website statistics

Women's Field Hockey EHF European Championship 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

2 hours ago, LDOG said:

Yes, though also GB is usually stronger than England. I don't know if it's the welsh players or a better preparation but the trend of the last decade is that they show up at the olympics after doing nothing for the other 3 years and 11 months.  

GB are best of the rest and a bit of a wild card. They only compete as GB in the fourth year of each Olympic cycle so we'll get a better idea over the next twelve months. I still doubt that they'll medal this time but if they qualify and reach the semis who knows.

No surprise, :NED and :BEL will play the final on Saturday. The two best teams of Europe for sure. Final will be a though battle, last times Netherlands scored 'only' 1 or 2 goals against Belgium. The Belgian team becomes better and better.

8 minutes ago, CCB said:

No surprise, :NED and :BEL will play the final on Saturday. The two best teams of Europe for sure. Final will be a though battle, last times Netherlands scored 'only' 1 or 2 goals against Belgium. The Belgian team becomes better and better.

Interestingly enough, the NED coach doesn't agree to this opinion: 

Ook België maakte in de onderlinge confrontatie in de poulefase (2-0 winst) geen indruk op hem. ‘Het wordt Duitsland dat naar de finale gaat. Dat verwacht ik tenminste. Ik moet het nog maar zien met België. Ik vind dat België te veel omhoog wordt geschreven. Hun spelbeeld tegen ons is telkens hetzelfde: heel lang tegenhouden. Meer doen ze niet.’

Zijn mening over België kan nog wel veranderen als de ploeg van Raoul Ehren in de halve finale van Duitsland wint. ‘Maar dan moet ik nog wel even kijken op welke manier ze dat doen. Of ze dan echt van Duitsland winnen, of dat Duitsland van zichzelf verliest. Laat ze eerst maar eens van Duitsland winnen op een manier waar ik mijn pet voor afneem. En dan moeten ze dat type spel ook nog tegen ons durven te spelen. Pas dan kan het een interessante wedstrijd worden. Maar als ze weer achteroverleunen en dus doen wat ze altijd tegen ons doen? Dan wordt het weer 2-0 voor ons.’

https://hockey.nl/nieuws/oranje/volgens-paul-van-ass-snakt-oranje-een-beetje-naar-concurrentie/

That last part I highlighted is more or less what I said before: a lot of match-ups have become very predictable.

2 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Ook België maakte in de onderlinge confrontatie in de poulefase (2-0 winst) geen indruk op hem. ‘Het wordt Duitsland dat naar de finale gaat. Dat verwacht ik tenminste. Ik moet het nog maar zien met België. Ik vind dat België te veel omhoog wordt geschreven. Hun spelbeeld tegen ons is telkens hetzelfde: heel lang tegenhouden. Meer doen ze niet.’

Zijn mening over België kan nog wel veranderen als de ploeg van Raoul Ehren in de halve finale van Duitsland wint. ‘Maar dan moet ik nog wel even kijken op welke manier ze dat doen. Of ze dan echt van Duitsland winnen, of dat Duitsland van zichzelf verliest. Laat ze eerst maar eens van Duitsland winnen op een manier waar ik mijn pet voor afneem. En dan moeten ze dat type spel ook nog tegen ons durven te spelen. Pas dan kan het een interessante wedstrijd worden. Maar als ze weer achteroverleunen en dus doen wat ze altijd tegen ons doen? Dan wordt het weer 2-0 voor ons.’

https://hockey.nl/nieuws/oranje/volgens-paul-van-ass-snakt-oranje-een-beetje-naar-concurrentie/

That last part I highlighted is more or less what I said before: a lot of match-ups have become very predictable.

I would tend to agree with the Dutch coach - on the men's side, Belgium are absolutely best in Europe but on the women's side, Netherlands and Germany have been head and shoulders above the rest. Although Belgium have steadily been improving, I was expecting the final to be Netherlands against Germany. 

1 minute ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I would tend to agree with the Dutch coach - on the men's side, Belgium are absolutely best in Europe but on the women's side, Netherlands and Germany have been head and shoulders above the rest. Although Belgium have steadily been improving, I was expecting the final to be Netherlands against Germany. 

I don't know who is the "best" or "better" because it depends on what parameter you use but I think there are only two teams that seriously attempt to have initiative when playing the dutch team: :GER & :ARG. Doesn't mean that makes them better than the rest, :AUS & :BEL are just as likely to win but with a different approach.

23 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Our coach is apparently not impressed by Belgium. I'm not surprised at all. He always is a little arrogant. 

Belgium is so good because they found the right way to play against the Netherlands. It is certainly not attractive. I like the way of playing of Germany and Argentina much more.

Disappointing result for Germany and also unlucky (Stapenhorst hitting the post). Nonsense to say that Belgium is clearly better than Germany, i guess to say something like that you have to have a lot of antipathy for Germany. Sadly the german group was super weak, so they weren't really prepared for today.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.