

Gemma Howell has a winnable draw against Delgado Frances for the right to take on Argentina's De Lucia. Prediction - Out in the round of 16. 

Katie-Jemima Yeats Brown - Up against Emilie Sook of Denmark in the first round and if successful would be against Moscalu of Romania in round of 32. Prediction - Out in the round of 32 or last 16 

Kelly Petersen Pollard is also up against a Danish athlete - Laerke Olsen. She should be able to come through that she would be up against 7th seed Tsunoda Roustant of Spain. Prediction - Out in the round of 32.

Emma Reid unlucky to be drawn against Portugal's 8th seed Sampaio so don't expect her to progress. Prediction - Out in the 1st round.

Nathalie Powell just missed out on being seeded for the draw but will be up against Italy's Stangherlin. Could be close but hopefully Powell comes through that. If she does, good chance to get through to the last 16. Prediction - Out in the round of 16