website statistics

European Games 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

So it should stay at World Games. If IOC thinks the future of Olympics is breakdance and e-sports then we might as well expect nordic walking too. Or maybe chess? Hell, maybe poker should be considered an Olympic sport too? :p

well, maybe they will never get the Olympic status, but Cards and Billiards are fully recognized "Sports" (and surely they are closer to being true sports than breakdance, artistic swimming, rhythmic + trampoline gymnastics and things like that).

so, one day they might actually become Olympic sports.

p.s. for what counts (so, nothing at all), I don't think Cards games should be considered full sports, meanwhile Billiards are another story.

2 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

I watched surfing in Tokyo. It was terrible. Unwatchable, actually. IMO, at least.

Surf is perfect for a delayed summary, live broadcasts have too many empty moments, especially in the decisive rounds, when the available time is longer than in the prelims.

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

Honestly, anything out on open waters is kinda unwatchable. Sailing, surfing, open water swimming. They obviously have legit reasons to be included as they are popular sport activities, but it's not good TV. 

I don't agree.

if (and it's a big if) the broadcasting director has a good experience and knows the subject quite well, open water swimming is quite enjoyable.

sailing can also be very spectacular, but it's necessary the help of a lot of modern technology (and once again, a very experienced director and a good type of boats, capable of sailing at high speed with reasonably strong wind).

for surfing, see above.

that's just my opinion, of course. I'm not the owner of the truth.

@phelpsI presume billards isn't progressive enough to appeal to the mythical "urban sports" standard. After all those 15 year breakdancers wouldn't even be allowed into your local pub which billard is still stronly associated with. Same "problem" why darts won't become an Olympic sport anytime soon. The big trio of "pub sports" - cards, billard & darts i.e. associated with alcohol & tobacco smoking. Nope, not your IOC urban standard :lol:

@phelpsIOC shrunk the 470 class into mixed only and you want them to stay progressive? It's mind-blowing how they butchered the programme and want to promote surfing which is highlights sport only. Most people have no clue about the surfing style points and you are stuck waiting 20 mins for a single wave. Ideal sport to go to the toilet or cook a meal and still nothing happens on the screen in the mean time :lol:

6 minutes ago, phelps said:

Surf is perfect for a delayed summary, live broadcasts have too many empty moments, especially in the decisive rounds, when the available time is longer than in the prelims.

I noticed empty space in Tokyo while broadcasting. Only interesting thing was huge waves. I mean, reeeeealy huge. 

Plus, only thing i remember from Tokyo. :)

No doubt that with good director and editing, some condensed summary could turn interesting. In Tokyo, that wasnt the case. 

I don't know why there's so much people against alcohol? :mumble: :dunno:

there are so many alcoholic things that are so good...for instance, I just drank for dinner such a good wine (Grecanico, white Sicilian, for those who know...and for those who don't know, just try...I'm sure you'll appreciate a lot, especially with vegetarian and/or fish related dishes) and I also just had a good Whiskey "on the rocks" to end my evening "in style" :d :toast:

2 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

I noticed empty space in Tokyo while broadcasting. Only interesting thing was huge waves. I mean, reeeeealy huge. 

Plus, only thing i remember from Tokyo. :)

No doubt that with good director and editing, some condensed summary could turn interesting. In Tokyo, that wasnt the case. 

the WSL has extended highlights for free on their App.

you can try that...it's not that bad.

watching a full heat live instead can be really boring.

like @Monzanator wrote, sometimes you can go to the toilet or cook a meal while nothing happens in the meantime. :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

the WSL has extended highlights for free on their App.

you can try that...it's not that bad.

watching a full heat live instead can be really boring.

like @Monzanator wrote, sometimes you can go to the toilet or cook a meal while nothing happens in the meantime. :facepalm:

Thanks for the suggestion, i will certainly try that. Didnt even check their site in a while.

It wont be my priority next year but i will watch surfing delayed or something like that. 

25 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

@phelpsI presume billards isn't progressive enough to appeal to the mythical "urban sports" standard. After all those 15 year breakdancers wouldn't even be allowed into your local pub which billard is still stronly associated with. Same "problem" why darts won't become an Olympic sport anytime soon. The big trio of "pub sports" - cards, billard & darts i.e. associated with alcohol & tobacco smoking. Nope, not your IOC urban standard :lol:

Just going to throw this out there…

There are only 4 out 32 b-boys and b-girls under the age of 20 entered into this competition. Most were born on the 90s, and even some in the late 80s.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela