website statistics

Fencing at the European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 3 weeks later...

@phelps Who makes the call on this event, the EFC or FIE? Because EFC is very clearly against Russian participation and they are in a direct conflict with FIE on this. I have seen rumors that FIE wants to move this event to Budapest where Russians would be allowed to participate, but the European Federation would be very much against this. 

Edited by Vektor

40 minutes ago, Vektor said:

@phelps Who makes the call on this event, the EFC or FIE? Because EFC is very clearly against Russian participation and they are in a direct conflict with FIE on this. I have seen rumors that FIE wants to move this event to Budapest where Russians would be allowed to participate, but the European Federation would be very much against this. 

afaik, it should be EFC.

but the EGs have always been a Eastern European (and Russian in particular) garden, so I wouldn't take it for granted.

I don't call even some kind of dispute off.

16 minutes ago, phelps said:

afaik, it should be EFC.

but the EGs have always been a Eastern European (and Russian in particular) garden, so I wouldn't take it for granted.

I don't call even some kind of dispute off.

I’d imagine any decision would likely need to be okayed by the EOC and local organizers as well (if the FIE would like to remain a part of the European Games).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Doesn't this mean that the FIE are going to be actively discriminating against European athletes? Unless the ranking points are going to be taken from the other continental events then how is there a level playing field for all athletes looking to secure qualification to Paris?

• 1 month later...