website statistics
3 minutes ago, ofan said:

It's still working for me. Go to this link http://liveru.eu and then click on the swimming world championships link on the sidebar on the left

It's not on the sidebar for me, I click on "others" and when I click on the FINA WC it keeps bringing me to random youtube channels.  But really, it's fine.  Italian is good for prelims.  

1 minute ago, ofan said:

http://liveru.eu/others/fina-world-aquatics-championships-pb4qc3n

Sorry, that was selfish of me not to share originally :d 

Apparently it "expired".  But it's okay, I've got the Italian one going.  Thanks.

Edited by orangeman

7 minutes ago, Vektor said:

What difference does that make? Swimmers also can't decide who's allowed to compete.

I mean, we can easily turn this thing on its head. Just ask the athletes in Women's 800m if they would allow Semenya to compete or not. You might not like what you would get there depending on what you think about the Semenya situation. This is why CAS exists, they will make the call, and until then, try to beat him in the pool. 

Semenya is a completely different situation.  She was born the way she is.  Sun chose to cheat (and destroy evidence).  On top of that, Semenya is not disrespectful to her competitors.  

1 minute ago, Vektor said:

And I have seen how Western media treats every non-Western swimmer who dominates multiple events. I still can't forget how some sites started calling Hosszú a doper during Rio because they couldn't handle that a Hungarian swimmer was beating the world in many events. So let's just wait how CAS decides and keep this shit out of the competition. 

I have to agree with you that American media is unnecessarily suspicious of non-American swimmers (and athletes in general) doing well.  There's even rumblings on other sites about how suspicious the sudden rise of Canadian women is.  I find this interesting considering the US's history with performance enhancements, both caught and obvious yet allowed.  As a Canadian it was frustrating to watch Ben Johnson embarrass our nation while Carl Lewis had to remove syringes from his neck to get the gold (metaphorically, of course).  

However, Sun is a proven cheat and has a terrible attitude.  I only heard praise of Hosszu in 2016, the Canadian media was fawning over her.  I think Sun is a strange hill to die on to defend non-Western athletes.  Efinova has done much more to recover her image and has earned the, marginal, respect of her competitors again.  

1 minute ago, Vektor said:

The thing was initiated by Scott who didn't want to shake his hand. There are swimmers who can handle these situations and there are ones like Sun, but nothing would have happened if Scott didn't want to protest in some way. 

No, it was started by Yang being a drug cheat, destroying evidence and being ridiculously over the top after winning on a technicality.  Some other competitors are protesting silently and peacefully, that doesn't give Sun the right to be aggressive and insulting.  Maybe he's getting his cues from the thugs in HK right now, but I'll leave that to the politics page.  

Just to be clear, I lived and worked in China for 3 years.  I loved it, and the people.  The pollution and weather is what drove me away.  

Just now, Vektor said:

The way the Western media and Western swimmers are treating Sun Yang is just disgusting. I don't care that he's an asshole, this kind of unsportsmanship against any swimmer is unacceptable. Let CAS decide what happened and keep this kind of drama outside the World Championships. There are rules that everyone should follow and all the Western swimmers should trust the system.

Sun got aggressive on the podium and shouted on live TV at another competitor, "You're a loser and I'm a winner!".  And yet it's everyone else's fault.  

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Park Tae-hwan also got disqualified for faulty start in 2012 (but got reinstated later).

I'm surprised that they didn't at least postpone the medal ceremony.

Fina has to pay the bills somehow.  

Warning: Unsubstantiated claims contained in this post! 

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

Sun Yang is absolutely disgusting. He is a disgrace not only for swimming, but also for sport in general. 

At this point, it's FINA's fault for even allowing him to be here.  Same with the Olympics allowing the Russians.  

Apparently twitching on the starting blocks (not false starting) gets you DQ'd, but doping and smashing the evidence is a-o-k.