website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics LEN European Championships 2018

Totallympics

vor 34 Minuten schrieb phelps:

actually he's from Ukraine and he's not so young to have competed at the junior Europeans that recently (he's already 25 years old)...

no idea about his junior record, but he represented Ukraine until 2015 (he missed out on the final in the 400 IM for them in London), then he switched to AZE...

tbh, I guess this late improvement after changing to that specific Nation is at least suspect (but don't be bothered by this last sentence...it's surely me...I just can't trust AZE anymore for anything)...:whistle:

We are both partly right, he won the gold in the 400 IM for Ukraine at the 2011 junior european championships. Ukraine seems to lose a lot of talents, Solnaceva too, but she also seems to be stuck now.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

10 minuti fa, OlympicsFan ha scritto:

5 seconds are not nothing, but apparently thats exactly the time that Quadarella improved by in one year, so why should a girl who is 3 years younger not be able to do it? By your logic Ledecky for example should have stopped improving years ago, i dont see a reason why Kesely should already be at her limit, considering that she just destroyed her PB, the same is true for Titmus who absolutely destroyed her PBs this year. I understand that you want to believe it, but for me there is just no actual proof that those girls are at their limit already and i think it would be very weird if all those 16/17 yo girls would already be at their limit while 20 year old Quadarella still has a lot of potential. All those girls have more raw speed than Quadarella, so probably 1500 would be her best chance for a medal.

just read the post above...it's not weird...you just can't compare Italy (and the other Latin Countries) with those I mentioned...the difference is enormous in all aspects of life...

here in Italy you won't find more than 3% of people under 25 years going to live by themselves and living their life as "real adults"...

in your (and many other) Countries this is difficult to understand...but that's how things go...

all of our lives are postponed if compared to many other Nations and this reflects also on our sporting results overall, in the senior ranks...

Edited by phelps

3 minuti fa, OlympicsFan ha scritto:

We are both partly right, he won the gold in the 400 IM for Ukraine at the 2011 junior european championships. Ukraine seems to lose a lot of talents, Solnaceva too, but she also seems to be stuck now.

well, a few years their situation was really complicated (not sure now it's a lot better, though)...

once I read an interview by the great Yana Klockova and she basically said that swimming for her Country at that time was an "act of faith", since they didn't have almost any infrastructure nor a good coach (all stayed in russia when the 2 Countries split)...

so, I can understand their guys taking some difficult decisions such leaving their own Nation...

but stil, I have always so many doubts about Azerbaijani sport (and not only that)...

vor 7 Minuten schrieb phelps:

just read the post above...it's not weird...you just can't comapre Italy (and the other Latin Countries) with those I mentioned...the difference is enormous in all aspects of life...

here in Italy you won't find more than 3% of people under 25 years going to live by themselves and living their life as "real adults"...

in your (and many other) Countries this is difficult to understand...but that's how things go...

all of our lives are postponed if compared to many other Nations and this reflects also on our sporting results overall, in the senior ranks...

1) Even if thats the case, then why exactly doesnt the same apply to Hungary?

2) You are citing statistics, but that would just tell you that a person from Italy is likely to peak later in his/her career than an athlete from Australia for example, but it says nothing about whether this also applies to two certain athletes. Do you know how for example Quadarella and Titmus live?

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Adesso, OlympicsFan ha scritto:

1) Even if thats the case, then why exactly doesnt the same apply to Hungary?

2) You are citing statistics, but that would just tell you that a person from Italy is likely to peak later in his/her career than an athlete from Australia for example, but it says nothing about this also applies to two certain athletes. Do you know how for example Quadarella and Titmus live?

well, I know about Quadarella history (she's the typical Italian athlete...until last year she used to train just once a day since she was going to highschool -where you have to attend classes everyday for 5/6 hours from September to June...

basically she became a professional athlete after the end of her highschool education..that's why we always have a lot of those guys improving around the 19/20/21 years by quite some margin and we normally don't have 16/18 years old senior medal contenders (unless you're special like Pellegrini, who was so good at 16 that she started winning medals at that age in Athens despite not training like a pro yet)...

Hungary instead has a different system...they really push everybody to the limit since the youngest age, therefore they have the "big jump" in their performance earlier than the average (the only thing they have if compared to other Countries, they can make their champions last for a long time -just look at Darnyi, Cseh, the same Katinka)...

I don't know a lot about Titmus, but I don't think she's a differend kind of girl within the Australian standard...

however, I'm just guessing and hoping...as I always say, my opinions are just opinions..and therefore are subject to fail (actually, most often I don't get it right)...

my words are not "the Truth"...I've never thought to be God...;)

Both Campbell sisters have been at the top for very long, the same is true for someone like McKeon or Trickett and so on, i dont think you can just say australian swimmers dont stay at the top for very long and dont continue to improve as seniors. Germany has the same system as Italy, with the difference that maybe a hand full of athletes are "pros", for example Sarah Köhler is studying to become a lawyer currently. Probably Italy just spends more money on swimming.

19 minutes ago, dcro said:

Duncan Scott wins last heat of 200m IM - doesn't qualify for semifinals. :p

Swim-off between :LUX:TUR to come...

Another British 1-2-3 where one is victim of that stupid rule :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!