website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Championships 2023

Totallympics

Polish National TV - TVP sport - haven't noticed Pidruchny performance much, no interview with him or his coach, only talking to Boe brothers and Polish athletes. Sad.

His father was a soldier stationing with Soviet Army in Legnica, Poland in 1980s. His sister Olena Pidruchna was born in Legnica.

1 hour ago, rafalgorka said:

:NOR how they do it?

their D.N.A. rocks or sth??? 😉

Helps when you are one of two countries that Cares about this Sport and actually has enough Snow to Train for it (the other Country being Sweden). Finland, USA, Canada don’t care about this sport and Russia isnt allowed to compete. The norwegian dominance in Sports like Cross-country skiing, biathlon, Nordic combined or alpine skiing will only get bigger thanks to Climate change. I Wonder if they will manage to win 50+ medals at a Single Winter Olympics before the winter olympics will finally be abandoned. It is completely absurd for a Country like Germany to finance Sports like alpine skiing or Cross-Country skiing.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Good performance from our young guns today. Sadly the one who should have been the best (Jakov Fak) doesn't even make the pursuit. Like Anamarija, Polona and a few others he was ill and has said in the post race interview that in the second lap he started hurting. He knew that he wasn't going to make a good time. On a positive side, Anamarija has confirmed that she will be starting tomorrow so there's that. Dunno what she can do, being so far down, but it seems like she will use it as practice, as she said her only goal is to not be caught by Denise. 

We have a good young core. Here's hoping Ricco Gross stays for the whole olympic cycle and they keep improving together. They've already made a huge progress this season, and that's with Ricco not knowing the team at all before the start. It should only get better from here. 

As for the race itself. It was interesting seeing them race in such conditions. Our commentators said it was on the edge of regularity. I think we all expected way more missed shots, thus giving a chance to someone with a higher bib if the conditions would get better. As usual it didn't happen. JTB was also super lucky today. I think he hit at least 4 or 5 shots on the edge. Every one of them could have gone wide. Especially in the standing. Overall 5 NOR flags in top 6. One for the ages. Clearly they're doing something right. 

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

Am old enough to remember when the big question was “What can we do about German dominance in women’s biathlon?”

And people found the answer to that - just convince their 2 most dominant athletes to retire at age 25. :p

4 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Am old enough to remember when the big question was “What can we do about German dominance in women’s biathlon?”

1) I think the two Main Reasons why german women Used to dominate Biathlon and speed skating were:

a) Some of them still benefiting from the Former GDR system 

b) Other countries (Norway, Netherlands) Not Realizing their potential 

2) I don’t See any reason why Norway should fall off a Cliff. USA and Canada could challenge them, but they don’t care about Biathlon. Russia as well could challenge them, But of Course it is impossible to predict when they will be back. 

3) People shouldnt forget that just one year ago Fillon Maillet was on the Same Level as Boe. The french men Overall have Been Weaker this year + Germany Lost Almost all of their Top Guys in just 2 or 3 years (Schempp, Peiffer, Lesser) + Austria has become irrelevant. I could definitely See some Young guys like Giacomel Breaking their dominance soon.

4) We shouldn’t forget that Norwegian women are clearly weaker than they used to be.

Norway probably has the most potential going forward thanks to climate change and their tradition, but I don’t think that they will remain as dominant.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

:ITA Lisa Vittozzi DNS in pursuit due to illness...

Meaning Bendika would likely be in now (if Lampic is indeed not going to start) and Kozica would only need four more withdrawals if biathlon would have rules that make sense. Ugh.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!