website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, that was always known. You can’t just undo law. People who have served their bans will be eligible like it or not.

I think I've seen in IWF suspension decision to Malaysia that they're suspended from participating in Tokyo 2020 whatever date of Olympics is so this decision kind of surprised me 

32 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

I think I've seen in IWF suspension decision to Malaysia that they're suspended from participating in Tokyo 2020 whatever date of Olympics is so this decision kind of surprised me 

That’s different because of the way their qualification system is worded. The IWF is legally within their right to suspend a country that way, while other federations are not.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Plus there's a difference between banning someone from date X to date Y, in which case any event that's after date Y - no matter why it is after that date - is fair game for said someone to compete in, and banning someone from specific competitions, in which case the date doesn't matter. I wonder if anyone ever really thought athletes who would be banned until, let's say, September 2020 would NOT be allowed to compete in Tokyo next year? That'd just be weird.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Plus there's a difference between banning someone from date X to date Y, in which case any event that's after date Y - no matter why it is after that date - is fair game for said someone to compete in, and banning someone from specific competitions, in which case the date doesn't matter. I wonder if anyone ever really thought athletes who would be banned until, let's say, September 2020 would NOT be allowed to compete in Tokyo next year? That'd just be weird.

The amount of people I’ve had to explain this concept to is shocking. People do know that sports law, is still LAW right?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Well, this is not a normal reschedulling in literally any sense. Tokyo 2021 will still be for all intents and purposes Tokyo 2020 (if it is indeed held).

For example, gymnasts born in 2005 will still not be eligible. Why should some cheaters get a different treatment then?

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Well, this is not a normal reschedulling in literally any sense. Tokyo 2021 will still be for all intents and purposes Tokyo 2020 (if it is indeed held).

For example, gymnasts born in 2005 will still not be eligible. Why should some cheaters get a different treatment then?

I’m pretty sure the FIG those who would be technically eligible will be...(I.e birth in 2005).

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Not sure for gymnastics, but is the rule worded sort of the same as in football? (i.e. 'you have to be born after date X')

If so, that's rather simple: postponing an event doesn't mean you're suddenly born on a different date and so that rule simply still counts. Someone who is banned until September 2020 is banned until September 2020, if an event - be it some local tournament or the Olympics - is held after September 2020, said someone is then eligible and that is perfectly legal and fine (much as I'd like cheaters to be out for longer, but that's besides the point).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Not sure for gymnastics, but is the rule worded sort of the same as in football? (i.e. 'you have to be born after date X')

If so, that's rather simple: postponing an event doesn't mean you're suddenly born on a different date and so that rule simply still counts. Someone who is banned until September 2020 is banned until September 2020, if an event - be it some local tournament or the Olympics - is held after September 2020, said someone is then eligible and that is perfectly legal and fine (much as I'd like cheaters to be out for longer, but that's besides the point).

In law you also usually have a little thing called "force majeure". In such scenario normal rules should not apply in some instances.

But alright, I guess all those cheaters will have a new arrow in their quiver for Paris 2024 and onwards - release a deadly virus and hope the blasted thing gets rescheduled. :cheer:

#banbestmen

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The gray area now is age limits from what I gather. “Only people older than 15 as of the start of the Olympics can compete.” NOCs seem to arguing for strict interpretation or loose interpretation of some rules like that.