website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

40 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Much ado anbout nothing so far. I'll be amazed if anyone actually boycotts Paris 2024 but it's long away enough that a lot of countries think they can bluff IOC with a weak hand. Watch that tactics ho nowhere the closer we get to 2024. NBC didn't pay billions of dollars for TV rights to have no US athletes involved either :lol:

Yes, ofc.

tell us sth we don’t know already 😉

good we still have some good sports this week, alpine and biathlon and whatever anyone likes

Let’s enjoy it while we still can

35 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

Yes, ofc.

tell us sth we don’t know already 😉

good we still have some good sports this week, alpine and biathlon and whatever anyone likes

Let’s enjoy it while we still can

You mean biathlon with :KOR represented by Russians? :p

16 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

You mean biathlon with :KOR represented by Russians? :p

We can't do much about it, you know.

Btw, I prefer alpine than biathlon ofc

But if you dig deep you will find some BLRUS in alpine skiing WCH as well, I'm afraid...

11 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

We can't do much about it, you know.

Btw, I prefer alpine than biathlon ofc

But if you dig deep you will find some BLRUS in alpine skiing WCH as well, I'm afraid...

Russia has been a non-factor in alpine skiing days since the Zelenskaya & Gladishiva days tbh. Khoroshilov was a total aberration but he would have probably retired even w/o the ban given his age. The bigger drama would be Vic Wild in freestyle skiing but I don't follow that stuff to know if he's still active?

Belarus is what it is, I suppose Darya Domracheva isn't getting kicked out of Norway anytime soon even though she was working for KGB during her career :lol:

2 hours ago, LDOG said:

So, the proposed solution is a new IOC with only "western" countries? lol

I've read this text one more time and i think that author used this words:

"If the West wants the sporting world to continue to respect its ideals, it must have a new FIFA and a new IOC. In the old ones it will mean less and less."

as a kind of sarcasm.

And when i recall some other texts by him I have read in the past I'm pretty sure it's a sarcasm.

I guess me and him - we both just know that this battle is already lost by "so-called West" and there is no good solution. We won't find majority in IOC here. If we stick to our point of view (or ideals, whatever you want to call it...), we would have to make a new IOC ineed - which doesn't make sense because we want the olympic games and not the eurogames, westgames or sth.

So let's be it. In the old IOC west will mean less and less. Ok. Let it be. Who cares.

Frankly, I don't care, because what I care and what I want is this war to end. And I don't want to see even major war all around the world this century.

If I could only watch Paris olympics in peace, without much non-sport concern on my head - that would be nice addition to this no-war thing. But if this war continues in summer 2024 i just won't be in mood to any olympics stuff...

Edited by rafalgorka

Let i've said before, no real boycott will happen at the end and it's just smoke and lightning from a few countries to see, if their bluff will work. US and Canada will not boycott in anyway and France is the worst host for this idea, as they are a valuable strategic partner in bigger, non-sports, departments.

Do people actually believe there won't be any backstage strings being pulled, so that the French Games aren't ruined? The 3 Baltic states are the only ones i see, that could potentially stick it to the end, as it won't be a significant loss for them (or the Games), if they missed out. Mayyyyybe 1-2 of the Scandinavian ones, but i can't see how Macron wouldn't sway them. Poland is barking the loudest, but i would be gobsmacked, if they actually boycotted. Their politicians are just using what is popular today and then will promptly make up an excuse, when time comes. 

37 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Poland is barking the loudest, but i would be gobsmacked, if they actually boycotted. Their politicians are just using what is popular today and then will promptly make up an excuse, when time comes. 

True, agree 100%

And we must remember that there are these parliamentary elections this autumn here is POL

There is a chance - a very slim one but there is - that there will be completely different politicians in the government in summer 2024 than the ones we have there now.

And obviously the ones who govern now will do anything  they can in 24 to grab the power again

So I can see them talking : "we wanted to boycott for a good cause but these guys don't, look at them, how awful and pro-Russian they are!"

but whatever, i don't think we will have completely different people in the government in 2024 than we have now this is only a hipotical situation

on the other hand, whether i'd like to see a political change here, well, you can make your guesses

Edited by rafalgorka

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Much ado anbout nothing so far. I'll be amazed if anyone actually boycotts Paris 2024 but it's long away enough that a lot of countries think they can bluff IOC with a weak hand. Watch that tactics ho nowhere the closer we get to 2024. NBC didn't pay billions of dollars for TV rights to have no US athletes involved either :lol:

Something for Totallympics' Americans. If Russians compete in 2024 and the USA is already losing interest in the Olympics compared to the past how much would this affect how much NBC (or any US TV station) would pay for their next contract?

38 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Something for Totallympics' Americans. If Russians compete in 2024 and the USA is already losing interest in the Olympics compared to the past how much would this affect how much NBC (or any US TV station) would pay for their next contract?

The current deal with NBC expires after the 2032 games, so I think how LA goes matters a lot more than how Paris goes.