website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Broadcasters

1 minute ago, phelps said:

that's what will eventually hurt me more than anything...

the 8 dedicated channels (plus BBC1, BBC2 and BBC4) of 2016 (not to mention the 24 sat channels in 2012) will be missed a lot...

The 24 Channels of 2012 were really only 12, but doubled up SD & HD.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Grassmarket said:

The 24 Channels of 2012 were really only 12, but doubled up SD & HD.

no, on satellite there were 24 feeds all in HD, working all day long...

basically, every sport had a dedicated channel...

so far, it's been the dream coverage of all times...

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm assuming the Eurosport Player falls under one of those two categories, or are they planning to bring an entirely new system live in the weeks before the Olympics?

Edit: just checked and apparently the Eurosport Player is the go-to place in the Netherlands, with basically everything live. Dutch NOS has a sublicense for the rights to many of the competitions with Dutch athletes.

That means my Eurosport Player subscription will once again pay itself back easily with hundreds of hours of live Olympics :woohoo: 

Yes, same with me. ESP on the ready.

With regards to local Hungarian coverage, I hope the local broadcaster (M4 Sport) makes available all the streams on their website (during Rio there were 12 or so different streams)

The main coverage is probably again 2 channels (M4 and M4+) as it was back then. 

7 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, on satellite there were 24 feeds all in HD, working all day long...

basically, every sport had a dedicated channel...

so far, it's been the dream coverage of all times...

Ah ok, if that is the way your provider did it.  My memory is that actually the 12 Olympic Broadcast channels we got on cable were indeed enough to cover ever single televised event (there were a couple of non-televised things like archery ranking day).

3 minutes ago, dharang said:

With regards to local Hungarian coverage, I hope the local broadcaster (M4 Sport) makes available all the streams on their website (during Rio there were 12 or so different streams)

The main coverage is probably again 2 channels (M4 and M4+) as it was back then. 

I think it is precisely those extra streams which are now ESP only. 

Come to think…..will I have enough HDMI slots in my TV?  :mumble:

Just now, Grassmarket said:

Ah ok, if that is the way it was done.  My memory is that actually the 12 Olympic Broadcast channels we got on cable were indeed enough to cover ever single televised event (there were a couple of non-televised things like archery ranking day).

yeah, I remember that it was different between Satellite, cable and red button coverage, with satellite offering more than the other options...

at that time, I just got crazy jumping from one event to the other like never before (even if I've always been used to "olympic zapping" on satellite since I got my forst dish in 1996)...:d

5 minutes ago, dharang said:

I think the days of national broadcasters showing multiple streams are over. Ireland was the same. 6-12 streamed events available. I think the Discovery deal may mean everyone is down to 1 or 2

1 minute ago, phelps said:

yeah, I remember that it was different between Satellite, cable and red button coverage, with satellite offering more than the other options...

Sounds like it was the same live, but with satellite offering more catch-up options. The key thing is going to be how quickly the ES Player transfers live events to archived catch-up coverage. If it’s instantaneous, fine. If there’s a consistent lag……:mirror:…..life will quickly get tough.

Just now, Grassmarket said:

Sounds like it was the same live, but with satellite offering more catch-up options. The key thing is going to be how quickly the ES Player transfers live events to archived catch-up coverage. If it’s instantaneous, fine. If there’s a consistent lag……:mirror:…..life will quickly get tough.

looking at what they do with the tennis feeds, they're quick...but they always put a spoiler of the final result included in the window of the ondemand feed...

if they do something like that with a single olympic feed, I don't know what I'm gonna do...:spank: :smash: