website statistics

Name the 5 biggest gold medal hopes for your country in Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

On 12/4/2022 at 4:10 AM, Josh said:

For :CAN I would say:

1. Swimming- Women’s 400IM (Summer McIntosh)

2. Breaking- BBoys (Phil Wizard)

3. Basketball- Women’s 3X3

4. Boxing- Tammara Thibeault (75kg)

5. Swimming- Women’s 400m Freestyle (Summer McIntosh)

Eleanor Harvey is another one of the gold medal contenders, but with Lee Kiefer and Alice Volpi contending, not too sure she’s as big of a favorite as them. 

Edit: Men’s Decathlon is a special mention, with LePage just winning silver at this years World Athletics Championship, but then of course we also have the 2020 Olympic Champion Damian Warner. I’m just wondering since he was injured how will he recover from it, and so that is why I’m predicting Kevin Mayer to win gold. Plus, home crowd helps. 

5. Remove Swimming- Women’s 400m Freestyle, and change it with Swimming- Women’s 100m Butterfly. MacNeil’s dominance the past few years in this event (Whether short/long course), has really changed my opinion. 

6 hours ago, Josh said:

5. Remove Swimming- Women’s 400m Freestyle, and change it with Swimming- Women’s 100m Butterfly. MacNeil’s dominance the past few years in this event (Whether short/long course), has really changed my opinion. 

MacNeil is the favourite at this point but her win in Tokyo wasn't exactly dominant.

On 12/28/2022 at 10:34 PM, dullard said:

MacNeil is the favourite at this point but her win in Tokyo wasn't exactly dominant.

I mean you’re not wrong. I’m not saying it won’t be close, but in the last few years Maggie has won gold at the 2021 & 2022 short course world championships, while also winning gold at the 2019 long course world championships (Chose not to defend her title in 2022), all while being the reining Olympic champion. 

• 6 months later...

Bumping this thread because it's one year from the Games and I missed this discussion in December last year.

:HUN is kinda fucked, if the Games would be this year, my prediction would be 3 gold medals at best and overall 12 medals, which would be a huge downgrade after 3 successful Games in a row.

Obviously IF Milák returns and IF he can still dominate 200 fly, that would be the biggest gold chance for Hungary. But for now I wouldn't include him because nobody knows if he ever comes back.

So currently the Top5 gold medal chances are....

#1 Canoe Sprint - Men's K1 1000m - By far our strongest event at the moment with both Kopasz and Varga looking strong, they can repeat the 1-2 Hungarian finish of Tokyo in Paris

#2 Canoe Sprint - Men's K2 500m - The Nádas+Kopasz boat looked amazing last year. They won't return this year because of how the qualification system set up, but I am sure that we will see them again in K2 in Paris

#3 Taekwondo - Women's 57kg - Luana Márton had a major breakthrough this year. One WCh gold can be a fluke, but she also had the EG silver after that. And I expect her to become even better.

#4 Fencing - Men's epee team - Out of all the fencing events, I feel like this is the biggest clusterfuck where we can rise to the top and this team is incredibly talented. But obviously we got many chances in fencing, hopefully we can turn one of those into a gold.

#5 Water polo - Men's - We are one of the four or five teams at the moment who can win it. There doesn't seem to be a clear favorite, should be an interesting tournament.

:BRA

Rayssa Leal - Skateboarding

Alison dos Santos - 400m/h

Anyone of the male surfers

Isaquias Queiroz - Sprint Canoeing

Mens football team

Kahena Kunzee and Martine Grael - Sailing

Duda and Ana Patrícia - Beach Volley

Rebecca Andrade - Gymnastics

I think all of them gonna win medals in Paris, there are many others among The favourites but these ones are a level above The rest in my opinion.

Oops, just now i've read GOLD medalists, Alison dos Santos is favourite for the Silver haha

On 12/4/2022 at 6:56 PM, CCB said:

Netherlands :NED has a lot of medal contenders, but unfortunately not many clear favourites for gold. 

Well, my top 5:

1. Rowing: women single sculls (Karolien Florijn)

2. Hockey: women's team

3. Hockey: men's team

4. BMX: women's race (Merel Smulders)

5. Swimming: women's 200 breaststroke (Tes Schouten) 

I predict a lot of silver and bronze, especially for our superstars in athletics (Femke Bol, who is without a chance against Sydney McLaughlin), in cycling track (Harrie Lavreysen will be without a chance against Mikhail Jakovlev) and in swimming (Arno Kamminga is without a chance against Adam Peaty). 

Well, a year later my predictions for the 5 biggest chances for a gold are:

1. Rowing women single sculls: Karolien Florijn

3. Mountainbike women: Puck Pieterse

4. Sailing 49er FX: Odile van Aanholt en Annette Duetz

5. 10k women: Sifan Hassan

In compare to my previous list no more Tes Schouten. Although she is ranked 4th in the world, :RUS Chikunova will win this event for sure. Also no men's hockey team; I expect :GER , :AUS and :BEL stronger at the moment.

Edited by CCB

:CAN

1. Summer McIntosh - Women's 400m Individual Medley

2. Summer McIntosh - Women's 400m Freestyle

3. Summer McIntosh - Women's 200m Individual Medley

4. Summer McIntosh - Women's 200m Butterfly

5. Summer McIntosh - Women's 200m Freestyle

:p

1 hour ago, CCB said:

Well, a year later my predictions for the 5 biggest chances for a gold are:

1. Rowing women single sculls: Karolien Florijn

3. Mountainbike women: Puck Pieterse

4. Sailing 49er FX: Odile van Aanholt en Annette Duetz

5. 10k women: Sifan Hassan

In compare to my previous list no more Tes Schouten. Although she is ranked 4th in the world, :RUS Chikunova will win this event for sure. Also no men's hockey team; I expect :GER , :AUS and :BEL stronger at the moment.

I am not an expert of dutch sport, but how do you not mention track cycling men's (team) sprint?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, LuizGuilherme said:

:BRA

Rayssa Leal - Skateboarding

Alison dos Santos - 400m/h

Anyone of the male surfers

Isaquias Queiroz - Sprint Canoeing

Mens football team

Kahena Kunzee and Martine Grael - Sailing

Duda and Ana Patrícia - Beach Volley

Rebecca Andrade - Gymnastics

I think all of them gonna win medals in Paris, there are many others among The favourites but these ones are a level above The rest in my opinion.

Oops, just now i've read GOLD medalists, Alison dos Santos is favourite for the Silver haha

I agree, I would only add Beatriz (boxing) and anyone at the men's park, a little below those, but a real gold chance.

Obviously it is impossible to make predictions one year out, but i will still give my predictions and it might be funny to look back at them in a year:

Men's 10 km open water (Wellbrock)

Women's 10 km open water (Beck)

Track cycling women's team sprint

Women's K1 (Funk)

Not sure about the 5th, probably one out of men's single sculls (Zeidler), women's track cycling sprint (Friedrich), eventing individual (Jung), dressage individual (Von Bredow-Werndl), men's 1500 m free (Wellbrock), men's K4 500 m, women's keirin (Friedrich), women's C1 (Herzog/Lilik), eventing team, dressage team, men's 400 m free (Märtens), men's field hockey, men's javelin throw (Weber), men's decathlon (Neugebauer), women's 25 m pistol (Vennekamp) or men's 25 m rapid fire pistol (Peter/Reitz).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.