website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

4 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Hmm, this is surprising. Usually there is a rule, that the referee has to be from a different confederation then the two teams, unless both teams are from the same confederation. Guess they have made an exception this time, as it is an important match and don't want to risk with an African/Asian refs :d

I remember the same in 2006 between Argentina and Germany with a slovakian referee..........a very few times in my life i see a partial referee like that, ven Tevez "make a foul" to Odonkor without physical contact.

Was that penalty correct in POR/URU match ? really surprised Faghani called it a penalty. he is usually good in these kind of calls.

even if FIFA claims that's a penalty per rules, that's nonsense to me, players can't cut their arms when they are falling on the ground.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

Was that penalty correct in POR/URU match ? really surprised Faghani called it a penalty. he is usually good in these kind of calls.

even if FIFA claims that's a penalty per rules, that's nonsense to me, players can't cut their arms when they are falling on the ground.

Not according to an expert here. One could argue the defender takes a risk and knows he can stop the ball with that play, but the the rule seems to suggest it shouldn't be a penalty.

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

As the expert here said "Technically it's a penalty because he wasn't using his arm to support himself yet, but he was very obviously falling and going to use that arm to break his fall and so support himself."

In other words, insanely technically speaking, it could be a penalty (since he was like 0,5 seconds away from actually supporting himself on that arm, he hadn't fallen far enough yet), but it's basically nonsense to really give it.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

So who is going home after today?

In Group A we already know that Qatar are out and I think Senegal might be joining them.

In Group B I think we will be saying goodbye to Wales and USA.

I am confident at least 2 of those are right (and I am including Qatar as one of those 2) :d 

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

So who is going home after today?

In Group A we already know that Qatar are out and I think Senegal might be joining them.

In Group B I think we will be saying goodbye to Wales and USA.

I am confident at least 2 of those are right (and I am including Qatar as one of those 2) :d 

I think Senegal, Ecuador, Iran and England can prepare for the knockout round after today.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

43 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I think Senegal, Ecuador, Iran and England can prepare for the knockout round after today.

So you think Netherlands won’t beat Qatar? Or is there some other cryptic clue to be deciphered from your post? :d 

Edited by OlympicIRL

3 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

So you think Netherlands won’t beat Qatar? Or is there some other cryptic clue to be deciphered from your post? :d 

If they play the way they played against Ecuador in specifically the second half, I have no idea how the Netherlands can avoid losing to Qatar. Not joking, we've had two full rounds of group play and I still have not seen a single team play as awful for a full half as the Dutch second half against Ecuador.

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

If they play the way they played against Ecuador in specifically the second half, I have no idea how the Netherlands can avoid losing to Qatar. Not joking, we've had two full rounds of group play and I still have not seen a single team play as awful for a full half as the Dutch second half against Ecuador.

Well they can probably afford to have a terrible half and still win comfortably :d