website statistics

Sailing WS World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Thanks! Are only olympic classes contested at the world championships?

Edit: Seems like an overkill to have 3 Dinghy events.

I think the single handed dinghy events - ILCA6 & ILCA 7 - are  essentially entry level boats which allows smaller nations to take part. In that regard they are similar to the single sculls event in rowing.

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I think the single handed dinghy events - ILCA6 & ILCA 7 - are  essentially entry level boats which allows smaller nations to take part. In that regard they are similar to the single sculls event in rowing.

Would say that optimist is the main entry level boat.

But the ILCA classes are the most contested. It is cheaper than the other classes and the one-design rules also helps the universality. Unless a new "universality class" is made, I don't see it cut in the future.

Killing 470 would mean killing history, but it has been done with both Star and Finn. Wouldn't be surprised if that's coming in the future.

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Thanks! Are only olympic classes contested at the world championships?

Edit: Seems like an overkill to have 3 Dinghy events.

yes

it's properly the Olympic Classes World Championship (and it's held in this form once every 4 years, in the pre-Olympic season)

26 minutes ago, Agger said:

Would say that optimist is the main entry level boat.

But the ILCA classes are the most contested. It is cheaper than the other classes and the one-design rules also helps the universality. Unless a new "universality class" is made, I don't see it cut in the future.

Killing 470 would mean killing history, but it has been done with both Star and Finn. Wouldn't be surprised if that's coming in the future.

together with that farce named Kitesurf, imho that's the event that should go immediately to make room for a (partially, at least) match-race based event (6-man F50 Sail-GP boats would be perfect)

sorry for the historical loss, but also having the mixed version instead of men and women by themselves has already killed history

2 hours ago, phelps said:

together with that farce named Kitesurf, imho that's the event that should go immediately to make room for a (partially, at least) match-race based event (6-man F50 Sail-GP boats would be perfect)

sorry for the historical loss, but also having the mixed version instead of men and women by themselves has already killed history

I'm in no way an expert, but I see no way that something nearly as big as the F50 ever makes it into the Olympics.  I wouldn't mind some match-racing back, but that's gonna be with a crew of 2 or 3. 

The F50 would be extremely exclusive, expensive and would take a lot more from the boat park!

Trying to make sense of where everything stands for the quotas. I am listing the nations that are currently in qualifying positions and the next 5 nations that are closest to them.

Men's Windsurfing (11 boat quotas, 8 out of 20 races complete) 

:NED  :ITA  :GER  :ESP  :ISR  :AUS  :CHN  :POL  :NZL  :SUI  :BRA  ||  :GBR  :NOR  :LTU  :ARU  :DEN 

Women's Windsurfing (11 boat quotas, 5 out of 20 races complete)

:GBR  :CHN  :NED  :ISR  :NOR  :ESP  :ITA  :GER  :MEX  :POL  :CRO  ||  :DEN  :PER  :NZL  :CZE  :JPN 

Men's Kite (8 boat quotas, 8 out of 20 races complete)

:SGP  :SLO  :ITA  :POL  :GER  :AUT  :CRO  :CHN  ||  :CYP  :GBR  :BRA  :USA  :GRE

Women's Kite (8 boat quotas, 8 out of 20 races complete)

:GBR  :GER  :USA  :NED  :ISR  :CHN  :ITA  :POL  ||  :SUI  :AUS  :ESP  :AUT  :NZL

Men's Dinghy (16 boat quotas, 4 out of 10 races complete)

:GBR  :CYP  :GER  :NOR  :AUS  :NZL  :NED  :SWE  :CRO  :HUN  :FIN  :ESP  :IRL  :SLO  :POR  :IND  ||  :BEL  :ITA  :DEN  :PER

Women's Dinghy (16 boat quotas, 4 out of 10 races complete)

:HUN  :ITA  :DEN  :GER  :USA  :NED  :SWE  :BEL  :AUS  :SUI  :GBR  :ITA  :POR  :ARG  :POL  :TUR  ||  :CAN  :FIN  :NOR  :JPN

Men's Skiff (10 boat quotas, 12 out of 15 races complete)

:NED  :GBR  :SUI  :NZL  :USA  :POL  :CRO  :IRL  :AUT  :DEN  ||  :ITA  :GER  :URU  :AUS  :CHN

Women's Skiff (10 boat quotas, 12 out of 15 races complete)

:SWE  :AUS  :USA  :GBR  :NED  :NOR  :BEL  :NZL  :ESP  :DEN  ||  :FIN  :GER  :BRA  :ITA  :CAN

Mixed Dinghy (8 boat quotas, 8 out of 11 races complete)

:JPN  :GER  :ESP  :AUT  :POR  :ISR  :SWE  :GBR  ||  :CHN  :SUI  :USA  :TUR  :ITA 

Mixed Multihull (9 boat quotas, 12 out of 15 races complete)

:ITA  :GBR  :SWE  :GER  :ARG  :NED  :NZL  :FIN  :ESP  ||  :AUT  :DEN  :USA  :AUS  :CHN 

Edited by Vektor

25 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Trying to make sense of where everything stands for the quotas. I am listing the nations that are currently in qualifying positions and the next 5 nations that are closest to them.

Women's Dinghy (16 boat quotas, 4 out of 10 races complete)

:HUN  :ITA  :DEN  :GER  :USA  :NED  :SWE  :BEL  :AUS  :SUI  :GBR  :DEN  :ITA  :POR  :ARG  :POL  ||  :TUR  :CAN  :FIN  :NOR  :JPN

Not that I would mind it, but you got a couple of doubles :p