website statistics

Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019

Wumo

15 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

While I agree that there’s huge, huge contempt towards any non-traditional country doing well, Kenya has athletes on tape getting EPO. Not to mention that athlete after athlete from Kenya is testing positive lately. 

East Africa is hardly non-traditional when it comes to middle & long distance running though. It rather shows how weak the marathon field was if a 41yo teacher could still get a Top 10. Marathons at these WChamps are second-tier anyway. I bet everyone wants to win New York, Chicago or Berlin rather than a gold medal in Doha tbh.

Just now, Monzanator said:

East Africa is hardly non-traditional when it comes to middle & long distance running though. It rather shows how weak the marathon field was if a 41yo teacher could still get a Top 10. Marathons at these WChamps are second-tier anyway. I bet everyone wants to win New York, Chicago or Berlin rather than a gold medal in Doha tbh.

The winner of Boston and 6th place her was a teacher. Many marathon runners have to have “real” jobs to be able to support themselves in the West since there’s not state funding for sports, which is just a shame.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

The winner of Boston and 6th place her was a teacher. Many marathon runners have to have “real” jobs to be able to support themselves in the West since there’s not state funding for sports, which is just a shame.

Marathons just don't have the same status as sprints, that's the way it goes. The East African dominance is so big most of the world doesn't care anymore either. And now we have Kenyans & Ethiopians representing other countries as well. It's a battle no teacher from Canada can win regardless if there's a state funding or not tbh.

I'm not sure how to judge the second day for :POL First of all there's a medal of Joanna Fiodorow which is a little unexpected (but also a huge thing! :hyper:). Bigger chance was Malwina Kopron who was gone in qualifications so this medal is some kind of equalization of this lost. Second thing is a new PB of Fiodorow which is even better news cause now I'm starting to believe in her olympic success in Tokyo.

But besides that little good happened yesterday. There was mixed relay which was cappable with half of its best squad to win (the weaker one) elimination race. Also Piotr Lisek advanced without a problem to Pole Vault final. Really bad news is that Pawel Wojciechowski didn't and miserable comformation is that he wasn't the only favorite who was gone. The third of ours pole vaulters Sobera also end his start on this WCh. I have mixed feelings about Kszczot (800m) and Swoboda (100m). They both advanced do the semis but only with 'q' which is quite disappointment especially regarding to Kszczot. 

There was very bad performance of ours discobolus which none of them advanced to the final. Last final of Discus Throw without Poles was in 2003! Sabat (800m) and Dobek (400mH) gone in semis but it's not a suprise. The same as places of our walkers: Augustyn - 13th, Brzozowski 22nd, Sikora 28th. To be honest I was counting on one place at top 10 but in this conditions I think I can be happy that all three get to the finish line. Even if Sikora was slower than most of the women.

These champs won't be as good for :POL as some of the previous ones. Medal in W Hammer was kinda expected even though Wlodarczyk is missing. But I thought Kopron will get it rather than Fiodorow who set PB. Haratyk probably won't recover from the finger swelling that plagued him over the last few weeks so I expect Top 8 at best. Bukowiecki is a mental mess, he will probably bomb out one way or another. Kszczot looks fragile, he keeps complaining about the spike to the Achilles during national champs. The biggest surprise which won't be a surprise is probably Marcin Lewandowski in 1500. This will be another slow race with a sprint finish so he could get among the Africans & Ingebrigtsen and steal a medal. Men's Hammer and Women's 4x400 relay are safer bets for a medal. I don't see us winning more than 5 medals in total with Men's Hammer probably the only gold possible.

As it turns out :POLRafal Augustyn had to walk extra 2km lap because the officials fucked up his lap count. His final result was classified without the unneccessary lap though (13th). Artur Brzozowski who finished 22nd had the last lap bell ring twice and flat out refused to continue. After a delay the officials checked their sheets and agreed he has actually finished the race.

This is a complete disaster of World Championships. I know race walking is stuck at the very bottom of the charts but this is pure amateur crap. I hope IAAF enjoys the money Qatar paid to host this shit show. I just can't wait for the World Cup boredom in 2022. Money can't buy you class.

14 hours ago, orangeman said:

She just won gold at the World Championships of Athletics.  What have you done this week?

Many things, but eating half a cow wasn't among them ...

It is really sad to see people like her doing well in "sports", you just have to hope that no kids will take people like her or Stahl as a role model. I think it would be a smart move by IAAF to get rid of all throwing events. When morbidly obese people can be competitive, than those events can't be considered sports anymore and it would be really dangerous if kids would start to think that you as an individual can eat as much as a small city and still be an "athlete". Athletes should inspire people to start sports and get healthier and not to start eating as much as you can and to get yourself into a grave as fast as possible.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.