website statistics

Totallympics Awards 2022

vinipereira

4 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

For Evenepoel, I assume this was his best year yet? So that's kinda what the category is meant for. As for best youth athlete, I would vote for talents that show the greatest potential for a successful carreer. But if things are to confunsing, maybe we could leave only the Breakthrough category and delete the Youth award.

Football should be considered Olympic, no matter what age.

There's no need to delete any category for me. More categories, more fun thinking of all the contenders:clap:. My questions were really more curiosity and in no way meant as a criticism.

Looking forward to the voting tomorrow!

32 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

There's no need to delete any category for me. More categories, more fun thinking of all the contenders:clap:. My questions were really more curiosity and in no way meant as a criticism.

Looking forward to the voting tomorrow!

Sometimes is hard to categorize because some people would fit both categories, but maybe a good criteria would be to vote for people above 19 years old for Breakthrough (which also allows teams), and leave the 18 or younger to the Youth category? But anyone can have their own criteria.

1) I think there should be a clear definition for who qualifies for each award. 

2) I think in certain sports (like swimming or gymnastics) it is much easier for young athletes to succeed, but i am not sure what that should mean for the awards ...

3) My award categories would look like this:

- Best male athlete summer sport

- Best male athlete winter sport

- Best female athlete summer sport

- Best female athlete winter sport

- Best male newcomer summer sport

- Best male newcomer winter sport

- Best female newcomer summer sport

- Best female newcomer winter sport

- Best men's team (summer or winter)*

- Best women's team (summer or winter)

- Best moment

* In my opinion there aren't enough teams in winter sports to justify an own award for that

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

BEST FEMALE ATHLETE

for sportswomen in Olympic sports

#1: Marte Olsbu Roiseland
#2: Therese Johaug
#3: Eileen Gu
#4: Irene Schouten
#5: Katie Ledecky
#6: Iga Swiatek

BEST MALE ATHLETE

for sportsmen in Olympic sports

#1: Marco Odermatt
#2: Johannes Thingnes Boe
#3: Nils van der Poel
#4: Jacob Ingebrigtsen
#5: Kristof Milak
#6: Gregorio Paltrinieri

BREAKTHROUGH OF THE YEAR

for the most improved athlete or team (including Olympic, Paralympic and Non-Olympic sports)

#1: Su Yiming
#2: David Popovici
#3: Leon Marchand
#4: Summer McIntosh
#5: Carlos Alcaraz
#6: Jonas Vingegaard

Mykolas Alekna

Johannes Strolz

Elvira Öberg

Francesca Lollobrigida

Mollie O'Callaghan

Sarah Chaari

Tobi Amusan

Eleanor Patterson

Quentin Fillon Maillet

Simon Ehammer

Victor Wembanyama

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

BEST MEN'S NATIONAL TEAM

for men's teams, pairs or groups (including Olympic, Paralympic and Non-Olympic sports)

#1: Argentina football
#2:
#3:
#4:
#5:
#6:

BEST WOMEN'S NATIONAL TEAM

for women's teams, pairs or groups (including Olympic, Paralympic and Non-Olympic sports)

#1: Serbia volleyball
#2:
#3:
#4:
#5:
#6:

SPORT MOMENT OF THE YEAR

for any sport moment from 2022 (including Olympic, Paralympic and Non-Olympic sports)

#1: Germany winning gold in cross-country skiing women's team sprint at the 2022 olympics
#2:
#3:
#4:
#5:
#6:

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

The 'only 1 vote for your own country' rule makes me realised what a nationalist sports fan I am...:whistle:

I'm struggling to come up with non-Dutch sports moments and Olympic spirit votes.

Also which mens teams did anything notable this year? It's like Argentina's world cup victory has erased my memory of all other mens teams.

19 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) I think there should be a clear definition for who qualifies for each award. 

2) I think in certain sports (like swimming or gymnastics) it is much easier for young athletes to succeed, but i am not sure what that should mean for the awards ...

I think it's clear for most categories, including Youth Athlete (18 or under). The only question is that some youth athletes can also be considered for the Breakthrough category. I agree about Gymnastics, although today we see "older" getting the spotlight (Andrade, Black, Jones, Carey are all over 20), even though Gadirova would fall in the youth category. Women's skateboarding also have a lot of younger athletes at the top level.

48 minutes ago, vlad said:

I suggest another category: biggest surprise of 2022 in sports (olympic and non-olympic moments together). :mumble:

I feel like people would vote for these in "Sport Moment" of the year. I remember that the 7x1 match in 2014 won the award, and that moment was kinda surprising (not the defeat, obviously, but how hard Germany trashed Brazil).

52 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

The 'only 1 vote for your own country' rule makes me realised what a nationalist sports fan I am...:whistle:

I'm struggling to come up with non-Dutch sports moments and Olympic spirit votes.

Also which mens teams did anything notable this year? It's like Argentina's world cup victory has erased my memory of all other mens teams.

Personally i think that this rule is stupid. It might be ok for people form smaller nations (for example i won't have a problem only nominating 1 finnish athlete), but if american people follow this rule, they are pretty much by definition forced to not vote for the best candidates in some categories.