website statistics

Swimming 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

On 4/10/2023 at 2:47 AM, Cinnamon Bun said:

Watch out for her in the next few years, she's our version of Summer McIntosh and is the next big thing in women's long distance swimming. She gave Freya Colbert a run for her money in the 800, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if she gets the worlds consideration times and Olympic standard times for both 800 and 1500.  

Those times are very impressive for someone of her age, but it is absolutely ridiculous to compare her to McIntosh or predict that she will be the next big thing in women’s distance swimming. McIntosh might very well be the biggest talent in the history of women’s swimming and is on a trajectory to become the GOAT female swimmer. There have been tons of female teenage phenoms in women’s distance swimming that never won anything at senior level and apart from that there are also a lot of other young girls who are clearly ahead of Blocksidge while not being much older (Grimes, Sims, Weinstein, McIntosh, Chinese girls, Dyakova (Russian girl born in 2008 who went 4:07 in the 400 free this week)). McIntosh (born in 2006) only narrowly missed a medal at the 2021 Olympics. I don’t really see Blocksidge (born in 2009) doing the same next year in Paris. She would have to drop 15-20 seconds in the 800 free and/or 35-40 seconds in the 1500 free, which means that she would have to go more than 2 seconds faster per 100 m than she did this year. 

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 hours ago, phelps said:

The time gap is a bit surprising, but Chikunova breaking a WR in the 200 not so much. She was already beating Efimova at trials as a 14yo when Yulia was a world champion an missed a medal in Tokyo by nothing. So the trajectory was there. Given that this meet is kinda a worlds meet for russians, and most WRs are broken at local meets these days... Obviously, we'll see if/when this record is ratified by WA.

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Those times are very impressive for someone of her age, but it is absolutely ridiculous to compare her to McIntosh or predict that she will be the next big thing in women’s distance swimming. McIntosh might very well be the biggest talent in the history of women’s swimming and is on a trajectory to become the GOAT female swimmer. There have been tons of female teenage phenoms in women’s distance swimming that never won anything at senior level and apart from that there are also a lot of other young girls who are clearly ahead of Blocksidge while not being much older (Grimes, Sims, Weinstein, McIntosh, Chinese girls, Dyatova (Russian girl born in 2008 who went 4:07 in the 400 free this week)). McIntosh (born in 2006) only narrowly missed a medal at the 2021 Olympics. I don’t really see Blocksidge (born in 2009) doing the same next year in Paris. She would have to drop 15-20 seconds in the 800 free and/or 35-40 seconds in the 1500 free, which means that she would have to go more than 2 seconds faster per 100 m than she did this year. 

I never compared her to Summer McIntosh, I said she's our version of her because she has a similar story and is following a similar path to her. And yes, I do think she has the potential of winning medals at world championship and Olympics to come in 800 and 1500.  

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

1 hour ago, NMQ said:

The time gap is a bit surprising, but Chikunova breaking a WR in the 200 not so much. She was already beating Efimova at trials as a 14yo when Yulia was a world champion an missed a medal in Tokyo by nothing. So the trajectory was there. Given that this meet is kinda a worlds meet for russians, and most WRs are broken at local meets these days... Obviously, we'll see if/when this record is ratified by WA.

She was long overdue for a monster swim like this!

luckily, this record by Chikunova will never be recorded as official...

you can say whatever you want, I don't trust the Russian at all...nobody will ever convince me that the "system" in place since 2008 (well discovered by 2014, see the McLaren Report and other findings) has been stopped, as the people who thought and realized that shit is still in charge.

and now they had more than a year of build up without any sort of testing.

if you want to cover your eyes with some good salami slices, do it.

but I won't take anything coming from there for "legal" in terms of sports performances.

p.s. and she's only the sum of the iceberg, look at all the results from the Kazan meet...:facepalm:

Argentina Nationals started today. I don't expect any OQT this week, but on the first night Macarena Ceballos was really close with a big PB in the 100m BR (1:07.29), just shy of the national record from Julia Sebastian (1:06.98) and the OQT (1:06.79). It's the only "A" time for Fukuoka today too. 

Other interesting time: 15yo Agostina Hein set an age group record in the 800FR (8:38.89).

Day 2 of Argentina Nationals saw no OQTs or "A" marks for Fukuoka, but the highlight was again 15yo Hein (whose birthday was only 3 days ago). She swam a 4:47.39 in the 400 IM to break the 14/15 age group record, but it's also a faster time than the 16-18 age national record that belongs to olympic bronze medallist Georgina Bardach from 2001. Cool. A few minutes later, she swam a 2:02.48 in the 200 FR and was just 0.25s shy of the 14-15 that belongs to former junior world champion and YOG medallist Delfina Pignatiello. 

18yo Ulises Saravia also had a big swim with a 54.73 national junior record in the 100 BK.

BTW, Bardachs 4:37.51 from the Athens olympics is still the south american record in the 400 IM. What a race that was.

Edited by NMQ

It hasn't been mentioned, but Caeleb Dressel will race again next weekend in the Atlanta Classic. It seems he will compete at trials. McIntosh and Ledecky also in the entry lists, although not in the same races. 

Mare Nostrum starts the same weekend (with some argentinian swimmers :)), so interesting days ahead.