website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Also, when watching Marriage Story, I couldn't get away from its number of similarities to Kramer v Kramer (which surprisingly won several Oscars including Best Picture).

I thought it couldn't possibly be any more Oscar-baity - but then I saw Little Women... :whistle:

#banbestmen

Why did 1917 strike some many people as the Best Picture this year? It fell rather flat for me, and didn’t have a strong story. I didn’t leave the theater feeling like that was the best film of the year.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

My rankings of the films i've watched:

1. Ford v Ferrari, 2. Once Upon a Time, 3. The Irishman, 4. Joker, 5. Marriage Story (PS. Knives Out was also enjoyable)

Haven't had the time yet to watch Parasite, 1917 and Pain and Glory, but i will at some point. Maybe will give a go to one of them tonight. No interest in watching Jojo or Little Women. 

I had gigantic expectations for The Irishman, given the theme, the subject, the cast, Scorsese, all of which are amongst my favorite. I thought it could have been The Godfather for our generation, but that was too much to ask. It was still a great film and i enjoyed it very much, but it just wasn't the iconic stuff, that i had hoped for. 

Once Upon was great. It was something different from Tarantino, but it still felt like him. It wasn't his best film, but the guy never disappoints. It's a damn shame, if he makes just one more movie. I can watch him talk about the history of cinema for hours. The film will start the renaissance of Brad Pitt now. With this performance, he could have won in any of the previous years and i wish it was a different year, because i would have liked another win for Pacino or Pesci. 

I didn't expect to have Ford v Ferrari as my highest rated film of 2019, but it was nonstop fun. 2.5 hours is a long time for a movie in nowadays and i didn't noticed how the time flew away. When it end, i was "What, it's over, already?"  I could have watched it 5 times in-a-row, and i wouldn't get tired of it. Another great performance by Bale. The guy is just perfection in every role. Even if the story was slightly changed, than what happened in real life, i can understand it from a movie stand point. We rarely get good motorsport movies and i'm thankful we have this one. I'll be disappointed, if it doesn't win at least one Oscar tonight. 

Joker and it's topic could have been made with any regular character. It didn't need the label comic book movie and the Joker character in it. It wasn't his origin story, or what we know from the comics. I would have had it in higher regard, if it was a told from an unknown persons view. And it could have better story that way, because this film was all about Joaquin Phoenix and nothing more.     

3 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Joker and it's topic could have been made with any regular character. It didn't need the label comic book movie and the Joker character in it. It wasn't his origin story, or what we know from the comics. I would have had it in higher regard, if it was a told from an unknown persons view. And it could have better story that way, because this film was all about Joaquin Phoenix and nothing more.     

Such films already exist (check Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, both directed by Scorsese). I believe the idea behind Joker was to turn those classics into some origin story for Joker. But it very much failed, comicbook fans didn't like it (from what I heard) and moviesgoers didn't like it either (since it lacked originality and subtletly that made the likes of Taxi Driver great; Joker just copied a lot of scenes and had everything spelled out).

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Such films already exist (check Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, both directed by Scorsese). I believe the idea behind Joker was to turn those classics into some origin story for Joker. But it very much failed, comicbook fans didn't like it (from what I heard) and moviesgoers didn't like it either (since it lacked originality and subtletly that made the likes of Taxi Driver great; Joker just copied a lot of scenes and had everything spelled out).

Agreed, but still i wouldn't say that people didn't like it. It made over a billion dollars without China, which is an amazing achievement. It has a bonkers score on IMDB. 90% of the internet will call it a masterpiece. It just didn't do it for me, 7/10 

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Agreed, but still i wouldn't say that people didn't like it. It made over a billion dollars without China, which is an amazing achievement. It has a bonkers score on IMDB. 90% of the internet will call it a masterpiece. It just didn't do it for me, 7/10 

Right. I should have been more clear - moviebuffs and hardcore comicbook fans don't like it. :p

#banbestmen

This (Turkish?) grandmother should really consider communications. She would make a killing just talking about her experiences :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, LDOG said:

Every fat nerd I've seen/read in sites like youtube or 4chan thinks it's the best movie ever.

How do you know people posting on 4chan or YouTube are fat nerds and how do we know you aren't? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

How do you know people posting on 4chan or YouTube are fat nerds and how do we know you aren't? :p 

Same, I read this as “LDOG surfs 4chan”. Interesting.