website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] Save The Planet Thread
Posted
46 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I do have a fan providing some wind and sorry (not sorry, I'd like to actually sleep), but that has not been turned off during the night.

You would be giving a lot of heart attacks to Koreans if you stay in their house lol

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted (edited)

Reading the latest discussion about two party system made me stumbled on this video when looking for more information. And I can't stop giggling :d

Edited by Griff88

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
17 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

A magnitude 6.9 earthquake has struck off the coast of Indonesia. Hopefully everyone’s alright. Does this make us earthquake buddies @Griff88?

I'm more than 2200 miles away from the location, so no :p

Posted
8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Ah cmon Indonesia :facepalm:

No money, no power :evil:

Well she has requested for amnesty, the president will response (hopefully) as soon as possible.

The Supreme Court is doing their stuff as usual, here I give you two examples:

1. Reducing the sentence of a wealthy businesswoman who bribed a prosecutor with USD 660,000

BUT

2. Overturning the High Court decision on a grandma who allegedly stolen 6 plates and a chunk of ox meat from her workplace, jailing her for 130 days (the High court decided that the grandma wasn't guilty).

Posted
17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

When not exaggerated, this citizenship studies thing sounds pretty good. I mean, it's only good when people know how their country works and stuff like that. You know, minus the propaganda stuff :d

Unfortunately it's the propaganda that stuck in people's head :p

About 80% of educated young voters from the recent election don't know what "Regional Representative Council" (the upper house of the parliament) is despite it is repeated in all 3 stages of school (primary, junior high, and high school). Some even leave the ballot paper intact because the whole focus is the presidential race

Posted
9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I haven't sung the Dutch anthem since I was a little kid in school, big whoop :p

Americans make way too much of a deal of the anthem and flag and the freaking Pledge of Allegiance which reminds me more of the Hitlerjugend than anything. 

In Indonesia anthem and flags are also a revered subject. There is a subject at school that if literally translated became "Citizenship Studies", where you study the government system, how the parliament works, citizenship laws, dissecting the constitution, and some sprinkle of indoctrination about anti-communism etc. I have to say this is quite successful in shaping average Indonesians way of thinking and their thought about national symbols, resulting in often overproud sentiment (and refusal to stand when asked to stand for other countries' anthem while singing our own anthem like mad).

Back at high school, my "Citizenship Studies" teacher is a perfect model of "making a really big deal of anthems and flags". She criticized the Jehovah Witnesses in our school, getting mad if she caught someone singing the anthem wrong, angry because during a flag hoisting ceremony there is a few centimeters gap left at the pole (not "fully hoisted"). Guess she can be famous in the US :p

Posted

So the losing presidential candidate disputed the results, after an attempted riot was unsuccessful, the case was brought to the constitutional court.

It has been 4 days (not including Saturday and Sunday) full of questioning and bickering. Almost all TV here showed this, up to 12 hours a day. The decision (hopefully) will be announced on Friday.

And this is the highlight from the court:

Screenshot_2019-06-24-16-51-53.jpg

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
10 hours ago, MHSN said:

we will have the last day of AFC Futsal U20 Championship in Tabriz, North West of Iran tomorrow. with Japan and Afghanistan in the final. so far this is no big deal just a great achievement for Afghanistan, they lost to Iran in preliminary round but they beat Thailand and Indonesia in knockout round. the host team Iran instead lost to Japan in extra time in other SF.

but this tournament made me (and so many other people) find out there is a very bad , unbelievably racist rule in Iran. there are so many Afghans living in Iran, legally or illegally. something like 1 or 2 millions. but now I found out they only can travel to certain provinces. and their presence is highly forbidden in some other provinces including the one hosting this event. it seems so many of them wanted to travel to Tabriz supporting their team but they can't do that legally. I didn't know about such a rule because fortunately this racist rule doesn't apply to where I live.

I really feel ashamed as Iranian about this. :cry: I really hope some of them at least can travel for tomorrow match and Afghanistan wins the title (which will be tough since Japan is a better team) ironically more than half of Afghan players here are living in Iran as refugee. and they needed "special permission" to travel to Tabriz for that ! :facepalm:

PS: on the funny side. there is a player in Indonesian squad named "Filippo Inzaghi" :d  check #14 here

http://stats.the-afc.com/match_report/15506

That's in futsal

In football we have (Gian) Zola, (Fauzi) Toldo, Pagiluca (Rossy), (Sutan) Zico, Maldini (Pali).

Pretty formidable eh

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

Question for you guys: Is it normal to find some foreign banknotes for sale in museum?

I visited the National Museum of Malaysia and at the souvenir shop there are some of those for sale. Most of them are from Asia, however the 2 rarer ones for me is 5 Croatian dinara (@dcro : if I'm not mistaken this is the old currency, right?) sold for less than USD 1 and 20000 Yugoslavian dinara sold for USD 7

Posted

Our former first lady passed away a few days ago due to leukemia..

But that's not the big news... The big news when the losing candidate of recent elections, Prabowo Subianto, came to the former president's house to express his condolences. When we expecting him to say the almost the same thing as other politicians who also visited the former president, he then said "I was told that the late first lady chose me as her presidential candidate in the last 2 elections, so I can feel what her husband is facing right now"

The former president was evidently pissed off and also reminded the journalist to remove any recordings of the statement, but of course it is futile....

Bizarre....

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I like that one :d No idea what they're singing and I'm sure it's better not knowing it, but the music itself is awesome :d 

To put it easily the lyrics sounded like when North Koreans misinterpret the concept of jihad ("Millions (of people) will become guns and bombs, defending the headquarters")

1 hour ago, dezbee2008 said:

Y'all, remember when the :BLR jury trolled us with the points last weekend? Well, it turns out that a) the original :BLR jury was dismissed because they told people who they voted for in Semi Final 1, and b) when the EBU did the aggregate voting, they gave points to the wrong countries (in fact, the points went to the bottom 10 countries in the made-up vote)

Long story short, it didn't affect who was the top 4 and who came last, but it did change the winner of the jury vote

https://eurovoix.com/2019/05/22/ebu-admits-belarus-grand-final-jury-result-was-incorrect/

Welp if it affected the top 5, it won't be calm like this

Posted

image.png

Rioting continues in Jakarta... Apparently there was a opposition sponsored ambulance which is carrying stones(?)

image.png

Fortunately I'm far from such war zone despite also living in Jakarta. Currently internet is very slow for mobile data

Posted

Indonesia in alert state after the official election results was announced...

The losing candidate is rallying people to protest against the result.. The result was announced 2.00 AM today, (I think) they are preventing large scale demonstration.

62850-pengamanan-kpu.jpg

ekonomi210519-2.jpg

2fa82c5b-799f-4d65-9d1d-da3675fc51df_169

On 19/05/2019 at 17:16, heywoodu said:

Lol, this on the news page of 'Teletext' (yeah that still exists) on Dutch TV :p 

30bgvsx.png

Nederland winnaar van Songfestival = Netherlands wins Song Contest

Saudi-Arabië dreigt met vergelding = Saudi-Arabia threatens to retaliate 

Oh shit :p 

Lol in Indonesia they talked about teletext and until now all you can see is a test page (at least for the last 15 years, I checked it occasionally)

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

When I see that, I usually think about those that are great at sports but utterly stupid in terms of classes :p 

I can play the nerd role

You want to be the greaser or the preppies? :p