website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

@Cinnamon Bun how likely is it for Oleksiak to qualify in the women’s 100m freestyle? She’s on 894 points. MacNeil is above her in the rankings but will likely decline her spot. 

If I'm not mistaken Oleksiak has been selected for one of the relays meaning she can enter the event without having to worry about getting one of the last OCT spots as she is part of the second part of the athlete total which is relay only athletes (relay athletes which haven't achieved an OQT). The athletes on the above list are once that can only qualify if spots open up once OQT, relay only and universality quotas are confirmed. 

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

And to be honest, I'm not sure if your interpretation is correct for two reasons.

1) There should be one athlete listed per distance in one batch even though 2nd best athlete has better score than 1st best in another distance. Unless one athlete has the best OCT in two distances.

2) Relay-only athletes should also be included. They need to be invited to swim in the individual distances because otherwise they wouldn't be relay-only. Per: https://swimswam.com/world-aquatics-confirms-that-relay-only-swimmers-dont-get-bonus-events-at-the-olympics/

25 minutes ago, Kerkun said:

And to be honest, I'm not sure if your interpretation is correct for two reasons.

1) There should be one athlete listed per distance in one batch even though 2nd best athlete has better score than 1st best in another distance. Unless one athlete has the best OCT in two distances.

2) Relay-only athletes should also be included. They need to be invited to swim in the individual distances because otherwise they wouldn't be relay-only. Per: https://swimswam.com/world-aquatics-confirms-that-relay-only-swimmers-dont-get-bonus-events-at-the-olympics/

As I mentioned above, the athletes on the list are only the athletes who need spots to open up after OQT, relay only and universality quotas are decided. The relay-only athletes may have to still technically be "invited" but they'd still have free range to compete as they can't take up 2 athlete quotas (relay-only and OCT). But if you want me to I'm happy to put these athletes in brackets and slot them into where they'd be if they weren't qualified via relays. Also regarding your first point, not every event has available athletes for OCT selection as some have athletes from countries that have at least one NOC with the OQT and/or athletes who already have OQT and/or OCT times from other events. 

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Apologies for the delay, wanted to make sure everything accurate and factually correct on the OCT eligibility side. 

When adding up the qualified individual and relay athletes I got a final number of 594. Due to all the relay athletes not being announced this number I had to make an educated guess fora couple of the relay nations so this number may be 3 or 4 out either side. I then added all the possible universality quotas which got me to a total of 319 before combining those numbers to get to 913. I then divided 319 by 4 as I expect about 50 - 60 of the countries eligible for 2 universality quotas to only take up 1 or potentially none at all and about 15-20 of the countries eligible for 1 universality quota to reject it, this left me with 79.75 that I rounded up to 80. I then subtracted 80 from the 913 total to get a final estimate of 833, meaning 19 quotas would be available for OCT athletes. With that said here is every athlete that is eligible to qualify via OCT after OQT, relay and universality quotas are dished out in order of their priority: 

1. :AUT - Heiko Gigler - Men’s 100m Free - 909 points

2. :SUI - Jeremy Desplanches - Men’s 200m IM - 901 points

3. :NZL - Zac Reid - Men's 400m Free - 900 points

4. :JPN - Shogo Takeda - Men’s 1500m Free - 896 points

5. :FIN - Tomas Koski - Men’s 200m Free - 880 points

6. :SLO - Janja Segel - Women’s 200m Free - 880 points

7. :ITA - Anita Gastaldi - Women’s 200m IM - 876 points

8. :ROU - Denis-Lauren Popescu - Men’s 100m Back - 873 points

9. :ESP - Jessica Vall Montero - Women’s 200m Breastroke - 872 points

10. :RSA - Emma Chelius - Women’s 50m Free - 871 points

11. :ARG - Santiago Grassi - Men’s 100m Fly - 870 points

12. :GER - David Thomasberger - Men’s 200m Fly - 863 points

13. :ARG - Agostina Hein - Women’s 800m Free - 863 points

14. :POR - Francisca Soares Martins - Women’s 400m Free - 858 points

15. :EGY - Ali Khalafalla - Men’s 50m Free - 856 points 

16. :IRL - John Shortt - Men’s 200m Back - 855 points

17. :SGP - Ching Hwee Gan - Women’s 1500m Free - 852 points

18. :ESP - Laura Cabanes Garzas - Women’s 200m Fly - 841 points

19. :ROU - Aissia Claudia Prisecariu - Women’s 200m Back - 830 points

20. :TUR - Berke Saka - Men’s 200m IM - 897 points

21. :SGP - En Yi Letitia Sim - Women’s 200m Breastroke - 895 points

22. :EGY - Youssef Ramadan - Men’s 100 Fly - 863 points

23. :BUL - Kaloyan Bratanov - Men’s 50m Free - 853 points-

24. :ITA - Ilaria Cusinato - Women’s 200m Fly - 841 points

25. :POL - Mateusz Chowaniec - Men’s 100m Free - 904 points

26. :TUR - Emre Sakci - Men’s 50m Free - 852 points

The only athlete I'm not sure on is :IRL Shane Ryan as I don't know if he's been selected for the Free part of the 4x100 medley or if Tom Fannon has instead. If he has then everyone below him would move up one place. Other than that and the potential of the likes of :ITA and :ESP rejecting some of these OCT quotas, this should all be factually correct and accurate. 

the :ITA team is done and dusted, we're not gonna add anybody (even if WA would give us the chance), since those 2 girls are rested (Cusinato) or completely out of shape (Gastaldi)

Edited by phelps

2 hours ago, Kerkun said:

He got the OQT on 50m freestyle.

But Swim Ireland have said they only accept times from the 2023 and 2024 WC and the Irish Nationals. 

5 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

If I'm not mistaken Oleksiak has been selected for one of the relays meaning she can enter the event without having to worry about getting one of the last OCT spots as she is part of the second part of the athlete total which is relay only athletes (relay athletes which haven't achieved an OQT). The athletes on the above list are once that can only qualify if spots open up once OQT, relay only and universality quotas are confirmed. 

There was some discussion about this over at SwimSwam around the time of Canadian trials and apparently you can't use an OCT if you're entered as relay only.