website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I think there needs to be a balance between having stability in the program and also evolving.

I think adding sports like climbing, skateboarding and cricket were all overdue changes, I’m just not super keen in how it was done.

I mean yeah the problem is not adding new sport is about balancing between adding those sport and the effect on other sports, I mean if the Olympics are limited to 10,500 athletes and we decided to add new sports it could be at the expense of Sports that for them the Olympics is the peak. For me E-sports could be a prep to the Olympics or a different games but not as a part of them. 
I just hope that the Olympics will not cut some events just for a sport to come in for a single olympics(like Karate, and maybe Breakdancing) , but yeah adding things could be great as long as it’s done right 

I think one solution to the eSports dilemma is to have this eSports Olympics which was launched (at least it was written here) recently like one week after the Olympics concludes. Therefore it can have media exposure related to the Games but still kept separate.

It could be held in a repurposed Olympics venue (but it has to have air conditioning, hahahaha 😂 😄)

4 minutes ago, pdr4332 said:

I think one solution to the eSports dilemma is to have this eSports Olympics which was launched (at least it was written here) recently like one week after the Olympics concludes. Therefore it can have media exposure related to the Games but still kept separate.

It could be held in a repurposed Olympics venue (but it has to have air conditioning, hahahaha 😂 😄)

Every solution that will not tamper with the actual games itself could be a good thing one week before or after could benefit the hosting city even

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Since the next Olympics are in 2028, and of course by now the program is entirely finalized I assume (since athletes start their new Olympic cycle immediately): is there a clear list of events that were in Paris and won't be in LA, and events that weren't in Paris and will be in LA?

The 2024-events were announced in december 2020 (though with a TBD's in sailing and race walking)

Ya I think people can relax about esports, they likely won’t ever be in the Summer Olympics.

The esports Olympic games are going to be a standalone event that will succeed or (most likely given how the IOC is approaching esports) fail on it’s own terms.

Ironically I don’t think anyone is more skeptical of the esports Olympic games than the members of the various esports communities. Making the event viable is going to be a huge challenge for the IOC.

I feel like most people don’t really understand that the esports Olympics are shaping up to be one of the biggest failure in the history of the IOC.

But either way, the existence of the esports Olympics kills any chance of esports being added to the summer games. If the esports Olympic games thrive as a standalone event then there won’t be a reason to add esports to the summer games. If the esports Olympics fail then the IOC will be extremely hesitant to add esports to the summer games.

Edited by NearPup

3 hours ago, NearPup said:

Ya, if I had my way the quotas / events freed up from eliminating lightweight rowing would have gone to canoeing.

If I had my way, we'd be able to have an acceptable cycling road race (or many other options) with the quotas that are available after rhythmic gymnastics, artistic swimming, judo, dressage and boxing are out, but yeah :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Ya I think people can relax about esports, they likely won’t ever be in the Summer Olympics.

The esports Olympic games are going to be a standalone event that will succeed or (most likely given how the IOC is approaching esports) fail on it’s own terms.

Where I think one of the biggest things is that it's a purely commercial product. As in, the developer of game X will want it to be Olympic, because of sales only.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!