website statistics

Athletics IAAF Diamond League 2019

Totallympics

Nice time for the german women in the 4 x 100 m relay. Replace Kwadwo with Mihambo and you get a 41.9 seconds relay. Sadly Müller and Mayer are injured otherwise one of them would replace Kwayie and this would be a 41.7 or 41.6 relay.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

What a nice cringy podium :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Really disappointed that Klosterhalfen couldn't break the german national record. I think this again shows that she should focus on the 5000 m in Doha and the 5000 m/10000 m double in Tokyo. She just doesn't have the speed to beat Hassan, Houlihan, Kipyegon or Muir.

Disappointed by 3:59 min, beating Genzebe Dibaba? :D The current national record of 3:57,7 min is a pretty high mark and everything must fit perfectly to beat this. Don't forget she's just 22, she will get (presumely) all national records between 1500m and 10000m in the next years. Don't know if you saw the race tonight but there was a bit of a slow down at about 1000 metres when anybody refused to make the pace. Without this, maybe the record would have already been broken.

8 hours ago, LowerSaxony said:

Disappointed by 3:59 min, beating Genzebe Dibaba? :D The current national record of 3:57,7 min is a pretty high mark and everything must fit perfectly to beat this. Don't forget she's just 22, she will get (presumely) all national records between 1500m and 10000m in the next years. Don't know if you saw the race tonight but there was a bit of a slow down at about 1000 metres when anybody refused to make the pace. Without this, maybe the record would have already been broken.

Yes, when she improves her 3000 m time by 10 seconds and her 5000 m time by 25 seconds, then it is normal to be disappointed that she doesn’t improve on her favorite distance at all. The time is not the main reason I am disappointed, it is the fact that Hassan was more than 2 seconds faster on the last lap. Hassan is a great 1500 m runner, but girls like Muir, Kipyegon, Houlihan or Simpson (normally) have an even better kick than her, so when Hassan can outkick Klosterhalfen that easily, it is very hard to imagine Klosterhalfen winning a medal in the 1500 m. She undoubtedly made progress concerning her closing speed, but in my opinion she is still far worse than the girls I mentioned above and honestly I don’t see her ever reaching their level (given her very slim build, which is a clear difference compared to Muir, Kipyegon or Houlihan for example). In my opinion just by looking at her body you can tell that she is more suited for longer distances and she should focus on the 5000 m for Doha. I really don’t get why anyone thinks that she should pick the 1500 m over the 5000 m. If you look at Mo Farah‘s personal bests for example, his 1500 m PB is probably his best time, but there is a reason why he still always focused on the longer distances ... it is easier to do the 5000 m + 10000 m double and in order to be successful in the 1500 m you need a very good 400/600 m closing speed, something that neither Klosterhalfen nor Farah have/had.

Edit: How is her beating Dibaba in one race a „proof“ for anything?

1) Apparently Dibaba is injured

2) Dibaba isn‘t in her 2015/2016 shape anymore

3) Hanna Klein beat Dibaba at the 2017 world championships ... does that make her the better runner? Also someone like Simpson, who almost always medals at big events, looked completely helpless yesterday ... does this mean that she has worse medal chances this year than all the girls that finished ahead of her yesterday?

Another topic: I really hope that one day we will see the best German women’s 4 x 100 m relay. Pinto + Lückenkemper + Mayer + Mihambo would be a crazy relay, that could definitely run 41.5 seconds. Sadly I don’t see this ever happening, but I hope that ...

a) Pinto will be in the same shape next year

b) Lückenkemper will be in her 2017/2018 shape next year or even improve on it

c) Mihambo will keep her shape next year and be part of the relay

d) Müller gets fit soon and reaches her form from the early part of this season again next year

Under those circumstances a quartet of

Mihambo-Pinto-Müller-Lückenkemper should be able to run 41.7 or so and I am not sure that GB or the US (given their lack of world class girls this year) will be able to match that. I think with this golden generation it would be a real shame if Germany wouldn’t be able to win a medal at a global competition, there is just too much talent there.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

10 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Yes, when she improves her 3000 m time by 10 seconds and her 5000 m time by 25 seconds, then it is normal to be disappointed that she doesn’t improve on her favorite distance at all.

Well, that depends on where you come from. She already had a very good PB over 1500 metres from 2017, while her best over 5000 metres prior to this season was 14:51min (which is still very good, but with much more potential to improve). Moreover, the shorter the distance, the more it depends on a perfect race (pace makers, weather, opponents etc.). As I said, there was a short phase in the race when the speed was clearly decelerated - without that, at least 1 or 2 secs would have been possible.

Above this, I agree on her chances over 1500/5000 metres. Hopefully, she comes to an arrangement with Hassan and starts in that event which Hassan doesn't attend ;-) But, yes, she should have better chances over 5000 metres to get a medal. I'd be more than amazed over a medal of any color.

2 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Yes, very weak. Only 3 athletes with a shot over 22m, what shame! :p

And the likes of Lyles and Fraser-Pryce and Taylor and Claye, booooo. Terrible!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

yx1aORm.png

Wimbley went off with apparently a hamstring injury, it took some time before she was moved off the track. Sounds like Doha's over for her.