website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Championships 2022

Totallympics

there is one terrible rule in Greco-Roman wrestling and this is creating lots of problems recently.

since 2021 there is no point for the 3rd caution which means lots of matches can end up 1-1 (caution for each one and no technical point) in this case whoever is active in the first period (and most probably the entire match) will lose the match because he received the 2nd caution (and therefore the last point for his opponent which is the tiebreaking criteria) it means the better wrestler will be penalized for being better ! :facepalm:

I believe it started with Viktor Nemes who was intentionally passive in the first period (in some of 2021 tournaments) to receive the 1st caution. now lots of wrestlers follow the same tactic (as plan B in case nobody scores and the match ends up 1-1) we won't notice that if one wrestler is passive intentionally but what if both of them are very passive?! that's something like those badminton matches in 2012 London Olympics.

it happened a lot yesterday and today, even UWW official had to stop one match and use the loud speaker to warn both wrestlers (HUN/BUL 77kg) to do something otherwise he will disqualify both of them. I saw that also some other times when the center referee (or mat chairman) warn them for possible disqualification. (the last one was ITA/GEO 87kg bronze medal match)

lots of wrestlers won undeserved World and Olympic medals with the same tactic, you can see lots of 1-1 results in heavier weights in Greco-Roman. I can see UWW officials now realized what a terrible mistake they did with this rule change. I hope they fix it soon. it's time to change the tiebreaking criteria in case of 1-1 score.

20 hours ago, MHSN said:

:DEN Turpal Bisultanov :hyper::bowdown: maybe this guy is the next big thing in Greco wrestling.

he destroyed everybody here without mercy. some of the better guys lost to each other in the other side of the draw and he didn't face them on his way to the gold but I really believe all of them would have the same fate against him. he lost the Euro U23 final few weeks ago but I can see he is improving tournament by tournament. with Beleniuk out of the picture (probably retired) I believe Bisultanov is #1 in the world right now.

still to prove that I would like to see him against likes of Datunashvili, Maskevich, Abbasov and those Russian guys. he is Russian himself but I think he mostly grew up in Denmark.

The family fled to Denmark when he was 6, so yeah, pretty much Danish raised. But yet to become Danish citizen. I read somewhere that he is up for one of the required tests this summer meaning it should be possible to become citizen withing a year or so (In fine time for Olympic qualification unlike his big brother who sadly couldn't qualify for Tokyo)

10 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

How come you guys finished 3rd, the team looked strong on paper

Subpar results always seem to happen. Nikolova losing the final was a big blow. Selishka while not a clear favourite had still a 50-50 chance, but lost another final yet again. I think this is her third lost Euro final... Georgieva in a category with only 6 people didn't even manage to get a bronze. Then you have Belberova at 53, who i've lost count on how many big Championships has competed in and never manages to win a single match.

17 hours ago, Agger said:

The family fled to Denmark when he was 6, so yeah, pretty much Danish raised. But yet to become Danish citizen. I read somewhere that he is up for one of the required tests this summer meaning it should be possible to become citizen withing a year or so (In fine time for Olympic qualification unlike his big brother who sadly couldn't qualify for Tokyo)

I see , so that was the reason why Rajbek didn't wrestle in any of the Olympic qualifiers, (he wrestled at a non-Olympic weight in 2019 Worlds) he was good but still not even half good as his younger brother, not even close

Turpal is an Olympic medal prospect, and I know it's too early but as someone who follows this sport VERY closely I can say He is Olympic champion material and can win several world titles. (specially if he doesn't gain weight and stays at this 87kg weight, going to 97kg is another story)

interestingly in wrestling you can participate for a country and under its flag without being a citizen. I wonder how many other sports have the same rule. :mumble:

18 hours ago, rybak said:

Poland didnt participate here? I didnt hear any news about this event in our media :mumble:

sure they were on the mats...

Poland won 4 bronze medals in men's Freestyle wrestling and 1 silver and 4 bronze medals among the women...so, a grand total of 9 medals (0-1-8)...

unfortunately, they missed out on the medals in the Greco-Roman events...

5 hours ago, MHSN said:

I see , so that was the reason why Rajbek didn't wrestle in any of the Olympic qualifiers, (he wrestled at a non-Olympic weight in 2019 Worlds) he was good but still not even half good as his younger brother, not even close

Turpal is an Olympic medal prospect, and I know it's too early but as someone who follows this sport VERY closely I can say He is Olympic champion material and can win several world titles. (specially if he doesn't gain weight and stays at this 87kg weight, going to 97kg is another story)

interestingly in wrestling you can participate for a country and under its flag without being a citizen. I wonder how many other sports have the same rule. :mumble:

Believe me, we have had high hopes for those two and felt damn sad when Rajbek didn't make it. They're in much better time now it seems.

I have no idea about how it is, but I know that figure skating has some way as well as we had Nikolaj Sørensen and Laurence Fournier Beaudry participating under the Danish flag eveen though Laurence was Canadian (and well, now they both are).

I do find it rather odd myself.