website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

The Davis/BJK rules are more suggestions and an easy out for players that don't want to participate at the Olympics without looking bad.

If the player really wants to and their NOC agrees the ITF won't prevent them from competing.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

They "bend the rules" like this all the time, there are many examples, especially when a player recently rose up like O'Connell did. He spent most of this Olympic cycle out of the top 100 and only recently is now well inside the top 100.

It really was not realistic for Australia to select him in Davis Cup in 2021 or 2022 for example.

But that is all Australia's problem.  Czechia need not pay for that.  AUS could have selected him earlier this year and Hewitt didn't.  Now they cannot cry about it.  And ITF should not pay heed if they do.

Mensik is just 18 years old.   A super-talented player.   The only player aged below 19 in the ATP top-200.   He had come up from #140 to #77 in the last 4 months or something, right?  To screw him out of a chance to play at Olympics, just to be nice to Australia smells awfully foul to me.

(I am an Indian, and don't have a dog in this fight.  I just felt bad that Sumit Nagal pushed the young kid out of that last spot.  But he actually didn't.  As per ITF's rules, Mensik should still be in!)

Edited by jayakris

2 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Cilic hasn't played in a very long time, I thought he was injured, is he going to be healthy again?

Dodig/Vekic would just miss out but there would probably be withdrawals. Without withdrawals, Pavic/Vekic would get in regardless. Is that not a possibility?

Is Martic/Vekic not an option because they don't want to play together or some other reason? They would be one of the first alternates right now after GRE and ITA2, so they probably have a chance to get in the draw. I don't think Martic can make it in singles unless there are a lot of withdrawals...

Dodig just said last week he plans to play with Cilic. 

I don’t think Vekic wants to play 3 tournaments, beside singles, she is focusing on mixed. I am sure they will get in. 

Martic is safe for the singles. She played a challenger this week and improved her ranking a bit. That should be enough. 

1 hour ago, jayakris said:

But that is all Australia's problem.  Czechia need not pay for that.  AUS could have selected him earlier this year and Hewitt didn't.  Now they cannot cry about it.  And ITF should not pay heed if they do.

Mensik is just 18 years old.   A super-talented player.   The only player aged below 19 in the ATP top-200.   He had come up from #140 to #77 in the last 4 months or something, right?  To screw him out of a chance to play at Olympics, just to be nice to Australia smells awfully foul to me.

(I am an Indian, and don't have a dog in this fight.  I just felt bad that Sumit Nagal pushed the young kid out of that last spot.  But he actually didn't.  As per ITF's rules, Mensik should still be in!)

I hope that Menšík will be in. But i think that it is not against rules. It Is not neccessary to be part od Davis Cup/Fed Cup, but have interest to compete (example with Badosa is good enough). 

2 hours ago, stepansevs said:

I hope that Menšík will be in. But i think that it is not against rules. It Is not neccessary to be part od Davis Cup/Fed Cup, but have interest to compete (example with Badosa is good enough)

Anyway, in the end, I am sure Mensik will be in.  This early cut will drop  quite a bit.  Probably at least 5-6 spots.

34 minutes ago, jayakris said:

Anyway, in the end, I am sure Mensik will be in.  This early cut will drop  quite a bit.  Probably at least 5-6 spots.

Thanks of your kind words of Jakub he is really huge talent. He had a break due to a small injury but he is back. He mentioned for media he would be happy to go to the Games but if he doesn't go, it doesn't matter as he is still very young and will surely be aiming for LA28. But according to the current ranking it shows he may make the cut 😊🤞

5 hours ago, prso1000 said:

Dodig just said last week he plans to play with Cilic. 

I don’t think Vekic wants to play 3 tournaments, beside singles, she is focusing on mixed. I am sure they will get in. 

Martic is safe for the singles. She played a challenger this week and improved her ranking a bit. That should be enough. 

Vekic isn't good on clay and won't even be seeded in singles so I don't think 3 tournaments will be much for her, but anyways Martic is 79 in singles which I don't think will be enough to get in unless there are a lot of withdrawals, probably the cutoff will be around 70 before withdrawals.

Which is unfortunate because I would like to see her make the Olympics once in her career (and she will be 37 in 2028...), but also she has herself to blame for not caring to go to Tokyo when she had the ranking for it.

On 6/4/2024 at 11:31 AM, MatiReimundo said:

The loss of Ruusuvuori in this week challengers pretty much close the olympics rankings as there is no more possible changes, except :GER Altmaier or Marterer win the Heilbronn Challenger and gets in the last spot. The Top 56 qualified players are:

* Based on Monday 10/06 World Ranking, some players can withdraw or not meet the elegibility criteria.

:ITA Jannik Sinner ; Lorenzo Musetti ; Matteo Arnaldi ; Luciano Darderi (Cobolli or Sonego instead of Darderi)

:SRB Novak Djokovic ; Laslo Djere ; Miomir Kecmanovic ; Dusan Lajovic

:ESP Carlos Alcaraz ; Rafael Nadal (PR) ; Pablo Carreño Busta (PR) ; Alejandro Davidovich Fokina

:AIN Daniil Medvedev ; Andrey Rublev ; Karen Khachanov ; Roman Safiullin

:AUS Alex De Minaur ; Jordan Thompson ; Alexei Popyrin ; Christopher O´Connell

:USA Taylor Fritz ; Tommy Paul ; Sebastian Korda ; Frances Tiafoe

:FRA Ugo Humbert ; Gael Monfils ; Arthur Fils ; Corentin Moutet

:ARG Sebastian Baez ; Francisco Cerundolo ; Mariano Navone ; Tomas Etcheverry

:GER Alexander Zverev ; Jan-Lennard Struff ; Dominik Koepfer

:GBR Cameron Norrie ; Jack Draper ; Daniel Evans

:KAZ Alexander Bublik ; Alexander Shevchenko

:CHI Nicolas Jarry ; Alejandro Tabilo

:CZE Jiri Lehecka ; Tomas Machac

:HUN Fabian Marozsan ; Marton Fucsovics

:POL Hubert Hurkacz

:GRE Stefanos Tsitsipas

:NOR Casper Ruud

:DEN Holger Rune

:CAN Felix Auger-Aliassime

:NED Tallon Griekspoor

:POR Nuno Borges

:AUT Sebastian Ofner

:BRA Thiago Seyboth Wild

:FIN Emil Ruusuvuori

8 Spots Remaining:

2 Legacy WC (probably :GBR Andy Murray and :SUI Stan Wawrinka)

1 Universality Spot (most likely :MON Valentin Vacherot)

1 Host Nation Quota (Reallocated to :GER Daniel Altmaier / Maximilian Marterer or :CZE Jakub Mensik)

African Champion :TUN Moez Echargui

Asian Champion :CHN Zhizhen Zhang

PanAmerican Games Silver and Bronze Medallist :CHI Tomas Barrios Vera and :BRA Thiago Monteiro (Gold Medallist ARG Facundo Diaz Acosta quota reallocated to Monteiro because of the max 4 per country rule)

Next in Ranking in case of withdraws:

(1) - :GER Daniel Altmaier or Maximilian Marterer (in case of making at least QF or SF in this week Heilbronn Challenger or finishing ahead Marterer)

(1)- :CZE Jakub Mensik

2- :BEL Zizou Bergs

3- :JPN Taro Daniel

(4)- :GER Maximilian Marterer (if Altmaier dont finish ahead of him)

5- :CRO Borna Coric

6- :SUI Stan Wawrinka

7- :CHN Juncheng Shang

8- :GBR Andy Murray

9- :NED Botic van de Zandschulp

10- :IND Sumit Nagal

Next - Nishioka, Galan, Goffin, Vacherot, Garin, Shapovalov, Kovalik, Kopriva, Dzumhur

May use Protected Ranking:

:CRO Marin Cilic (direct quota)

:CAN Denis Shapovalov (direct quota)

:JPN Kei Nishikori (direct quota)

:KOR Kwon Soon-woo (below Mensik in Next in Ranking for possible reallocation)

Players who are qualified and either withdraw or dont meet the elegibility criteria:

:BUL Grigor Dimitrov (Davis Cup criteria)

:USA Ben Shelton (Withdraw)

:FRA Adrian Mannarino (Withdraw)

Do we have any official indication that Dimitrov is out (as in the case of Mertens)? thanks!!

5 minutes ago, Jur said:

:LBN Benjamin Hassan got the male universiality quota.

And Elina now represents :ARM, so I guess she gets a quota to the olympics too

As yet Elina does not have Armenian citizenship though