website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2030 Bid Process

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

The IOCs fascination with having the speed skating venue out of France is bizarre

Well, it's become harder and harder to justify the building of a very expensive venue for a sport that barely exist in the country. It will be a different matter if an outdoor venue was a possibility like it was for the Lausanne YOG

St. Moritz – Architecture of the Games

Just now, De_Gambassi said:

Well, it's become harder and harder to justify the building of a very expensive venue for a sport that barely exist in the country. It will be a different matter if an outdoor venue was a possibility like it was for the Lausanne YOG

St. Moritz – Architecture of the Games

The initial idea was to use convention center space in Nice or elsewhere in France no?

Just now, intoronto said:

The initial idea was to use convention center space in Nice or elsewhere in France no?

As far as I remembered, there were always the two possibilities : temporary venue in Nice or a 'real' one abroad

Just now, De_Gambassi said:

As far as I remembered, there were always the two possibilities : temporary venue in Nice or a 'real' one abroad

Yea that temporary venue was supposed to be a convention centre, similar to 2026's proposal. Even Paris could have hosted it using that concept.

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Yea that temporary venue was supposed to be a convention centre, similar to 2026's proposal. Even Paris could have hosted it using that concept.

Sure, just to reiterate, I can find any source in french on @Faramir breaking news :p I believe, we are a long way before the final decision.

The International Olympic Committee has asked for talks between the World Anti-Doping Agency and the United States, including the country’s anti-doping agency USADA, to resolve a dispute over jurisdiction in doping matters, it said on Wednesday.

A bipartisan group of US lawmakers on Tuesday threatened to cut USA funding for Wada, accusing it of failing to properly investigate alleged doping by Chinese Olympic swimmers. The USA, the largest single country funder of Wada, has accused the global anti-doping body of not disclosing that 23 Chinese swimmers tested positive for performance-enhancing trimetazidine (TMZ) in China months before the Tokyo Olympics in 2021.

“We have asked for a dialogue between WADA and all the stakeholders,” IOC spokesperson Mark Adams told a press conference. “From our understanding the question is about respect of international agreements and those international agreements have been signed by everyone around the world, including the United States.”

The swimmers were cleared by a Chinese investigation, which said they were inadvertently exposed to the drug through contamination at a hotel but the Department of Justice has since launched an investigation. WADA said it had no evidence to challenge China’s findings. The incident, however, cast a shadow over the Paris Olympics and sparked a major row between the global and American anti-doping agencies, drawing in the IOC which said Wada was the only global body responsible for anti-doping.

Wada responded to USA allegations by saying it would take the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) to the Independent Compliance Review Committee, a move that could jeopardise plans for the U.S. to host the 2028 summer and 2034 winter Olympics in Los Angeles and Salt Lake City respectively.

During our athletics broadcast, the commentators were mentioning how Coe was certain that cross running will be added to the Winter Olympics (maybe with cyclo-cross too). Stupid idea imo, unless they make them run through the snow. Just because those sports are held at that time of the year, doesn't make them winter sports. You could just as well held them in August and nothing will change.

15 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

During our athletics broadcast, the commentators were mentioning how Coe was certain that cross running will be added to the Winter Olympics (maybe with cyclo-cross too). Stupid idea imo, unless they make them run through the snow. Just because those sports are held at that time of the year, doesn't make them winter sports. You could just as well held them in August and nothing will change.

I am a fan of such decisions. I even thought climbing will be held at WOG. Why? Schedules. This of SOG is full with some new events waiting. In winter we have often quite boring hours during games. If some event has some links to winter i will welcome it in WOG programme. I don't know english name of bojery, this ice sailing. Why not. 

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

21 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Personally I am *extremely* pro cross country running, cyclocross and snow volleyball being added to the Winter Olympics (and raising the athlete cap to like 4k).

On 8/3/2024 at 12:07 AM, NearPup said:

Personally I am *extremely* pro cross country running, cyclocross and snow volleyball being added to the Winter Olympics (and raising the athlete cap to like 4k).

I’d rather ice cross, telemark skiing, and FreeRide be added personally. 

Raising the athlete cap? I agree :d (I think the maximum of 32 athletes in freestyle skiing is stupid…)