website statistics
2 minutes ago, rybak said:

@OlympicIRL what do you think about Lesley performance? :d 

Probably as expected, she is not the best vocalist :p

The song is ok and the staging is interesting but having watched it for first time, I think it wasn't good at all :d

Anyway, interesting to see on an Irish forum where most people hearing the song for first time and the performance are all laughing and saying it was even worse than the very bad stuff we have sent in recent times :d

I feel bad for Lesley though as she seems lovely.

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread
Posted

Here are the other 14 songs that made the final cut in the Irish selection battle. My favourite Irish song of 2020 is probably Run Through Walls by The Script which made the cut but I decided to give Dermot Kennedy a chance this time and glad I did in the end:

Song 1: Wild Youth - Champagne Butterflies

Song 2: JC Stewart - I Need You To Hate Me

Song 3: Fia Moon - Let This Go

Song 4: The Script - Run Through Walls

Song 5: Niall Horan - Still

Song 6: Robert Grace - Fake Fine

Song 7: True Tides - Break The Silence

Song 8: LYRA - New Day

Song 9: JC Stewart - Lying That You Love Me

Song 10: Picture This - Things Are Different

Song 11: Somebody's Child - Love That Sound

Song 12: Miles Graham - Give It Up Now

Song 13: Big Piig - Feels Right

Song 14: Niall Horan - Put A Little Love On Me

[OFF TOPIC] Quiz Thread
Posted
13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Right, 'i' is valid for 'you'...in English.

You might say 'e' (pronounced 'ey') to get someone's attention, preferably a friend, but it's definitely not 'you'. The more formal way of saying 'you' in Dutch, for example to older people you don't know, is answer D, 'u'.

Not relevent for the question, but possibly interesting: it varies per person. My one grandma insisted we wouldn't call her 'u' and only used the informal word ('je/jou'), whereas my other grandma prefers 'u'.

So when being formal are we to call you heywoodjou? :p 

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread
Posted
19 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Still didn’t say anything about the “s” sound you noticed. During the Chicano English segment they talk about something to do with the “s” sound. Is that what you were talking about, or something different?

Yes!! That’s exactly it. So while most would pronounce “chairs” with a z sound at the end (chairz) the Chicano influence has led the s at the end to be pronounced with an s sound instead of z sound. And that is what I picked up on in your accent. That’s so cool that it’s a thing after all :) 

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2021
Posted

I think there’s a big chance Norway is going to be my favourite this year. I am growing to love the song and can even look past the Tix’s outfit now :d 

I think he could do something really good with the staging on this one too. I think it will surprise many because it is a grower :d 

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2021
Posted

I don't mind the song, it's much better in Norwegian by the way. But the staging is too much, it makes it seem really cheesy. I was never a fan of Monument anyway. I think KEiiNO would have been the "right" choice for Norway in that they have a fandom across Europe that will vote for them and would have brought them a decent result. I just don't rate the song though.

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread
Posted
1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Wired’s been doing a fun series on American English dialects/accents. They haven’t talked about California much yet, but they’ve covered the East, South, Midwest, and Great Lakes pretty well.

For those of you who have heard me speak on the podcast, is there anything about my English that stands out, or sounds different? Maybe @OlympicIRL could provide some insight here. I’m curious since I obviously have no way of knowing. I do definitely say “ing” as “een” like he points out that those west of the Rockies do at the end of part 2. 

I did a quick re-listen of your last podcast to see what I could pick up on as “notheen” came to mind straight away :d

I just know you have a very clear accent and you pronounce most sounds really clearly. 
You pronounce the “s” sound very clearly at the beginning and at the end of words. Almost like a double “ss” if that makes sense. On the other hand you don’t stress vowel sounds too much.

And one word I noticed a difference in how I pronounce the word was “digress”. You said it like dig as in to dig a hole, whereas I pronounce it as die :d But I “die-gress”.

And that is my totally amateur take on your accent. You could have more fun analysing mine and trying to understand it :d 

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
1 hour ago, hckošice said:

our television has published viewer numbers for the last two years. it would be interesting to see the numbers in different countries.

The top number and most viewed program of RTVS was from the 3rd period of the Slovakia-Canada match at the Ice Hockey world championships 2019 with 1.8 million viewers followed from sport program by Petra Vlhová 2nd run in Flachau 2020 slalom with 900.000 viewers following the public TV RTVS2 :hyper:, in 3rd place was the overtime of the UEFA Euro 2020 play-off qualifier Slovakia-Northern Ireland with 839.000 people watching TV. The 2019 Ice Hockey world championships are the most represented in the Top 10.

In terms of most watched sporting events in 2020 here is our top 10....

1  Gaelic Football  All-Ireland Final: Dublin v Mayo 876.6k
2  Rugby  Six Nations: France v Ireland 850.3k
3  Hurling  All-Ireland Final: Limerick v Waterford 712.9k
4  Rugby  Six Nations: Ireland v Scotland 635.8k
5  Rugby  Six Nations: England v Ireland 634.4k
6  Rugby  Six Nations: Ireland v Wales 605.2k
7  Football  Euro 2020 Play-Off: Slovakia v Ireland 570.4k
8  Rugby  Six Nations: Ireland v Italy 540.6k
9  Hurling  All-Ireland Semi-Final: Limerick v Galway 534.0k
10  Gaelic Football  All-Ireland Semi-Final: Mayo v Tipperary 533.2k