website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

5 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

But if you haven’t watched every single show in history, how can you say that too :p 

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Haven't you grown used to his "xxx is arguably the best xxx of all-time" or "xxx is most likely among the best xxx ever" yet? :evil: 

Not disagreeing, but you should watch the show before you immediately write it off. (Yes, the first episode is a lot, but it only gets better from there)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Not disagreeing, but you should watch the show before you immediately write it off. (Yes, the first episode is a lot, but it only gets better from there)

Oh I haven't watched it, and have no idea if it's good or bad. Hence I'm definitely not writing it off, that's not at all what I meant :d (I've got a ton of other things I'm watching though, and adding yet another show in it is a bit much)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Jeez, this category. Great selection this year. “A, Sister” fantastic short film out of France. I’d say 8/10 or 9/10 on this one, but I’d still be okay with it winning

This is by far my favourite out of that category, although we've seen similar stories before ("Operator" short film and danish feature "The Guilty" + Halle Berry-starred atrocity "The Call" a few years back). I like the others, but some of them rely too much in gimmicks that didn't feel natural for me. Granted, these are short movies, so filmmakers don't have a lot of time to convey all the things they want to show, but in the end I was disappointed by most of the nominees.

My ranking would be: 1. A Sister (Une soeur), 2. Nefta Football Club, 3. The Neighbor's Window; 4. Saria; 5. Brotherhood.

1 minute ago, vinipereira said:

This is by far my favourite of that category, although we've seen similar stories before ("Operator" short film and danish feature "The Guilty"). I like the others, but some of them rely too much in gimmicks that didn't feel natural for me. Granted, these are short movies, so filmmakers don't have a lot of time to convey all the things they want to show, but in the end I was disappointed by most of the nominees.

My ranking would be: 1. A Sister (Une soeur), 2. Nefta Football Club, 3. The Neighbor's Window; 4. Saria; 5. Brotherhood.

My ranking (only including Oscar nominated shorts): 1. Brotherhood 2. The Neighbor’s Window 3. A Sister 4. Saria (haven’t seen it) 5. (And should not have been nominated to me) Nefta Football Club

I love the diversity of stories in this category this year. We see films in from all over the world, and in 4 different languages. It’s a great selection, and I can’t wait to see who will win.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I have completed the list of documentary feature nominees. My ranking is as follows: 1. Honeyland, 2. For Sama, 3. American Factory, 4. The Cave, 5. The Edge of Democracy.

Hope Honeyland wins (I felt its subject truly matters). For Sama would be fine too, even though Syria has left the public eye for a while now so I doubt it stands a chance. American Factory will probably win (because Obama...). It was at least better than I expected. The Cave is inferior to For Sama and somewhat redundant, while The Edge of Democracy is messy.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, rybak said:

Anyone is watching/watched The Last Kingdom? This serie becomes quickly my new favourite, this is even better than GoT. 

I saw the first two seasons long ago and have been waiting FOREVER for season three to appear on Netflix, which apparently happened finally last month or so. Now it's been so long I'll have to watch the first two seasons again to remember who's who, but I know I very much like it :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Przed chwilą, heywoodu napisał:

I saw the first two seasons long ago and have been waiting FOREVER for season three to appear on Netflix, which apparently happened finally last month or so. Now it's been so long I'll have to watch the first two seasons again to remember who's who, but I know I very much like it :d 

If you want I can make for you a quick reminder of everything :p

According some rumors before or during summer there will be fourth season :cheer:

Just now, rybak said:

If you want I can make for you a quick reminder of everything :p

According some rumors before or during summer there will be fourth season :cheer:

Nah thanks, it's more fun to watch it again :d 

7 hours ago, dcro said:

I have completed the list of documentary feature nominees. My ranking is as follows: 1. Honeyland, 2. For Sama, 3. American Factory, 4. The Cave, 5. The Edge of Democracy.

Hope Honeyland wins (I felt its subject truly matters). For Sama would be fine too, even though Syria has left the public eye for a while now so I doubt it stands a chance. American Factory will probably win (because Obama...). It was at least better than I expected. The Cave is inferior to For Sama and somewhat redundant, while The Edge of Democracy is messy.

My ranking would be almost the same, except that I will put The Edge of Democracy above American Factory and The Cave. Honestly I only watched the brazilian film this week because I didn't want to relive all those moments again. I think the documentary explained the situation quite well, although I don't really wanna watch anything on the subject matter for at least some years.

Honeyland is a gem and I hope it wins, although I agree American Factory probably will - not only because Obama, but because the story feels more familiar for the voters compared to other nominees.