website statistics
Athletics IAAF World Championships 2019
Posted
Just now, OlympicIRL said:

That's it. And if it works well I would be totally behind it. But this one is just pointless... we already have a men's and women's 4x400m... adding a mixed event in the same distance adds nothing new. If you are going to add it then you have to remove the two specific gender events to make it have some sense, but that would be worse :d

I feel like "politically correct" is just a term to be thrown at anything people don't like.  What is "politically correct" about the mixed relay?  I guess you'd have to define "politically correct" to begin with.  To me, politically correct would mean including a women's version of an event even if there's not enough competitors.  It would mean including competitors from every continent even though they are not the best in the world (something that is already done).  I don't see how a mixed relay is politically correct.  

Posted
Just now, Monzanator said:

110m & 400m hurdles are the BEST track events for me by a country mile. You need both speed & technique and also stamina.

That's great!  That's my point.  All these events are for entertainment.  Mixed relays, in swimming anyway (first time seeing it here in athletics) add a layer of strategy to the event that I find interesting.  

Posted
Just now, Monzanator said:

The rich only get richer which is useless. Same thing as mass start in speed skating.

Out of the answers so far, I understand this the most.  It does seem like just another opportunity to give medals to the same countries.  I don't really follow the "no history" answer, because that can be applied to everything new in order to prevent progress and innovation.  I mean, steeplechase has history but is it a natural event?  Are hurdles necessary?  It's just for entertainment, it's not like any of these events have some sort of intrinsic value outside of athleticism.