website statistics

Figure Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

6 hours ago, Vektor said:

Personally I would do something very drastic: declare that the age limit is 21 years for every sport at the Summer and Winter Games

That's total rubbish. Glad you will never be heard and the rule will never come. I'm all ok with 15 years as minimum. 

7 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

This only adds fuel to my dislike for the Winter Olympics and, especially, for this sport.

Honestly I didn't like figure skating before the games started but ended up watching a lot, and yeah Figure Skating is way way better than gymnastics honestly.

As far as Kamila is considered I genuinely hope she'll not get any ban. TMZ has extremely minimal effect in healthy children and one can argue if she was at least  18 years (maybe even 17) At 15 years I'm not going to listen to anyone who says she is guilty, because those who do don't really know anything but are speaking in air. Even if someone had to dope they wouldn't want to take a drug whose side effects are vertigo ,dizziness and visual disturbances coz that really causes a problem in a sport like figure skating which requires multiple twists and turns .

Eteri and the Károlyis are only the symptoms, not the issue. Children are being abused in many sports, in many countries. We had abuse cases in Hungarian swimming recently, which is the one sport we are good at where athletes can win Olympic medals at a young age. It's what happens when sport results are more important than the well-being of children. It's child labour. 

Everyone has to remember IOC promotes 12 year olds at Summer OG as the new future. And they would happily ditch old school sports like boxing or wrestling for "urban" events aimed at the teenage children audience. They literally told this when introducing skateboarding and break dancing. So raising the minimum age to 21 for all Olympic events is obviously impossible. And figure skating in Russia has so much depth there will be more coaches trying to win at all cost.

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Everyone has to remember IOC promotes 12 year olds at Summer OG as the new future. And they would happily ditch old school sports like boxing or wrestling for "urban" events aimed at the teenage children audience. They literally told this when introducing skateboarding and break dancing. So raising the minimum age to 21 for all Olympic events is obviously impossible. And figure skating in Russia has so much depth there will be more coaches trying to win at all cost.

I mean, I didn't say that my proposal was possible under the current leadership. It's obviously not going to happen because these people will never protect athletes, they are tools for them, regardless of their age. And yeah, it made me feels very uneasy when I saw 12 year old children winning medals in Skateboarding. It is what it is, money will always be more important. 

2 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Honestly I didn't like figure skating before the games started but ended up watching a lot, and yeah Figure Skating is way way better than gymnastics honestly.

As far as Kamila is considered I genuinely hope she'll not get any ban. TMZ has extremely minimal effect in healthy children and one can argue if she was at least  18 years (maybe even 17) At 15 years I'm not going to listen to anyone who says she is guilty, because those who do don't really know anything but are speaking in air. Even if someone had to dope they wouldn't want to take a drug whose side effects are vertigo ,dizziness and visual disturbances coz that really causes a problem in a sport like figure skating which requires multiple twists and turns .

What rubbish. If there was really zero performance enhancement, then why would they ever give her a prohibited drug? The drug is never prescribred to minors and it is basically the same as meldonium and we all know the Russian history with that one. Heck, some Russian athletes have already served a ban for TMZ specifically (for example Sergeeva in bobsleigh).

She is not guilty, but her coaching team is. As for the ban, she is probably not getting one, but it really doesn't matter. She is not going to be around for the next Olympics, you can bet your house on that. Eteri trains her students to peak early and burn out. Some of her other 15 year old students (but born after July 1, so not age eligible), were publically stating in interviews that they were hoping the Olympics get postponed to 2023, as that would have been their only chance to take part...

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

What rubbish. If there was really zero performance enhancement, then why would they ever give her a prohibited drug? The drug is never prescribred to minors and it is basically the same as meldonium and we all know the Russian history with that one. Heck, some Russian athletes have already served a ban for TMZ specifically (for example Sergeeva in bobsleigh).

She is not guilty, but her coaching team is. As for the ban, she is probably not getting one, but it really doesn't matter. She is not going to be around for the next Olympics, you can bet your house on that. Eteri trains her students to peak early and burn out. Some of her other 15 year old students (but born after July 1, so not age eligible), were publically stating in interviews that they were hoping the Olympics get postponed to 2023, as that would have been their only chance to take part...

Katharina Witt said the drug didn't help or "teach" Valieva how to jump quads. I assume Witt knows more about figure skating than you do :p

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Katharina Witt said the drug didn't help or "teach" Valieva how to jump quads. I assume Witt knows more about figure skating than you do :p

Not what I was saying. Yes, it obviously did not teach her the signature Eteri technique.

But it is very much indisputed that increased blood flow means more stamina which then equals more effective training. Eteri's team is again known for more rigurous training (quantity wise in particular).

Unless Witt is a doctor, then her statements do not hold much value in regards to stamina.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Not what I was saying. Yes, it obviously did not teach her the signature Eteri technique.

But it is very much indisputed that increased blood flow means more stamina which then equals more effective training. Eteri's team is again known for more rigurous training (quantity wise in particular).

Unless Witt is a doctor, then her statements do not hold much value in regards to stamina.

However making quad jumps is what separates the Russians from the rest so that is the whole point. You don't win gold medals in figure skating on stamina but on technical content in the end. I'll still take Witt's words over yours no matter if she's not a doctor :p

Obviously Valieva, Trusova & Shcherbakova won't be back for the next Olympics though. Russians will send a new wave of teenagers to Cortina. I read Robin Cousins' comments on BBC how they all have probably two more Olympics ahead of them. What a load of crap. This might be true for nations with zero depth where one skater has literally no competition to speak of (Poland!) but not Russia.