website statistics

Fencing at the European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Benolympique said:

no no France has not lodged any dispute!

Actually, we did :p

A swiss fencer (Favre) went out on an injury during the SF, before turning again for the final. Apparently, he should have seeked medical consultation for that and that was not the case.

Final decision to be made in a few days.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Escrime/Actualites/Les-epeistes-francais-ont-porte-reclamation-contre-la-suisse-aux-jeux-europeens-de-cracovie/1405721

Because of this weird split ECh I was wondering how the actual Euros medal table looks like (individual events from Plovdiv and team events from Krakow)

:ITA 5-5-6

:FRA 5-4-3

:HUN 1-2-1

:GEO 1-0-0

:SUI 0-1-0

:GER 0-0-4

:GRE 0-0-1

:EST 0-0-1

:TUR 0-0-1

:POL 0-0-1

So a very dominant Euros from Italy and France, they won 83% of the gold medals and 67% of the medals. 

4 minutes ago, rybak said:

@Vektor In which team events, after the Games, Poland will be on qualification places?

Based on the Olympic qualification ranking... one team. Women's foil.

But it's still VERY early. I think you should be fine in men's foil and women's epee as well as long as you don't mess up at the World Championships.

At this very moment the qualification ranking is a giant mess because we only had 1 World Cup event (2 in women's foil) and the continentals. African teams for example will fall behind once the continental points will matter less.

Anyway, here are the teams that are currently in qualifying positions. This will change a lot after the World Champs.

Men's epee - :KAZ  :HUN  :JPN  :EGY  :VEN  :KOR  :SUI  :MAR 

Women's epee - :FRA  :KOR  :USA  :HKG  :HUN  :CAN  :EGY  :CHN

Men's foil - :USA  :ITA  :JPN  :FRA  :EGY  :KOR  :CAN  :GER

Women's foil - :ITA  :USA  :FRA  :JPN  :CAN  :CHN  :POL  :EGY 

Men's sabre - :USA  :HUN  :FRA  :IRI  :KOR  :ITA  :EGY  :CAN 

Women's sabre - :USA  :KOR  :FRA  :UKR  :ITA  :CHN  :EGY  :MEX

Women's foil seems reasonable as it already had two World Cup events. The other 5 are a mess. Italy will NOT fail to qualify their epee teams, that's not happening. France will NOT fail to qualify their men's epee team.

The one thing that won't change is this: the US will qualify 5 teams this time. 

Btw, in case you want to know about which team events are likely to have an African team/quota...

Men's epee - Egypt already got a very crucial 10th place at the first world cup event, I think they will qualify

Women's epee - Egypt is good at picking up Top16 placements here, I think they will qualify

Men's foil - 100% certain quota for Egypt. they aren't even far from the Top4

Women's foil - Egypt already skipped two World Cup events, which is a big mistake, because the number of teams is low, they don't need much to qualify, I think they will get this quota as long as they show up at the next 3 World Cup events

Men's sabre - 100% certain quota for Egypt

Women's sabre - weakest team event for Egypt, I doubt that they will collect enough points

So... I think it's either 4 or 5 team quotas for Egypt. Probably 5, it would be very silly if they throw away their quota in women's foil by skipping events.

On 6/30/2023 at 6:04 AM, Illya said:

Why I'm not gaggin' why our girls lost to Greece in such way? It's obvious, we can win France, Hungary, Italy, USA, but Greece is our biggest rival(

Our two best fencers are ranked in the top 4 of the world

On 6/30/2023 at 1:22 PM, Vektor said:

probably a live or die moment for you in the Olympic qualification

I think it's not crucial for Ukraine in womens sabre - we have 4 very poor results in a row, 3 of them was the missing the top-16. So if Ukraine basically enters the top-16 at the WCh, it's already +20 points, which is a great boost. So the minimum challenge for our team will be entering the 16 teams, and if we do this, we still have a chance to fight for quota because draws will came a little bit easier 

On 7/1/2023 at 1:32 AM, Vektor said:

Based on the Olympic qualification ranking... one team. Women's foil.

But it's still VERY early. I think you should be fine in men's foil and women's epee as well as long as you don't mess up at the World Championships.

At this very moment the qualification ranking is a giant mess because we only had 1 World Cup event (2 in women's foil) and the continentals. African teams for example will fall behind once the continental points will matter less.

Anyway, here are the teams that are currently in qualifying positions. This will change a lot after the World Champs.

Men's epee - :KAZ  :HUN  :JPN  :EGY  :VEN  :KOR  :SUI  :MAR 

Women's epee - :FRA  :KOR  :USA  :HKG  :HUN  :CAN  :EGY  :CHN

Men's foil - :USA  :ITA  :JPN  :FRA  :EGY  :KOR  :CAN  :GER

Women's foil - :ITA  :USA  :FRA  :JPN  :CAN  :CHN  :POL  :EGY 

Men's sabre - :USA  :HUN  :FRA  :IRI  :KOR  :ITA  :EGY  :CAN 

Women's sabre - :USA  :KOR  :FRA  :UKR  :ITA  :CHN  :EGY  :MEX

Women's foil seems reasonable as it already had two World Cup events. The other 5 are a mess. Italy will NOT fail to qualify their epee teams, that's not happening. France will NOT fail to qualify their men's epee team.

The one thing that won't change is this: the US will qualify 5 teams this time. 

Is there any reasonable chance for any :ISR team to qualify? Or even an Athletes?

4 hours ago, Dnl said:

Is there any reasonable chance for any :ISR team to qualify? Or even an Athletes?

I'd say no.

maybe men's epee has a very, very outside chance, but it would be considered a miracle

among the individuals, Freilich might have a chance if the top European teams (:FRA:HUN and :ITA at least) qualify through the team ranking.

but it will be a super tough battle, as this is the most crowded and most unpredictable event of the whole fencing world.

in the other weapons, I don't think there are real chances for :ISR to qualify both as a team nor as individuals, unless something really unpredictable happens at the final individual OQT.

On 7/1/2023 at 1:50 AM, Vektor said:

Btw, in case you want to know about which team events are likely to have an African team/quota...

Men's epee - Egypt already got a very crucial 10th place at the first world cup event, I think they will qualify

Women's epee - Egypt is good at picking up Top16 placements here, I think they will qualify

Men's foil - 100% certain quota for Egypt. they aren't even far from the Top4

Women's foil - Egypt already skipped two World Cup events, which is a big mistake, because the number of teams is low, they don't need much to qualify, I think they will get this quota as long as they show up at the next 3 World Cup events

Men's sabre - 100% certain quota for Egypt

Women's sabre - weakest team event for Egypt, I doubt that they will collect enough points

So... I think it's either 4 or 5 team quotas for Egypt. Probably 5, it would be very silly if they throw away their quota in women's foil by skipping events.

Egyptian Fencing federation will skip 2 women teams in world championship (cost reduction following Egypt crazy inflation), not confirmed yet but potentially they will skip women foil and women Sabre !