website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2019

vinipereira

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Old enough to remember the London Olympics....yeah, I think apart from @Olympian1010 we all are :p 

I remember those quite well. The queen went skydiving. I found this odd sport where race on bikes around a wooden track. Bolt won everything. US women’s gymnastics was still popular, and it was Michael Phelp’s last Olympics (at the time).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Again, I think you missed the point. The protest is not against the result per se, but instead against the fact Sun Yang was even allowed to compete.

It's like you know you failed a Math test, but instead of handing in the test so you will receive a low grade, you make a lump out of the paper and swallow it, and ask your teacher to give you an A grade because he's not able to correct the test anymore and he has to believe you scored high. Or ask the teacher to take the test another day.

What difference does that make? Swimmers also can't decide who's allowed to compete.

I mean, we can easily turn this thing on its head. Just ask the athletes in Women's 800m if they would allow Semenya to compete or not. You might not like what you would get there depending on what you think about the Semenya situation. This is why CAS exists, they will make the call, and until then, try to beat him in the pool. 

7 minutes ago, Vektor said:

What difference does that make? Swimmers also can't decide who's allowed to compete.

I mean, we can easily turn this thing on its head. Just ask the athletes in Women's 800m if they would allow Semenya to compete or not. You might not like what you would get there depending on what you think about the Semenya situation. This is why CAS exists, they will make the call, and until then, try to beat him in the pool. 

Semenya is a completely different situation.  She was born the way she is.  Sun chose to cheat (and destroy evidence).  On top of that, Semenya is not disrespectful to her competitors.  

Big fan of Duncan Scott’s protest. That is how you treat a cheater. He was given a standing ovation from all the athletes in the athletes section by the way. I mean completely distasteful behavior for Yang. I’ve never seen a bigger a-hole. I hope he’s booed endlessly during every race in Tokyo (well hopefully he’s not being allowed to compete by then)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

The thing was initiated by Scott who didn't want to shake his hand. There are swimmers who can handle these situations and there are ones like Sun, but nothing would have happened if Scott didn't want to protest in some way. 

Scott shouldn’t be forced to shake anyone’s hand. A handshake on any podium symbolizes mutual respect for each other’s honest effort and recognition of the achievement. Yang deserves recognition as a cheater and that is what he got.

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

And I have seen how Western media treats every non-Western swimmer who dominates multiple events. I still can't forget how some sites started calling Hosszú a doper during Rio because they couldn't handle that a Hungarian swimmer was beating the world in many events. So let's just wait how CAS decides and keep this shit out of the competition. 

Yeah it was disgraceful the way some of our media treated her. I’m sorry about that. We have our own media here now, so I’ll make sure athletes that are competing cleanly aren’t called names or questioned.

58 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Let's not play this game, that's pretty much considered as an obligation at every sport event ever and refusing it is seen as a protest against the official result. 

Correct. Especially when your medal will probably be upgraded in a few months :p

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Correct. Especially when your medal will probably be upgraded in a few months :p

Don't be so sure, if the antidoping officer really failed to provide evidence of her identity/qualification to Sun, then he legally had the right to refuse the test...which he did in an horrible way, but I don't know if this is enough of a reason to cancel his results or ban him for years.

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

And I have seen how Western media treats every non-Western swimmer who dominates multiple events. I still can't forget how some sites started calling Hosszú a doper during Rio because they couldn't handle that a Hungarian swimmer was beating the world in many events. So let's just wait how CAS decides and keep this shit out of the competition. 

And from media it creates an opinion that swimming is a Western-only sport (I don't know what is the right word to describe, Western Bloc sport? :p), thus some people can't just appreciate when some "random" people outside that zone won too many gold.

I still remembered when I posted meme of Phelps-Cseh-Le Clos with the words "Cmon's Guys, Let's Go To School" when Schooling won gold in Rio 2016 and I got a few angry comments :lol:

The joke "Phelps got schooled" was also unwelcome by some people :dunno:

52 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Again, I think you missed the point. The protest is not against the result per se, but instead against the fact Sun Yang was even allowed to compete.

It's like you know you failed a Math test, but instead of handing in the test so you will receive a low grade, you make a lump out of the paper and swallow it, and ask your teacher to give you an A grade because he's not able to correct the test anymore and he has to believe you scored high. Or ask the teacher to take the test another day.

This still would have given me higher maths notes than I got. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!