website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Championships 2022

Totallympics

Ukraine's men's freestyle team is not participating, another reason ruining the level of the freestyle competition :(

but the UWW commentator guy just said that UKR's women's FS and the Greco team will participate which is a good news at least. I hope they are in good shape too which is unlikely considering the tragedy in their country but still it's good to see them here.

On 3/12/2022 at 9:59 PM, Makedonas said:

Gold for Kougioumtsidis at the European U23 Championships! :GRE:clap:

and he is in the Senior European Champs final too. :yes

have to say he is really impressive and at least in my opinion he won't be the underdog tomorrow in the final.

6 hours ago, MHSN said:

and he is in the Senior European Champs final too. :yes

have to say he is really impressive and at least in my opinion he won't be the underdog tomorrow in the final.

Yeah it's great, with Pilidis, Kougioumtsidis and Khosonov, Greek wrestling could have a nice future :)

13 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Yeah it's great, with Pilidis, Kougioumtsidis and Khosonov, Greek wrestling could have a nice future :)

I wouldn't put Khosonov in the same league as those 2 . Pilidis and Kougioumtsidis are in another level and between these 2 I believe Kougioumtsidis has a better chance to win World level medals in his career. his name is hard to remember, I mostly know him as the Greek guy with tough name :d

btw in the first day 9 of 10 finalists are from former Soviet countries (or Russian representing another country) the only exception is Kougioumtsidis. well done :yes

Russia won 3 gold medals despite not even being here !

we had some interesting finals. Kougioumtsidis (I have to copy/paste his name each time :d) almost gave up his gold medal in last 50 seconds but somehow survived Ashirov's last attack.

but I think Musukaev/Aliev was match of the day, Musukaev was always great technically, his problem was his gas tank and looks like he found a solution for that weakness. he looked scary here.

looking forward for Akgul/Petriashvili final tomorrow but I have to say Geno looked much weaker here, he almost lost to Robert Baran in the SF, won the match only 2-1 only by cautions.

14 hours ago, MHSN said:

I wouldn't put Khosonov in the same league as those 2 . Pilidis and Kougioumtsidis are in another level and between these 2 I believe Kougioumtsidis has a better chance to win World level medals in his career. his name is hard to remember, I mostly know him as the Greek guy with tough name :d

btw in the first day 9 of 10 finalists are from former Soviet countries (or Russian representing another country) the only exception is Kougioumtsidis. well done :yes

Thanks for this analysis, I really appreciate it. I honestly didn't even know who Khosonov won until he won silver last year at the World U23s. His name obviously isn't Greek so I'm curious about him. We aren't the type of country that likes to naturalize athletes either so he must live in Greece or have some connections.

I was reading about Kougioumtsidis, apparently he his uncle was a former wrestler who competed in multiple World Championships for Greece.

Also we are not sure what will happen with Pilidis, he said he wants to win a medal at the 2024 Olympics (he's been in the media a lot now ever since his appearance on Survivor), but he also has a very bad relationship with the federation (he said on the show that he was asked once to fix a European final and that caused controversy). He also said that his mother had to sell all of her jewelry to afford to send him to competitions. Honestly I haven't kept up with the story because there have been many interviews about this drama and I haven't read/listened to them yet.

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

Kougioumtsidis (I have to copy/paste his name each time :d) almost gave up his gold medal in last 50 seconds but somehow survived Ashirov's last attack.

Incredible, only 21 years old and already European champion :GRE:champion:

This is the first gold medal ever for Greece in men's freestyle wrestling at the European Championships, and our first men's wrestling medal at the European Championships since 2008! Maria Prevolaraki won 5 European medals since then, but of course that's women's wrestling.

It's exciting to see Greece start doing well in sports like wrestling where we don't normally have much success. Kougioumtsidis also has a younger brother so hopefully he is good as well :)

10 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Thanks for this analysis, I really appreciate it. I honestly didn't even know who Khosonov won until he won silver last year at the World U23s. His name obviously isn't Greek so I'm curious about him. We aren't the type of country that likes to naturalize athletes either so he must live in Greece or have some connections.

Khosonov beat an Iranian wrestler in the World U23 semifinal so I had close eyes on him since then to understand the level of our own guy. I believe that was just a lucky break for Khosonov. he finished 5th in Euro U23 few weeks ago and I believe that U23 Silver will be the best medal of his career (I might be wrong though) he knows big throws and this sometimes help you in matches when you are the underdog. you can throw the guy and pin him before he start to collect points.

on other hand Kougioumtsidis caught my attention during the Olympic qualifiers where he failed to qualify but he was impressive for someone with little international experience and now with more experience he is getting better and better. he still gives up silly points sometimes which is a weakness he should work on it. (and almost cost him the Euro gold yesterday ) but I won't be surprised if he medals this year at the World Championship. but sooner or later he has to make a decision to move up or move down to an Olympic weight. I would advise moving up to 86kg

10 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Also we are not sure what will happen with Pilidis, he said he wants to win a medal at the 2024 Olympics (he's been in the media a lot now ever since his appearance on Survivor), but he also has a very bad relationship with the federation (he said on the show that he was asked once to fix a European final and that caused controversy). He also said that his mother had to sell all of her jewelry to afford to send him to competitions. Honestly I haven't kept up with the story because there have been many interviews about this drama and I haven't read/listened to them yet.

fixing a final ? hmm. that's interesting. I wonder if it was against a Russian wrestler? :mumble: they are notorious for doing these kind of things :thumbdown:. I know they did that at least few times before.

I understand his situation. that's always the problem when you are active in a sport which is NOT big in your country. lots of our athletes in minor sports have these kind of problems. but not our wrestlers, this is obviously a big sport here. they are usually relatively well paid. most of them have no other job and only focus on their wrestling career. that's the only way to keep up with the Russians and Americans.

I wouldn't say Pilidis can medal in 2024 (65kg is a very very tough weight) but that's not completely impossible for him. he is not that far and they should invest on him.

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

Bravo Tajmuraz :yes

Him missing Tokyo 2020 is still the saddest sport moment of the previous Olympic cycle for me, hopefully he will be in Paris and fighting for that dreamed olypic medal

congrats to Salkazanov for not givin'up until the last second...:hatoff:

but I just can't believe how Frank threw this gold medal away...after the first throw who earned him 4 points (5 with the lost challenge by the Slovak coach), he did absolutely nothing for more than 5 mins...and those last 6 seconds! how can he always lose this kind of bouts, it remains a mistery to me (it's certainly not the first time it happens)...:( :facepalm:

tbh, I'm really, really disappointed with today's performance by Frank...:nopompom: