website statistics

Canada's 2024 Olympics Qualification Discussion Road to Paris 2024

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

One of the worst days of the Olympic qualification period from my perspective…

Not even a full team in men’s and women’s sprint would make up for this disaster. I’m done. 

BTW, although Xu/Xu and Chiu/Gai were ahead of the Canadian pairs in the Olympic Ranking heading into this event that’s pretty much due to the fact that they were competing at most of the BWF events on the calendar unlike the Canadians (Their athletes probably have more funding than ours I’m assuming). They’d lose early most of the time, but occasionally they’d make it past a couple of rounds. Also can I just mention that we won all four gold medals last year. That tells you all you need to know…

I believe Choi was nursing an injury 

I rather save the quotas, lets be realistic, the pairs teams would probably go 0-3 each. The only chance of anything is Yang/Li

10 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I believe Choi was nursing an injury 

I rather save the quotas, lets be realistic, the pairs teams would probably go 0-3 each. The only chance of anything is Yang/Li

Wdym save the quotas lol. Not getting quotas here doesn’t mean we’ll get extra unexpected quotas elsewhere. And even if they probably aren’t going to get a result at the Olympics, I’d still want them to qualify and add to the Team Canada total.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Wdym save the quotas lol. Not getting quotas here doesn’t mean we’ll get extra unexpected quotas elsewhere. And even if they probably aren’t going to get a result at the Olympics, I’d still want them to qualify and add to the Team Canada total.

Canadian sport is in a financial crisis. Right now sending those who can do well is what should be the primary focus.

FYI, after the Olympic qualification period is over (so sometime in late June/early July) I’ll be doing a sport by sport overview for Team Canada, listing surprises, expectations, and disappointments in each. (some sports don’t have surprises/expectations, but the majority do)

1 hour ago, Josh said:

FYI, after the Olympic qualification period is over (so sometime in late June/early July) I’ll be doing a sport by sport overview for Team Canada, listing surprises, expectations, and disappointments in each. (some sports don’t have surprises/expectations, but the majority do)

Always look forward to your analysis, Josh. I try to keep up with as much as I can, but there's a lot out there. 

Tokyo was a bit of a crapshoot coming out of (or maybe still going through) Covid, but I feel good about Canada's medal chances in Paris. At least Canadians should be in the mix in a range of sports. 

Canadian men’s volleyball Olympic wide roster of 18 has been announced.

Liberos

Landon Currie

Justin Lui

Outside Hitters

Ryley Barnes

Samuel Cooper

Nicholas Hoag (hopefully Sammelvuo doesn’t select him lol, nothing against him but there’s much more deserving names that deserve a Paris spot over him, he isn’t as good as he was a couple of years ago)

Brodie Hofer

Eric Loeppky

Stephen Maar

Setters

Luke Herr

Brett Walsh

Middle Blockers

Danny Demyanenko

Pearson Eshenko

Jackson Howe

Fynn McCarthy

Jordan Schnitzer

Lucas Van Berkel

Opposites

Xander Ketrzynski

Arthur Szwarc

Was hoping Gord Perrin would unretire from the NT, and Ryan Sclater would sort his disputes with Sammelvuo but nope. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5qipwAOzcD/?igsh=bHdhazd4dWkzMmg5

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

Curious about this?

Not exactly sure if it’s correct actually, my information is according to a user on VolleyTalk (a Volleyball forum) but it does seem a bit strange why he hasn’t been on any Canadian rosters lately. 

Can’t seem to find the link to the post again, as I found this information out months ago, but basically Sammelvuo scheduled a training block out of nowhere, and at the same time Sclater had a trip booked with his family and they got into a whole argument about it. He decided to go on the trip, and that was the end for him. 

He was left off the roster for Olympic Qualifiers/Olympics, while clearly being one of the best players on the Canadian team, and he hasn’t been suffering injuries lately (playing with Jastrzębski Węgiel in the Polish league during the club season) so I can’t seem to think of any other reasons why he’s been left off the team. 

Edited by Josh