website statistics

Biathlon IBU Junior & Youth World Championships 2019

Totallympics

It sure is tough to lose by 1 second, especially if you shoot 0+4, while the winner shoots 1+9, but in the end it's another sign for the improved depth of Germany at this level. It has to be mentioned though that Germany had two guys born in 1998 and two guys born in 1999, while Russia had two guys born in 1998 and two guys born in 1997, so on average the german relay was 1 whole year younger, which is a lot at this level in my opinion. All the german guys will be able to compete again next year, so with a normal development they should be the clear cut favorites next year.

Quite surprising for me that neither France nor Norway made the podium.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Werloc:

So, since we sparked the discussion, I thought I would look this up for funsies:

How many junior category medalists we actually lost in Biathlon since 2009/10 season

Yann Guigonnet (France) - individual gold (quit in 2015)

Michael Galassi (Italy) - individual silver (quit in 2013)

Tom Barth (Germany) - individual bronze, sprint bronze (quit in 2013)

Reka Forika (Romania) - individual gold (quit in 2016)

Leslie Mercier (France) - individual bronze) (quit in 2011)

Evgeny Petrov (Russia) - sprint gold, pursuit bronze (quit in 2011)

Manuel Muller (Germany) - sprint silver, pursuit gold (quit in 2011)

Sophie Boilley (France) - sprint silver, pursuit gold (quit in 2015)

Vladimir Alenishko (Russia) - pursuit silver (quit in 2014)

Nastassia Kalina (Russia) - pursuit silver (quit in 2015)

Aleksandra Alikina (Russia) - sprint silver, pursuit silver (quit in 2013)

Tom Barth (Germany) - sprint gold, pursuit bronze (quit in 2013)

Ludwig Ehrhart (France) - sprint bronze, pursuit silver (quit in 2012)

Nikolay Yakushov (Russia) - individual bronze (quit in 2012)

Florie Vigneron (France) - individual bronze (quit in 2011)

Elena Badanina (Russia) - individual bronze (quit in 2013)

Kurtis Wenzel (Canada) - individual gold (quit in 2013)

Marius Hol (Norway) - individual silver (quit in 2012)

Elena Ankudinova (Russia) - sprint gold (quit in 2015)

Dino Butkovic (Croatia) - individual silver (quit in 2014)

Jarle Gjoerven (Norway) - pursuit silver (quit in 2014)

Dany Chavoutier (France) - individual bronze (quit in 2014)

Aleksandr Dediukhin (Russia) - individual silver, sprint gold (quit in 2015)

Vemund Gurigard (Norway) - individual bronze, sprint silver (quit in 2015)

Lena Arnaud (France) - sprint gold (quit in 2018)

Susanna Kurzthaler (Austria) - individual gold (quit in 2016)

Andrea Baretto (Italy) - individual silver (quit in 2017)

Nikita Lobastov (Russia) - individual bronze (quit in 2018)

Kirill Streltsov (Russia) - sprint silver (quit in 2018)

Sturla Laegreid (Norway) - individual silver (quit in 2018)

Sverre Aspenes (Norway) - sprint bronze, pursuit gold (quit in 2018)

A lot of these cases, the juniors dropped the sport mostly after the junior championships, some of them trying a couple of IBU races. A lot of Russians and Norwegians, I think some might have quit since it's very hard making the team and most of others left the sport, because it was their hobby and they did not want that as a career after university. Lastly, a lot of them are medalists from the individual race. Sidenote: Tom Barth looked like he had a lot of potential.

I think biathlon is one of the sports where the age of breakthrough is the highest (especially on the men's side), alongside bob, luge, equestrian, triathlon and a couple of other sports. Therefore i am not too surprised that there are fewer athletes than in most other sports that can translate their success at junior level to the senior level.

All of this makes you realize how special a talent J. Boe is/was, i am not sure whether we have ever seen a talent like him before in this sport.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

8 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think biathlong is one of the sports where the age of breakthrough is the highest (especially on the men's side), alongside bob, luge, equestrian, triathlon and a couple of other sports. Therefore i am not too surprised that there are fewer athletes than in most other sports that can translate their success at junior level to the senior level.

All of this makes you realize how special a talent J. Boe is/was, i am not sure whether we have ever seen a talent like him before in this sport.

Well, I think Dahlmeier is also a major talent, although she's being held back by a lot of illnesses.

On the men's side, it's difficult to make a breakthrough when there's only the bronze spot on the podium left for endless amount of years :d It's nearly two years since a German male biathlete had a victory, the last one in March 2017 by Peiffer, when both Fourcade and Boe missed the podium. (Just in case, I decided to not count Olympics in, since it's not considered world cup status)

Edited by Werloc

Gerade eben schrieb Werloc:

Well, I think Dahlmeier is also a major talent, although she's being held back by a lot of illnesses.

On the men's side, it's difficult to make a breakthrough when there's only the bronze spot on the podium left for endless amount of years :d It's nearly two years since a German male biathlete had a victory, the last one in March by Peiffer, when both Fourcade and Boe missed the podium.

Dahlmeier is the best female talent we have seen in a long time (probably since Neuner), but she is not on the level of Boe. I am bit confused by your other point though, didn't Peiffer win gold at the olympics in 2018?

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

Dahlmeier is the best female talent we have seen in a long time (probably since Neuner), but she is not on the level of Boe. I am bit confused by your other point though, didn't Peiffer win gold at the olympics in 2018?

Yeah, I edited later to mention that I am not counting Olympics, since it's not a World Cup affair.